WWE News WWE News: Smackdown SPOILERS 6/22 - Results for Friday's post-PPV episode, Cena & Triple H appear off-camera
Jun 19, 2012 - 11:17:54 PM
PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO BOOKMARK US & VISIT US DAILY
WWE Smackdown TV taping report
June 19, 2012
Taped in Baltimore, Md.
Report by Liam Renner, PWTorch reader
After the Superstars taping, Matt Striker left and Booker T's music hit to a huge reaction. Michael Cole came out to the expected boos. Before Smackdown, they showed the new "WWE '13" video game trailer. Then, Lilian Garcia came down and officially started the night.
Smackdown SPOILERS 6/22
- After the theme song and pyro, Teddy Long started off by announcing that Mick Foley is the guest GM for the evening, before being quickly brushed aside by Big Show. Show grabbed a mic and said he didn't care about John Laurinaitis being fired. He also said he no longer cares about John Cena and he'll be moving on to the Money in the Bank ladder match. He said no man, or champion, can stop him in a "fair fight."
Suddenly, Brodus Clay's music hit and he took down Big Show with his headbutt. Suddenly, David Otunga ran down to the ring and chopblocked Brodus, who is still selling his knee injury. Otunga then rolled out to the floor and Show beat on Brodus, before hitting the WMD punch. Afterward, Otunga got back in the ring and mocked Brodus, before dancing to his music.
- Next, rather skinny men came out for the next round of the Ryback challenge! Yay?
(1) Ryback beat 2 jobbers. The two were billed from Pittsburgh, which got a good amount of heat since this is Ravens's country! Other than that, it was every other Ryback match we've seen.
- We're positioned slightly behind the Titantron, so we can't totally see, but there was a backstage segment with Foley and Vickie Guerrero, where she announced she'll be running both Raw & Smackdown next week. Foley suggested Vickie use Great Khali as her personal assistant next week.
- Next, Ricardo Rodriguez came out to introduce Alberto Del Rio. Then, Christian came out and we've got an early 2011 rivalry re-ignited!
(2) Alberto Del Rio beat IC champion Christian clean with the Cross Arm-breaker in a non-title match. Very good match, with some great nearfalls. After the match, Cody Rhodes ran down and worked Christian's arm some more. Apparently, they're not done with that feud just yet.
Out next was Kane for a match. Randomly, A.J. was announced as the guest time-keeper. Out next was Daniel Bryan!
(3) Kane beat Bryan via chokeslam. About as good a Kane match as I can remember seeing. Bryan put on the Yes! Lock and A.J. rang the bell, making him think he won. About 20 seconds later, Kane hit the chokeslam for the three count.
- Next, guest GM Mick Foley came to the ring and (after they had to stop and switch his mic) said how great is to be RIGHT HERE, in Baltimore. He was quickly interrupted by Heath Slater. He complained about Cyndi Lauper and Roddy Piper on Raw. Foley said there's no shame in losing to a crafty veteran like Cyndi Lauper. He then brought out Heath's opponent, Zack Ryder!
(4) Zack Ryder beat Heath Slater with the Rough Ryder. Very quick match. Afterwards, Foley got back in the ring and he and Ryder fist-pumped together.
- The Raw Rebound aired.
(5) Prime Time Players (w/AW) beat The Usos. If you've seen this match any other time they've done it, you'll know what to expect.
- Santino came out for "sign of the night" and to do schtick for the live crowd.
- Next out, Jack Swagger cut a "not for TV" promo bragging about how great he was before Triple H came out and Pedigreed him. The crowd was mega-hot for Hunter.
- Of note, Foley came out to say David Otunga would be replacing Laurinaitis in the dark main event.
- Out next, Dolph Ziggler and Sheamus came out for a very sudden No Way Out re-match. It's the TV main event!
(6) World Hvt. champion Sheamus beat Dolph Ziggler (w/Vickie Guerrero) in a non-title match. Solid match. Sheamus won with the Brogue Kick.
Dark Main Event: John Cena beat Big Show & David Otunga in a handicap match. Cena AA'd Show, then pinned Otunga. Afterwards while Cena was still selling, Big Johnny came out with a chair. He hit Cena once, celebrated, then went for a second, and he got the AA to send the crowd home happy.
Overall, not the best show, but some good wrestling made it worth while. Bryan-Kane is the match to watch this week as far as I'm concerned. The crowd ended up being about the same size as the last TV taping I went to here. The arena was maybe half-full.
THE TORCH REACHES MORE COMBAT ENTERTAINMENT FANS THAN ANY OTHER SOURCE
PWTorch editor Wade Keller has covered pro wrestling full time since 1987 starting with the Pro Wrestling Torch print newsletter. PWTorch.com launched in 1999 and the PWTorch Apps launched in 2008.
He has conducted "Torch Talk" insider interviews with Hulk Hogan, The Rock, Steve Austin, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Eric Bischoff, Jesse Ventura, Lou Thesz, Jerry Lawler, Mick Foley, Jim Ross, Paul Heyman, Bruno Sammartino, Goldberg, more.
He has interviewed big-name players in person incluiding Vince McMahon (at WWE Headquarters), Dana White (in Las Vegas), Eric Bischoff (at the first Nitro at Mall of America), Brock Lesnar (after his first UFC win).
He hosted the weekly Pro Wrestling Focus radio show on KFAN in the early 1990s and hosted the Ultimate Insiders DVD series distributed in retail stories internationally in the mid-2000s including interviews filmed in Los Angeles with Vince Russo & Ed Ferrara and Matt & Jeff Hardy. He currently hosts the most listened to pro wrestling audio show in the world, (the PWTorch Livecast, top ranked in iTunes)
REACHING 1 MILLION+ UNIQUE USERS PER MONTH
500 MILLION CLICKS & LISTENS PER YEAR
MILLIONS OF PWTORCH NEWSLETTERS SOLD
PWTorch offers a VIP membership for $10 a month (or less with an annual sub). It includes nearly 25 years worth of archives from our coverage of pro wrestling dating back to PWTorch Newsletters from the late-'80s filled with insider secrets from every era that are available to VIPers in digital PDF format and Keller's radio show from the early 1990s.
Also, new exclusive top-shelf content every day including a new VIP-exclusive weekly 16 page digital magazine-style (PC and iPad compatible) PDF newsletter packed with exclusive articles and news.
The following features come with a VIP membership which tens of thousands of fans worldwide have enjoyed for many years...
-New Digital PWTorch Newsletter every week
-3 New Digital PDF Back Issues from 5, 10, 20 years ago
-Over 60 new VIP Audio Shows each week
-Ad-free access to all PWTorch.com free articles
-VIP Forum access with daily interaction with PWTorch staff and well-informed fellow wrestling fans
-Tons of archived audio and text articles
-Decades of Torch Talk insider interviews in transcript and audio formats with big name stars. **SIGN UP FOR VIP ACCESS HERE**