Arena Reports 6/30 ROH results Pittsburgh, Pa.: Steen vs. Strong for ROH Title, Sammartino tribute, new ROH TV champ wrestles
Jul 1, 2012 - 12:35:26 PM
PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO BOOKMARK US & VISIT US DAILY
Ring of Honor results
June 30, 2012
Report by Jacob Solomon & William Welleck of Latrobe, Pa., PWTorch readers
(1) Jay Lethal pinned Kyle O'Reilly. No one knew who to cheer is this one.
- Fantastic Bruno Sammartino tribute with all of the wrestlers surrounding the ring for a Lifetime Achievement Award. Bruno looks like he could kick everybody's ass by himself even at his age.
(2) Mike Mondo beat Kenny King, Mike Bennett (w/Maria), and Mike Sydal in a four-way match.
(3) New ROH TV champion Adam Cole pinned Pepper Parks. Pepper had a lot of fan support just because they felt bad he had the name Pepper. I think some got Pepper confused with Al Snow's dog, Pepe.
(4) Eddie Edwards pinned Tommaso Ciampa. Candidate for match of the night.
Truth Martini got knocked out of the ring after trying to recruit two Pittsburgh Power players to join the House of Truth.
(5) "Zombie Princess" Jimmy Jacobs beat B.J. Whitmer via count-out when Kevin Steen showed up and prevented B.J. from getting in the ring. Jacobs appears to be the master of playing to the crowd when he knows the camera isn't on him. Funny stuff!
(6) Charlie Haas pinned Rhett Titus after a botched chair shot. I would say it's match of the night except for the piss poor finish. Note to ROH - some kid is going to get hurt if those ringside barriers aren't held down and tighter.
(7) Rhino & Michael Elgin pinned the Briscoes clean in the surprise of the night. Elgin slammed both Briscoes at the same time for the spot of the night. If it doesn't make ROH TV, it's a mistake. It was a good match that just seemed to be lacking motivation for either to win it. The Rhino spear to finish the match looked Sick.
(8) ROH World champion Kevin Steen beat Roderick Strong to retain the ROH World Title. I wasn't a huge Steen fan going in, but I am now. ROH lost money by not keeping the merchandise table open after the show so people could buy Steen shirts. He was that over.
Notes from Jacob: This was only my second time seeing ROH live and once again the show was great from top to bottom. Only one side of bleachers was available for general admission, but I'd say it was about 80 percent full. My guess of total attendance was around 500 people... COO Joe Koff presented Bruno with the award while the roster came out and stood around the ring during the presentation. I didn't see Steen or Jacobs ringside for this and assumed they would interrupt the ceremony but didn't... One truly annoying point to mention is that there appeared to be a plant that passed out streamers early and was trying to start chants every 20 seconds in the front row... ROH is much more organized than TNA when it comes to house shows regarding starting on time, technical aspects, and merchandise... The match of the night was difficult to judge, but I would have to give it to Edwards-Ciampa. Overall, it was a great night of wrestling with each match performing.
THE TORCH REACHES MORE COMBAT ENTERTAINMENT FANS THAN ANY OTHER SOURCE
PWTorch editor Wade Keller has covered pro wrestling full time since 1987 starting with the Pro Wrestling Torch print newsletter. PWTorch.com launched in 1999 and the PWTorch Apps launched in 2008.
He has conducted "Torch Talk" insider interviews with Hulk Hogan, The Rock, Steve Austin, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Eric Bischoff, Jesse Ventura, Lou Thesz, Jerry Lawler, Mick Foley, Jim Ross, Paul Heyman, Bruno Sammartino, Goldberg, more.
He has interviewed big-name players in person incluiding Vince McMahon (at WWE Headquarters), Dana White (in Las Vegas), Eric Bischoff (at the first Nitro at Mall of America), Brock Lesnar (after his first UFC win).
He hosted the weekly Pro Wrestling Focus radio show on KFAN in the early 1990s and hosted the Ultimate Insiders DVD series distributed in retail stories internationally in the mid-2000s including interviews filmed in Los Angeles with Vince Russo & Ed Ferrara and Matt & Jeff Hardy. He currently hosts the most listened to pro wrestling audio show in the world, (the PWTorch Livecast, top ranked in iTunes)
REACHING 1 MILLION+ UNIQUE USERS PER MONTH
500 MILLION CLICKS & LISTENS PER YEAR
MILLIONS OF PWTORCH NEWSLETTERS SOLD
PWTorch offers a VIP membership for $10 a month (or less with an annual sub). It includes nearly 25 years worth of archives from our coverage of pro wrestling dating back to PWTorch Newsletters from the late-'80s filled with insider secrets from every era that are available to VIPers in digital PDF format and Keller's radio show from the early 1990s.
Also, new exclusive top-shelf content every day including a new VIP-exclusive weekly 16 page digital magazine-style (PC and iPad compatible) PDF newsletter packed with exclusive articles and news.
The following features come with a VIP membership which tens of thousands of fans worldwide have enjoyed for many years...
-New Digital PWTorch Newsletter every week
-3 New Digital PDF Back Issues from 5, 10, 20 years ago
-Over 60 new VIP Audio Shows each week
-Ad-free access to all PWTorch.com free articles
-VIP Forum access with daily interaction with PWTorch staff and well-informed fellow wrestling fans
-Tons of archived audio and text articles
-Decades of Torch Talk insider interviews in transcript and audio formats with big name stars. **SIGN UP FOR VIP ACCESS HERE**