ROH News ROH/TNA News: ROH cuts ties with Kenny King following Impact appearance, outlines King's contract situation
Jul 6, 2012 - 12:42:03 AM
PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO BOOKMARK US & VISIT US DAILY
By James Caldwell, PWTorch assistant editor
In the aftermath of current ROH tag champion Kenny King appearing on TNA Impact Thursday night, Ring of Honor issued a statement essentially ending their relationship with King. An update on the future of the ROH Tag Titles held by King and Rhett Titus will be made later.
ROH's main contention is they believe King violated the terms of a contract negotiation window that was established prior to King's contract expiring in late June. ROH, which did not acknowledge TNA by name in a statement released Thursday night, claims King told them Thursday morning that he would not honor ROH's request to not appear on another wrestling television show while in the negotiation period.
The following is the timeline ROH is claiming:
- June 24: King & Rhett Titus captured the ROH Tag Titles at the Best in the World Internet PPV.
- June 24: ROH says King's one-year contract signed in June 2011 expired. Before the contract expired, ROH says an agreement was reached for a contract extension, with the provision that King could negotiate with any other promotion to evaluate his options.
When the "short" extension period ended, King would be free to negotiate with another promotion. However, during the negotiation window, ROH says they agreed that King could not "wrestle for another organization without ROH's permission."
- Tuesday, July 3: King informed ROH that he had a meeting "in Orlando," which implies TNA. ROH says the meeting was "within the scope of the agreement" during the negotiation window.
- Thursday morning, July 5: King told ROH that he would be "wrestling on the Orlando event" Thursday night. Upon being told he did not have permission to appear on another wrestling show during the negotiation window, King replied, according to ROH, that the extension window "seemed fair at the time," but he was told by "others" that it was not fair, so he "did not intend to honor it."
Prior to the June 5 events, King expressed concern over the clause in a written agreement reflecting the June 24 verbal agreement that he could not appear on another wrestling show during negotiations. ROH says King was "unsure if other promotions would accept the negotiation clause." ROH says they told King he could have the written agreement examined by an attorney or "other interested parties" to ensure there was no contract tampering if promotions wanted to negotiate with him.
- Thursday night, July 5: After King appeared on TNA Impact, ROH ended business with King, noting they "consider this breach of his verbal agreement unacceptable."
THE TORCH REACHES MORE COMBAT ENTERTAINMENT FANS THAN ANY OTHER SOURCE
PWTorch editor Wade Keller has covered pro wrestling full time since 1987 starting with the Pro Wrestling Torch print newsletter. PWTorch.com launched in 1999 and the PWTorch Apps launched in 2008.
He has conducted "Torch Talk" insider interviews with Hulk Hogan, The Rock, Steve Austin, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Eric Bischoff, Jesse Ventura, Lou Thesz, Jerry Lawler, Mick Foley, Jim Ross, Paul Heyman, Bruno Sammartino, Goldberg, more.
He has interviewed big-name players in person incluiding Vince McMahon (at WWE Headquarters), Dana White (in Las Vegas), Eric Bischoff (at the first Nitro at Mall of America), Brock Lesnar (after his first UFC win).
He hosted the weekly Pro Wrestling Focus radio show on KFAN in the early 1990s and hosted the Ultimate Insiders DVD series distributed in retail stories internationally in the mid-2000s including interviews filmed in Los Angeles with Vince Russo & Ed Ferrara and Matt & Jeff Hardy. He currently hosts the most listened to pro wrestling audio show in the world, (the PWTorch Livecast, top ranked in iTunes)
REACHING 1 MILLION+ UNIQUE USERS PER MONTH
500 MILLION CLICKS & LISTENS PER YEAR
MILLIONS OF PWTORCH NEWSLETTERS SOLD
PWTorch offers a VIP membership for $10 a month (or less with an annual sub). It includes nearly 25 years worth of archives from our coverage of pro wrestling dating back to PWTorch Newsletters from the late-'80s filled with insider secrets from every era that are available to VIPers in digital PDF format and Keller's radio show from the early 1990s.
Also, new exclusive top-shelf content every day including a new VIP-exclusive weekly 16 page digital magazine-style (PC and iPad compatible) PDF newsletter packed with exclusive articles and news.
The following features come with a VIP membership which tens of thousands of fans worldwide have enjoyed for many years...
-New Digital PWTorch Newsletter every week
-3 New Digital PDF Back Issues from 5, 10, 20 years ago
-Over 60 new VIP Audio Shows each week
-Ad-free access to all PWTorch.com free articles
-VIP Forum access with daily interaction with PWTorch staff and well-informed fellow wrestling fans
-Tons of archived audio and text articles
-Decades of Torch Talk insider interviews in transcript and audio formats with big name stars. **SIGN UP FOR VIP ACCESS HERE**