Arena Reports 9/5 Dragon Gate in Los Angeles, Calif.: Dragon Gate debut in L.A. with PAC vs. Shingo
Sep 9, 2008 - 11:11:41 PM
PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO BOOKMARK US & VISIT US DAILY
Dragon Gate L.A. Extreme Night results
September 5, 2008
Los Angeles, Calif.
Report by Matt Massingham, PWTorch contributor
Overall: This was a very fun show and it seemed to mesh well. The fans in attendance were very much into every match and the action was very entertaining. I’d go with PAC-Shingo as Match of the Night with the six-man tag being a close second. The crowd was somewhere around 550-600 from what I saw, so hopefully it’ll lead to more Dragon Gate shows in the L.A. area when they can.
Before the show, we had a special attraction match with Lil Cholo-Infernal-Junior. Some people were down on this match being on the card but all three guys went out there and put on one hell of a match and got the show off to a hot start. Cholo ended up getting the pin on Junior with a variation of the Kudoh Driver while locking in an abdominal stretch.
(1) El Generico beat Genki Horiguchi with the Brainbustaa. Solid opening match with Generico using his usual moves and Genki playing the heel, which was a change of pace since he was a babyface during his first L.A. visit for BOLA in 2006. Real Hazard was ringside and tried to interfere but the Generic Luchador fought them off and got the hard-fought win. After the match, Real Hazard looked to finish off Generico but BxB Hulk, Doi, and Yoshino made the save and then Yoshino took the mic and lead the crowd in a chant of “You go home” toward Gamma.
(2) Necro Butcher beat Stalker Ichikawa. The match only lasted a total of eighteen seconds after Stalker looked to attack but was met with a straight right hand and then was defeated. Stalker got on the mic after and wanted a re-match which Necro granted but Stalker has no luck once again and fell victim to a Tiger Driver on a number of chairs that were brought into the ring.
(3) Dragon Kid & Kendo beat Taku Isawa & Keni’chiro Arai. Dos Caras was originally Dragon Kid’s partner but he was unable to attend due to an eye injury, so Vampiro was announced. But, he was not at the show, which drew a large cheer from the crowd when it was announced before the show. Solid match with Dragon Kid getting in his usual offense as Kendo seemed to just come in for a few minutes and hit a few spots before leaving. Finish saw Dragon Kid hit the Ultra Huricanrana for the win. After the match, Genki ran in and attacked Dragon Kid but someone in a Dos Caras mask made the save, hit a superkick, and then a very familiar Schwein on Genki. Of course the masked man was Dragon Gate Ace CIMA, who welcomed the crowd and shook hands with Kendo but walked out before he could do the same to Dragon Kid.
(4) Shingo beat PAC. A very solid match that saw Shingo control it by grounding the smaller man with a number of power moves while PAC used his high flying to try and pick up the win. After a number of near falls and PAC jumping all around the ring Shingo hit the Made in Japan and picked up the hard-fought win.
(5) Ryo Saito & Susumu Yokosuka beat “The Young Bucks” Nick & Matt Jackson to retain the Open the Dream Gate titles. Very solid tag match with both teams hitting some high flying spots and it looked like the Bucks could have walked out with the straps following a successful trip to Dragon Gate earlier in the month but Matt fell victim to the Bridge giving Saito and Susumu the victory.
(6) YAMATO & Yasushi Kanda & GAMMA beat Naruki Doi & Masato Yoshino & BxB Hulk to retain the Open the Triangle Gate titles. This was a very different six-man than I’ve seen from Dragon Gate. Instead of just a number of spots all rolled into one, it was a nice match with Hulk taking a large amount of the offense until he got the hot tag to Doi. Finish saw Hulk look to finish off GAMMA from the ropes but GAMMA countered and hit the Nadreshki Tombstone Piledriver, giving his team the win.
After the match, Doi challenged GAMMA to a singles match, but GAMMA retreated to the back when his sneak attack backfired and he ran to the back with the rest of Real Hazard. Doi then took the mic and thanked the fans for coming out and supporting Dragon Gate. All of the babyfaces from the back came out and posed for a group picture. Doi said they would be coming back to Los Angeles again next year.
THE TORCH REACHES MORE COMBAT ENTERTAINMENT FANS THAN ANY OTHER SOURCE
PWTorch editor Wade Keller has covered pro wrestling full time since 1987 starting with the Pro Wrestling Torch print newsletter. PWTorch.com launched in 1999 and the PWTorch Apps launched in 2008.
He has conducted "Torch Talk" insider interviews with Hulk Hogan, The Rock, Steve Austin, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Eric Bischoff, Jesse Ventura, Lou Thesz, Jerry Lawler, Mick Foley, Jim Ross, Paul Heyman, Bruno Sammartino, Goldberg, more.
He has interviewed big-name players in person incluiding Vince McMahon (at WWE Headquarters), Dana White (in Las Vegas), Eric Bischoff (at the first Nitro at Mall of America), Brock Lesnar (after his first UFC win).
He hosted the weekly Pro Wrestling Focus radio show on KFAN in the early 1990s and hosted the Ultimate Insiders DVD series distributed in retail stories internationally in the mid-2000s including interviews filmed in Los Angeles with Vince Russo & Ed Ferrara and Matt & Jeff Hardy. He currently hosts the most listened to pro wrestling audio show in the world, (the PWTorch Livecast, top ranked in iTunes)
REACHING 1 MILLION+ UNIQUE USERS PER MONTH
500 MILLION CLICKS & LISTENS PER YEAR
MILLIONS OF PWTORCH NEWSLETTERS SOLD
PWTorch offers a VIP membership for $10 a month (or less with an annual sub). It includes nearly 25 years worth of archives from our coverage of pro wrestling dating back to PWTorch Newsletters from the late-'80s filled with insider secrets from every era that are available to VIPers in digital PDF format and Keller's radio show from the early 1990s.
Also, new exclusive top-shelf content every day including a new VIP-exclusive weekly 16 page digital magazine-style (PC and iPad compatible) PDF newsletter packed with exclusive articles and news.
The following features come with a VIP membership which tens of thousands of fans worldwide have enjoyed for many years...
-New Digital PWTorch Newsletter every week
-3 New Digital PDF Back Issues from 5, 10, 20 years ago
-Over 60 new VIP Audio Shows each week
-Ad-free access to all PWTorch.com free articles
-VIP Forum access with daily interaction with PWTorch staff and well-informed fellow wrestling fans
-Tons of archived audio and text articles
-Decades of Torch Talk insider interviews in transcript and audio formats with big name stars. **SIGN UP FOR VIP ACCESS HERE**