THE SPECIALISTS COLLECTIBLES COLUMN: Figure Five Tuesday - The Top 5 "One and Done" Remco AWA Figures
May 21, 2013 - 4:02:15 PM
PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO BOOKMARK US & VISIT US DAILY
By Michael Moore, PWTorch Collectibles specialist
Remco’s line of AWA wrestling toys from 1985 produced the first toys of some of wrestling’s top stars, including Ric Flair, the Road Warriors, Curt Hennig, the Fabulous Freebirds, and the Midnight Rockers. But that line also gave fans the only action figures to date of many top stars of the AWA and other territories from that era. Since 1985, no other toy companies have released figures of Jerry “Crusher” Blackwell, “Playboy” Buddy Rose, Baron Von Raschke, or Carlos Colon.
This week’s Figure Five looks at the top five wrestlers from Remco’s AWA line who never again appeared in another toy line. A similar top five for LJN’s WWF Wrestling Superstars line appeared in the May 13 PWTorch Collectibles Column.
(5) Jimmy Garvin. “Gorgeous” Jimmy was a world title contender in the AWA, main eventer in World Class Championship Wrestling, and a singles and tag team star in Jim Crockett Promotions and WCW. He appeared twice in Remco’s AWA line, first in a Series 2 three-pack with “Mr. Electricity” Steve Regal and Precious, and then in a Series 3 “Greatest Grudges” two-pack with Scott Hall. There are actually two types of the Garvin figure, one on a flabby body and one on a muscular body.
(4) Sheik Adnan Al-Kaissie. The Sheik was one of the AWA’s most nefarious villains, first as a challenger to Verne Gagne’s world title and then as the leader of an evil army. His only figure was included in the rare Mat Mania series and is one of the most valuable and scarcest wrestling toys on the secondary market.
The figure came with several accessories, including a red robe and white agal, which are almost impossible to find today. Rare packaged figures sometimes sell for more than $1,000. A loose figure with no accessories recently sold for $222.59. In the mid-2000s Jakks made a Sgt. Slaughter-Col. Mustafa two-pack in its Classic WWE Superstars line, but never made a toy of Gen. Adnan.
(3) Boris Zhukov. Like his manager, the Sheik, Zhukov was also included in the Mat Mania series and is incredibly rare. The figure came with a removable singlet and a silver chain that was easily broken and lost. Loose complete figures rarely surface but when they do are incredibly expensive; one eBay seller is currently asking $750. Zhukov wrestled in the WWF while LJN and Hasbro made wrestling toys, but neither company ever made a figure of Nikolai Volkoff’s comrade.
(2) Larry Zbyszko. “The Living Legend” was a perennial world title contender in the AWA until finally capturing the belt in a battle royal during the company’s dying days. Before that, he was engaged in a feud with Bruno Sammartino in the WWWF that made him a star. In the 1990s, he was a member of the Dangerous Alliance in WCW before becoming one of the main voices of Nitro.
Zbyszko’s only toy was included in a two-pack with Ric Flair in the first series of AWA toys, complete with a red entrance jacket. The same figure was re-released in the third series, this time sporting a white jacket.
(1) Nick Bockwinkel. When wrestling fans think of the AWA, two names usually come to mind: Verne Gagne and Nick Bockwinkel. Remco never made a toy of the elder Gagne, but Bockwinkel’s only figure was included in a Series 3 “Greatest Grudges” two-pack with Larry Zbyszko. He came with a white entrance jacket and removable white kneepads.
A loose figure in very good condition with all accessories will usually sell for $35-50. Jakks made a lot of Hulk Hogan toys in its Classic WWE Superstars line; a two-pack with Bockwinkel would have captured the birth of Hulkamania.
- Other one and done AWA figures from Remco: Greg Gagne, Paul Ellering, Steve Regal, Precious, the Long Riders, Doug Somers, and Dick Woehrle.
Contact PWTorch Collectibles Specialist Michael Moore at email@example.com .
THE TORCH REACHES MORE COMBAT ENTERTAINMENT FANS THAN ANY OTHER SOURCE
PWTorch editor Wade Keller has covered pro wrestling full time since 1987 starting with the Pro Wrestling Torch print newsletter. PWTorch.com launched in 1999 and the PWTorch Apps launched in 2008.
He has conducted "Torch Talk" insider interviews with Hulk Hogan, The Rock, Steve Austin, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Eric Bischoff, Jesse Ventura, Lou Thesz, Jerry Lawler, Mick Foley, Jim Ross, Paul Heyman, Bruno Sammartino, Goldberg, more.
He has interviewed big-name players in person incluiding Vince McMahon (at WWE Headquarters), Dana White (in Las Vegas), Eric Bischoff (at the first Nitro at Mall of America), Brock Lesnar (after his first UFC win).
He hosted the weekly Pro Wrestling Focus radio show on KFAN in the early 1990s and hosted the Ultimate Insiders DVD series distributed in retail stories internationally in the mid-2000s including interviews filmed in Los Angeles with Vince Russo & Ed Ferrara and Matt & Jeff Hardy. He currently hosts the most listened to pro wrestling audio show in the world, (the PWTorch Livecast, top ranked in iTunes)
REACHING 1 MILLION+ UNIQUE USERS PER MONTH
500 MILLION CLICKS & LISTENS PER YEAR
MILLIONS OF PWTORCH NEWSLETTERS SOLD
PWTorch offers a VIP membership for $10 a month (or less with an annual sub). It includes nearly 25 years worth of archives from our coverage of pro wrestling dating back to PWTorch Newsletters from the late-'80s filled with insider secrets from every era that are available to VIPers in digital PDF format and Keller's radio show from the early 1990s.
Also, new exclusive top-shelf content every day including a new VIP-exclusive weekly 16 page digital magazine-style (PC and iPad compatible) PDF newsletter packed with exclusive articles and news.
The following features come with a VIP membership which tens of thousands of fans worldwide have enjoyed for many years...
-New Digital PWTorch Newsletter every week
-3 New Digital PDF Back Issues from 5, 10, 20 years ago
-Over 60 new VIP Audio Shows each week
-Ad-free access to all PWTorch.com free articles
-VIP Forum access with daily interaction with PWTorch staff and well-informed fellow wrestling fans
-Tons of archived audio and text articles
-Decades of Torch Talk insider interviews in transcript and audio formats with big name stars. **SIGN UP FOR VIP ACCESS HERE**