Arena Reports 8/11 WWE results Shanghai, China: Sheamus defends World Title in four-way, Team Orton six-man tag, Bryan vs. Kofi, more
Aug 11, 2012 - 11:57:26 AM
PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO BOOKMARK US & VISIT US DAILY
WWE Smackdown house show results
August 11, 2012
Report by Garron, PWTorch correspondent
I traveled all the way to Shanghai from Hong Kong to watch my first live show, so I was really excited, especially since it was my first live event, and I missed out on two Raws when I was living in Boston. Pretty packed house in Shanghai. About 25 percent of the arena was taped off (behind the entrance ramp and nosebleeds opposite entrance). I came into this expecting weird crowd reactions. My friends Craig, Phil, and my dad had seats by the entrance ramp, which made for good photos.
There were a lot of Cena t-shirts. They'll be disappointed that he's not here. Daniel Bryan is way over. There was a whole section of Bryan fans with "Yes!" signs. I was a little disappointed in two things: no pyro at all for the show and the security guards kept telling people to sit down during the matches. People always stood for the good spots, but security kept yelling at the crowd. Also, buying shirts was a mess. People in Shanghai don't like to line up for things.
(1) Justin Gabriel beat Jack Swagger. Long match. Justin is over, Swagger not so much. Gabriel won with the 450 splash in about ten minutes. Oddly slow-paced match.
(2) Yoshi Tatsu beat Jinder Mahal. Mahal came out and did a promo in Punjabi and English, challenging anyone from the back before Yoshi Tatsu came out. Quiet crowd and dead most of the match. Yoshi won with his finisher, though, he might have hurt his arm. The ref was checking on him a lot after the match.
(3) Wade Barrett beat Ted DiBiase. A loud "Welcome Back" chant started and Barrett shushed everyone. Huge pops for DiBiase's t-shirt when he teased throwing it into the crowd. Very good
match with Barrett using a newer finisher, which looked something like a swinging Rock Bottom as he catches a guy running into him (Winds of Change). Definitely better than Wasteland.
(4) Kelly Kelly beat Natalya. Huge pops for Kelly's entrance. Snoozefest except for Natalya's heel antics, which were pretty funny. Kelly won with the leg drop in about five minutes
(5) Randy Orton & Rey Mysterio & Zack Ryder beat Primo & Epico & John Laurinaitis in a six-man tag match. Orton got the pop of the night. Huge pops for all the faces throughout the match. A brawl ended in Johnny taking all of the finishers and Orton pinning him after a 619 into an RKO. The faces stayed a while after the match to pose for pictures and sign autographs into the intermission. Orton also got everyone into a Ryder chant and held up his arm for the crowd.
When they were leaving, a guy hopped the rails and ran towards Orton and was tackled by security. Orton brushed his shoulders and smiled more for the crowd.
(6) WWE tag champion Kofi Kingston beat Daniel Bryan. Bryan is way over, with both pops and heat. He teased leaving the ring when the crowd started A.J. chants. They both played to the crowd great with the "Yes / No" chants. This was easily the match of the night lasting over 20 minutes with Kofi winning clean.
(7) U.S. champion Santino beat Cody Rhodes to retain the U.S. Title. Cody came out and gave a really good promo on how he was the Royal Rumble MVP. He ven threw in some Mandarin at the end (couldn't hear all of it, but I believe it was "I'm not scared of the Cobra." The crowd loved Santino's comedy act, and he won with the Cobra.
(8) World Hvt. champion Sheamus beat Kane, Alberto Del Rio, and Big Show in a Fatal Four-way match to retain the World Title. Sheamus won with the Broge Kick on Del Rio in a very good match with a lot of good nearfalls that lasted about 15 minutes. Del Rio was particularly good in the match.
Overall, this was a very good show and I advise everyone to go out of their way to watch a house show if they like longer matches, with the wrestlers clearly playing more toward the crowd.
(1) Randy Orton (by far)
(2) Rey Mysterio
(3) Daniel Bryan
(1) Daniel Bryan
(2) Alberto Del Rio
THE TORCH REACHES MORE COMBAT ENTERTAINMENT FANS THAN ANY OTHER SOURCE
PWTorch editor Wade Keller has covered pro wrestling full time since 1987 starting with the Pro Wrestling Torch print newsletter. PWTorch.com launched in 1999 and the PWTorch Apps launched in 2008.
He has conducted "Torch Talk" insider interviews with Hulk Hogan, The Rock, Steve Austin, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Eric Bischoff, Jesse Ventura, Lou Thesz, Jerry Lawler, Mick Foley, Jim Ross, Paul Heyman, Bruno Sammartino, Goldberg, more.
He has interviewed big-name players in person incluiding Vince McMahon (at WWE Headquarters), Dana White (in Las Vegas), Eric Bischoff (at the first Nitro at Mall of America), Brock Lesnar (after his first UFC win).
He hosted the weekly Pro Wrestling Focus radio show on KFAN in the early 1990s and hosted the Ultimate Insiders DVD series distributed in retail stories internationally in the mid-2000s including interviews filmed in Los Angeles with Vince Russo & Ed Ferrara and Matt & Jeff Hardy. He currently hosts the most listened to pro wrestling audio show in the world, (the PWTorch Livecast, top ranked in iTunes)
REACHING 1 MILLION+ UNIQUE USERS PER MONTH
500 MILLION CLICKS & LISTENS PER YEAR
MILLIONS OF PWTORCH NEWSLETTERS SOLD
PWTorch offers a VIP membership for $10 a month (or less with an annual sub). It includes nearly 25 years worth of archives from our coverage of pro wrestling dating back to PWTorch Newsletters from the late-'80s filled with insider secrets from every era that are available to VIPers in digital PDF format and Keller's radio show from the early 1990s.
Also, new exclusive top-shelf content every day including a new VIP-exclusive weekly 16 page digital magazine-style (PC and iPad compatible) PDF newsletter packed with exclusive articles and news.
The following features come with a VIP membership which tens of thousands of fans worldwide have enjoyed for many years...
-New Digital PWTorch Newsletter every week
-3 New Digital PDF Back Issues from 5, 10, 20 years ago
-Over 60 new VIP Audio Shows each week
-Ad-free access to all PWTorch.com free articles
-VIP Forum access with daily interaction with PWTorch staff and well-informed fellow wrestling fans
-Tons of archived audio and text articles
-Decades of Torch Talk insider interviews in transcript and audio formats with big name stars. **SIGN UP FOR VIP ACCESS HERE**