TNA News Interview Highlights: Jarrett comments on Hogan, Savage, Piper, Sting, Hall, Nash
Feb 10, 2004 - 5:37:00 PM
PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO BOOKMARK US & VISIT US DAILY
Recap courtesy of Adam Martin of www.WrestleView.com.
Wrestling News Live welcomed the NWA World Heavyweight Champion and NWA TNA star Jeff Jarrett to the program this past week. Jarrett talks about Hulk Hogan's status with TNA, a possible appearance by Randy Savage, the upcoming Bound for Glory PPV and so much more! Be sure to log on to www.wrestlingnewslive.com for more information on how to listen to the show live every Monday night and hear the show 24/7 archived via Live365.com with hosts Trey Stone, JSK, Vabamm & Adam Martin!
- Jeff Jarrett joins the show and mentions how busy things have been lately for him in NWA TNA and how everyone in the company looks forward to the Wednesday night pay per view event every week.
- Host Trey Stone asks Jarrett if Hulk Hogan is in our out for Bound for Glory. Jarrett said TBD (to be determined). He mentioned how the angle of Hogan coming to TNA got really hot and heavy during the months of October and November, but unfortunately the relationship never fully blossomed as they would have hoped. He said never say never when it comes to Hogan coming to TNA.
- Host JSK asks what Sting's status with TNA is at the moment following his numerous appearances with the company in 2003. Jarrett said there is an ongoing relationship between Sting and TNA about possible appearances with the company in the future. He said that Sting has his priorities on several different things at the moment, but noted how he is definitely back on the wrestling scene in terms of making appearances for TNA.
- JSK asks Jarrett to run down a typical day of what its like at the NWA TNA offices and when he officially calls it a day. Jarrett said it all depends on what day he is speaking of. He said if it's on Wednesday, it starts around 8 a.m. and doesn't get done until about 11 p.m. because a lot of careful planning takes place on the day of the show. He said the thing he enjoys the most about the business is the in-ring performance and is always on top of that part on a weekly basis. Jarrett mentions how Monday and Tuesday are mostly the creative and production days for the company. Jarrett said Thursday and Friday are mostly the business days that have to do with advertising, internet and other important things to the company. He mentioned how last Friday he ended up doing two business meetings and ended up wrestling in Mississippi the same night. Jarrett said that day started at four in the morning on Friday and ended sometime on Saturday morning.
- Trey Stone mentions how Randy Savage's music is in the new TNA and intro and asks if he will be on his way to NWA TNA anytime soon. Jarrett said Savage has always marched to the beat of his own drummer and knows how focused he is at this time on his music career. He mentioned how the icon word has been thrown around loosely as of late with other wrestlers, but feels Savage deserves that title just as much as anybody else that has been around as long as he has. Jarrett said he would love to retire Savage just like how he retired Hulk Hogan and said he would leave it at that.
- JSK asks Jarrett how the status of getting a TV deal for NWA TNA is going. Jarrett said, and apologized if he said the same in an article before, that the only way a TV deal would go down for TNA is if it was right for both parties involved. He said a new player has just stepped up in the last two weeks that has shown interest in the TNA product. Jarrett said nothing has been finalized as of yet, but did say negotiations have started back up in a big way in the last two to three months. He mentioned how a lot of things go into finalizing a TV deal and said how they are still in the organizing stages of that at the moment if a TV deal does end up taking place.
- Trey Stone then brings up the topic of Jonny Fairplay, asking why he was brought in to the company in the first place and what his future role will be with TNA. Jarrett said people either love the Fairplay character or just plain hate him. He said Jonny has some background in the wrestling industry and feels that his longevity with the company will soon be proved in the coming months. Jarrett mentions how Fairplay has great charisma and relates his character to the legendary type managers such as Jimmy Hart, Jim Cornette and Freddie Blassie. He said he can't wait for the debut of Fairplay's new show, titled Playing Fair with Jonny, that will debut on TNA on February 18th.
- JSK asks about Roddy Piper's status with NWA TNA at the moment. Jarrett brought up how Piper made a statement the last time he was at TNA, saying how he fought a lot of battles for himself to get the name of Roddy Piper and mentioned how he has one big fight left in him still. He mentioned how Piper wants to pay a tribute to the guy that's got him started in the business, the NWA. Jarrett said Piper would no doubt be back with the company very soon.
- Trey Stone brings up rumors of Ken Shamrock and The Outsiders (Kevin Nash & Scott Hall) appearing at the upcoming Bound for Glory pay per view event in April. Jarrett said TNA will be releasing a statement regarding the event very soon with a full rundown of the talent roster expected to be at the event. He mentioned how there has been others rumored to be at the show besides Shamrock and The Outsiders and is hoping to clear everything up very soon once the statement is released.
- Trey Stone jokes about Janet Jackson and Justin Timberlake possibly performing at Bound for Glory. Jarrett laughed and said you never know. JSK asked Jarrett if he thought the incident during the halftime of the Super Bowl was planned or an accident. Jarrett says, "you are asking someone a question like that from the wrestling business?" He said he was surprised how both denied it was an accident, but said it is their story and they can tell it any way they want.
- JSK asks about the rumors of country music star Toby Keith performing at the Bound for Glory PPV as well. Jarrett said you never know, but said a lot of things about the show will be released very soon and said he would rather it be a surprise instead.
- Trey Stone asks if Raven will be given a shot at fulfilling his "destiny" as he talks about on TNA by gaining a shot at the NWA World Heavyweight Title. Jarrett said Raven would definitely be getting a shot in the near future, but mentioned how he defended the title against him last year and was able to walk away the champion still.
- Talk turns to who Jarrett feels will be given the next big push in TNA similar to what A.J. Styles received last year. Jarrett said there is a lot of guys on the TNA roster that fight every Wednesday night to get the opportunity shine and said he could talk for hours on who could be next in line. He mentioned how a lot of guys will be given the chance to step up and run with the ball so to speak in 2004.
Don't forget to check out www.WrestlingNewsLive.com to hear the full audio version of this great interview!
THE TORCH REACHES MORE COMBAT ENTERTAINMENT FANS THAN ANY OTHER SOURCE
PWTorch editor Wade Keller has covered pro wrestling full time since 1987 starting with the Pro Wrestling Torch print newsletter. PWTorch.com launched in 1999 and the PWTorch Apps launched in 2008.
He has conducted "Torch Talk" insider interviews with Hulk Hogan, The Rock, Steve Austin, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Eric Bischoff, Jesse Ventura, Lou Thesz, Jerry Lawler, Mick Foley, Jim Ross, Paul Heyman, Bruno Sammartino, Goldberg, more.
He has interviewed big-name players in person incluiding Vince McMahon (at WWE Headquarters), Dana White (in Las Vegas), Eric Bischoff (at the first Nitro at Mall of America), Brock Lesnar (after his first UFC win).
He hosted the weekly Pro Wrestling Focus radio show on KFAN in the early 1990s and hosted the Ultimate Insiders DVD series distributed in retail stories internationally in the mid-2000s including interviews filmed in Los Angeles with Vince Russo & Ed Ferrara and Matt & Jeff Hardy. He currently hosts the most listened to pro wrestling audio show in the world, (the PWTorch Livecast, top ranked in iTunes)
REACHING 1 MILLION+ UNIQUE USERS PER MONTH
500 MILLION CLICKS & LISTENS PER YEAR
MILLIONS OF PWTORCH NEWSLETTERS SOLD
PWTorch offers a VIP membership for $10 a month (or less with an annual sub). It includes nearly 25 years worth of archives from our coverage of pro wrestling dating back to PWTorch Newsletters from the late-'80s filled with insider secrets from every era that are available to VIPers in digital PDF format and Keller's radio show from the early 1990s.
Also, new exclusive top-shelf content every day including a new VIP-exclusive weekly 16 page digital magazine-style (PC and iPad compatible) PDF newsletter packed with exclusive articles and news.
The following features come with a VIP membership which tens of thousands of fans worldwide have enjoyed for many years...
-New Digital PWTorch Newsletter every week
-3 New Digital PDF Back Issues from 5, 10, 20 years ago
-Over 60 new VIP Audio Shows each week
-Ad-free access to all PWTorch.com free articles
-VIP Forum access with daily interaction with PWTorch staff and well-informed fellow wrestling fans
-Tons of archived audio and text articles
-Decades of Torch Talk insider interviews in transcript and audio formats with big name stars. **SIGN UP FOR VIP ACCESS HERE**