Arena Reports SHOW RESULTS - 1/3 WWE in Fayetteville, N.C.: Cena vs. Orton kicks off 2014, Ziggler in show-stealer, very good Tag Title match, NXT wrestler faces Ryder, more
Jan 4, 2014 - 12:43:12 AM
PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO BOOKMARK US & VISIT US DAILY
WWE Live house show results
January 3, 2014
Report by Jarred Hufford & Stephen Maxwell, PWTorch readers
Note from Jarred: Earlier in the day, Goldust and Cody Rhodes did an autograph signing on Fort Bragg. They had an estimated turn-out of 800 people. Very nice guys, and Goldust was even a good sport when giving him a hard time about his Dallas Cowboys losing. Cody laughed at him and teased him as well.
Note from Stephen: The arena was about two-thirds full of fairly enthusiastic fans. I liked the new (to me) house show set, which included a lighted stage with ramp, a mini-tron sandwiched between two smaller video screens, and smoke machines. The house show presentations continue to improve.
(1) Sin Cara beat Ryback with a roll-up reversing the Shell Shock for a surprise pin. Good opening match. The new Sin Cara is so much more fluid in the ring. Ryback actually got a lot of cheers with a few Goldberg chants mixed in, but he heeled it up to get booed.
(2) Alexander Rusev beat Zack Ryder via submission with the Camel Clutch after reversing the Rough Ryder. Slow match, Ryder got some good cheers and Rusev got a lot of boos by doing an opening promo in Russian, riling riled up the crowd with his best Nikita Koloff "crush the competition" promo. The crowd got behind Ryder in his comebacks, but submitted to the Clutch.
(3) Bella Twins beat Alicia Fox & Aksana in a Fans's Choice match of dance-off or a match. Alicia and Aksana danced horribly, then attacked the Bellas as they danced and did the worm. They tried to leave and then the Bellas called them back for a fight. They chased them down and threw them back into the ring. Brie Bella did most of the work before scoring the pin.
(4) Tensai beat Brodus Clay. Clay attacked Tensai on his way to the ring. Brodus beat him up a lot and then trashed-talked him and the fans before Tensai got up and asked the ref to start the match. Tensai won with a quick roll-up about two minutes into things. Brodus got a chair and went to attack, but Tensai kicked it into his face. Nothing special about a match meant to establish Clay's heel character.
(5) Dolph Ziggler beat Alberto Del Rio. Amazing, outstanding, physical back-and-forth match that really played to the crowd. Both wrestlers had the crowd involved from throwing their shirts to every nearfall. Ziggler won with Zig-Zag after reversing the Cross Armbreaker. Ziggler had a huge reaction and he really should be higher on the card. The crowd loved him.
[ Intermission. Ring announcer Justin Roberts pushed autographs from John Cena and Randy Orton. ]
(6) Great Khali beat Curtis Axel with the giant chop. Dud of a match. Khali can barely walk; it's sad to see live. Kids still like him, though. Axel got no heat at all and sold like crazy for Khali in a comedy match.
(7) WWE tag champions Cody Rhodes & Goldust beat The Real Americans (without Zeb Colter) after the Cross Rhodes on Swagger. Fantastic tag match with lots of nearfalls and the hot tag to Cody after Goldust was in trouble for most of the match. Cody really gets the crowd behind him and he hit a perfect moonsault to huge cheers from the crowd. The match lived up to the standards of quality in many of WWE's TV tag matches as of late.
(8) John Cena beat WWE World Hvt. champion Randy Orton via DQ. Orton hit Cena with a low blow to cause the DQ. Typical Cena and Orton match with the usual spots. Cena hit the AA after the match to send the crowd home happy. Very pro-Cena crowd with tons of kids in the audience. Both received tremendous responses, but Cena's was incredible. There's a reason he's still at the top
Also of note, there were a lot of C.M. Punk and Daniel Bryan t-shirts in the crowd, plus all the Cena fans. Good show with no return date announced.
THE TORCH REACHES MORE COMBAT ENTERTAINMENT FANS THAN ANY OTHER SOURCE
PWTorch editor Wade Keller has covered pro wrestling full time since 1987 starting with the Pro Wrestling Torch print newsletter. PWTorch.com launched in 1999 and the PWTorch Apps launched in 2008.
He has conducted "Torch Talk" insider interviews with Hulk Hogan, The Rock, Steve Austin, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Eric Bischoff, Jesse Ventura, Lou Thesz, Jerry Lawler, Mick Foley, Jim Ross, Paul Heyman, Bruno Sammartino, Goldberg, more.
He has interviewed big-name players in person incluiding Vince McMahon (at WWE Headquarters), Dana White (in Las Vegas), Eric Bischoff (at the first Nitro at Mall of America), Brock Lesnar (after his first UFC win).
He hosted the weekly Pro Wrestling Focus radio show on KFAN in the early 1990s and hosted the Ultimate Insiders DVD series distributed in retail stories internationally in the mid-2000s including interviews filmed in Los Angeles with Vince Russo & Ed Ferrara and Matt & Jeff Hardy. He currently hosts the most listened to pro wrestling audio show in the world, (the PWTorch Livecast, top ranked in iTunes)
REACHING 1 MILLION+ UNIQUE USERS PER MONTH
500 MILLION CLICKS & LISTENS PER YEAR
MILLIONS OF PWTORCH NEWSLETTERS SOLD
PWTorch offers a VIP membership for $10 a month (or less with an annual sub). It includes nearly 25 years worth of archives from our coverage of pro wrestling dating back to PWTorch Newsletters from the late-'80s filled with insider secrets from every era that are available to VIPers in digital PDF format and Keller's radio show from the early 1990s.
Also, new exclusive top-shelf content every day including a new VIP-exclusive weekly 16 page digital magazine-style (PC and iPad compatible) PDF newsletter packed with exclusive articles and news.
The following features come with a VIP membership which tens of thousands of fans worldwide have enjoyed for many years...
-New Digital PWTorch Newsletter every week
-3 New Digital PDF Back Issues from 5, 10, 20 years ago
-Over 60 new VIP Audio Shows each week
-Ad-free access to all PWTorch.com free articles
-VIP Forum access with daily interaction with PWTorch staff and well-informed fellow wrestling fans
-Tons of archived audio and text articles
-Decades of Torch Talk insider interviews in transcript and audio formats with big name stars. **SIGN UP FOR VIP ACCESS HERE**