Arena Reports SHOW RESULTS - 5/3 NJPW'S "Wrestling Dontaku 2015" in Tokyo, Japan: Nakamura vs. Goto IC Title main event, new IWGP Jr. Tag Champs, Omega-Shelley, Styles, more
May 3, 2015 - 2:12:08 PM
PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO BOOKMARK US & VISIT US DAILY
New Japan "Wrestling Dontaku 2015" Results
May 3, 2015
Tokyo, Japan at Korakuen Hall
Report by James Caldwell, PWTorch assistant editor
The event can be viewed through NJPW's pay streaming New Japan World service HERE.
(1) Yuji Nagata & Jushin Thunder Liger & Tiger Mask IV & Mascara Dorada beat Manabu Nakanishi & Captain New Japan & Ryusuke Taguchi & KUSHIDA. Nagata pinned Captain for the win. A fast-paced, entertaining multi-man opening match.
(2) Kota Ibushi & Yohei Komatsu beat Naito & Sho Tanaka when Komatsu submitted Tanaka.
(3) Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima & Honma beat Bullet Club (Bad Luck Fale & Tama Tonga & Cody Hall) in a six-man tag match. Honma pinned Hall with his trademark Kokeshi fall-down top-rope headbutt. Bullet Club 0-1 on the night.
(4) Young Bucks (Matt Jackson & Nick Jackson) captured the IWGP Jr. Hvt. Tag Titles in a three-team match against IWGP Jr. tag champs RPG Vice (Rocky Romero & Baretta) and ReDragon (Bobby Fish & Kyle O'Reilly). Matt & Nick hit More Bang For Your Buck on Baretta for the win. There was a mid-match superplex spot to the outside that took out all of the teams and the young boys checking on the participants. It even generated a rare replay, then nearly generated a triple 20-count, but all three teams made it back into the ring to continue the match. Lots of close nearfalls, then the Bucks took out O'Reilly on the outside and finished Baretta in the ring. Bullet Club 1-1 on the night.
(5) IWGP Jr. Hvt. champion Kenny Omega beat Alex Shelley to retain the IWGP Jr. Hvt. Title. Shelley had the match won, but Young Bucks showed up and pulled the ref out of the ring. So, Shelley's tag partner, KUSHIDA, took out the Young Bucks, then Shelley hit Sliced Bread back in the ring, but Omega kicked out just before three. Omega responded with a Shining Wizard and inside cradle piledriver for the pin and the win. Major heat on Bullet Club from the crowd, which wanted Shelley to win. Bullet Club 2-1 on the night.
(6) Team ROH (IWGP World tag champions Mike Bennett & Matt Taven & Maria Kanellis) beat Team Bullet Club (Karl Anderson & Doc Gallows & Amber Gallows) in a rare mixed tag match. For the finish, Anderson's infatuation with Maria led to him getting low-blowed, then Maria rolled up Amber for the win. Bullet Club 2-2 on the night.
After the match, Anderson pretended to save Maria from a post-match attack by Gallows, but Anderson fed Maria into an uppercut from Gallows. Gallows and Anderson then hit Magic Killer on Maria. Bennett and Taven ran into the ring to chase off Anderson & Gallows afterward. Unfortunate post-match angle trying to get heat on Bullet Club.
(7) Tanahashi & NEVER Openweight champion Togi Makabe & Shibata beat Tomohiro Ishii & Toru Yano & Sakuraba in a six-man tag match. The match built to Makabe and Ishii resuming their battle of hard-hitting heavyweights. Then, Tanahashi got a measure of revenge on Yano by pinning him with an inside cradle. Shibata took off to the back, leaving Tanahashi and Makabe to celebrate in the ring.
(8) Bullet Club (IWGP World Hvt. champion A.J. Styles & Yujiro Takahashi) beat Kazuchika Okada & YOSHI-HASHI. Styles pinned Yoshi with a brainbuster into the Styles Clash for the pin. The crowd freaks out every time Styles goes for the Clash. Bullet Club finished 3-2 on the night.
After the match, Styles and Okada had a face-to-face confrontation to preview their upcoming IWGP World Hvt. Title match. Styles tried a cheap-shot and Clash on the title belt, but Okada blocked and teased the Rainmaker lariat, but Styles ducked and bailed from the ring. Okada held up the title belt, then gave it back to Styles, who yelled at the fans: "I'm the champ!"
(9) Hirooki Goto beat IWGP IC champion Shinsuke Nakamura to capture the IWGP Intercontinental Title. Goto kicked out of the Boma Ye knee, then Nakamura kicked out lariats until he could not escape the "Shouten" vertical suplex swinging slam. Nakamura's reign ended in an absolutely amazing main event. Goto got a full post-match celebration to kick off his first singles title reign in New Japan.
THE TORCH REACHES MORE COMBAT ENTERTAINMENT FANS THAN ANY OTHER SOURCE
PWTorch editor Wade Keller has covered pro wrestling full time since 1987 starting with the Pro Wrestling Torch print newsletter. PWTorch.com launched in 1999 and the PWTorch Apps launched in 2008.
He has conducted "Torch Talk" insider interviews with Hulk Hogan, The Rock, Steve Austin, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Eric Bischoff, Jesse Ventura, Lou Thesz, Jerry Lawler, Mick Foley, Jim Ross, Paul Heyman, Bruno Sammartino, Goldberg, more.
He has interviewed big-name players in person incluiding Vince McMahon (at WWE Headquarters), Dana White (in Las Vegas), Eric Bischoff (at the first Nitro at Mall of America), Brock Lesnar (after his first UFC win).
He hosted the weekly Pro Wrestling Focus radio show on KFAN in the early 1990s and hosted the Ultimate Insiders DVD series distributed in retail stories internationally in the mid-2000s including interviews filmed in Los Angeles with Vince Russo & Ed Ferrara and Matt & Jeff Hardy. He currently hosts the most listened to pro wrestling audio show in the world, (the PWTorch Livecast, top ranked in iTunes)
REACHING 1 MILLION+ UNIQUE USERS PER MONTH
500 MILLION CLICKS & LISTENS PER YEAR
MILLIONS OF PWTORCH NEWSLETTERS SOLD
PWTorch offers a VIP membership for $10 a month (or less with an annual sub). It includes nearly 25 years worth of archives from our coverage of pro wrestling dating back to PWTorch Newsletters from the late-'80s filled with insider secrets from every era that are available to VIPers in digital PDF format and Keller's radio show from the early 1990s.
Also, new exclusive top-shelf content every day including a new VIP-exclusive weekly 16 page digital magazine-style (PC and iPad compatible) PDF newsletter packed with exclusive articles and news.
The following features come with a VIP membership which tens of thousands of fans worldwide have enjoyed for many years...
-New Digital PWTorch Newsletter every week
-3 New Digital PDF Back Issues from 5, 10, 20 years ago
-Over 60 new VIP Audio Shows each week
-Ad-free access to all PWTorch.com free articles
-VIP Forum access with daily interaction with PWTorch staff and well-informed fellow wrestling fans
-Tons of archived audio and text articles
-Decades of Torch Talk insider interviews in transcript and audio formats with big name stars. **SIGN UP FOR VIP ACCESS HERE**