WWE Battleground PPV News & Notes 7/24
– Dean Ambrose kept the WWE World Title on Smackdown heading into the Brand Split Era.
Ambrose pinned Roman Reigns in a three-way match also involving Seth Rollins in the PPV main event.
– Randy Orton returned to WWE TV after a nine-month absence to hype his Summerslam match against Brock Lesnar. Orton subtly referenced Lesnar’s UFC drug-testing violations, then RKO’ed Chris Jericho in the “Highlight Reel” talking segment.
– John Cena pinned A.J. Styles in The Club vs. Team Cena six-man tag match, likely setting up a singles re-match at Summerslam.
– Bayley made her main WWE roster debut as Sasha Banks’s mystery tag partner against Women’s champion Charlotte and Dana Brooke.
– NXT call-up Mojo Rawley made his main roster debut saving Zack Ryder from a post-match beating at the hands of U.S. champion Rusev.
– In the undercard title matches, Rusev retained the U.S. Title against Zack Ryder and The Miz retained the Intercontinental Title against Darren Young.
– WWE authority figures Shane McMahon & Daniel Bryan (Smackdown) and Shane McMahon & Mick Foley (Raw) were all shown earlier in the show. They were also ringside for the WWE Title main event.