RADICAN'S TAKE RADICAN'S KING OF TRIOS 2014: NIGHT 3 REPORT 9/21 - annual Tag Gauntlet match, KOT & Rey De Volodores winners determined, epic pose with Submission Squad & Gentleman's Club
Nov 8, 2014 - 6:16:10 PM
PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO BOOKMARK US & VISIT US DAILY
By Sean Radican, Torch columnist
RADICAN’S CHIKARA KING OF TRIOS 2014: NIGHT 3 REPORT
SEPT. 21, 2014
The Flood came out for the opening match to heavy jeers from the crowd. Jacobs shoved the Snow Troll around once they got into the ring. The Golden Trios then came out to a big pop and went right after The Flood.
(1) The Golden Trio (Icarus & Dasher Hatfield & Mr. Touchdown) vs. The Flood (Jimmy Jacobs & Volgar & Eddie Kingston w/The Lithuanian Snow Troll) in a King of Trios 2014 Semi-Final match. Both teams brawled to the floor right away. Icarus tried to free the Snow Troll at one point, but Jacobs cut him off. The fans went nuts and chanted for The Golden Trio. The Flood got the upper hand once the action settled down and began working over Hatfield. Hatfield finally blocked a springboard ace crusher from Jacobs and hit a backdrop. Hatfield finally made the hot tag to Icarus, who ran wild. The fans cheered as Icarus continued to run wild. He then ended up alone in the ring with Kingston, but the action broke down once again. Icarus cut off Jacobs up top and hit a delayed vertical superplex and the fans applauded. Kingston broke up the pin and hit an implant DDT. He then nailed Hatfield with a Saito suplex and the fans booed. Kingston no-sold a slap from Icarus and nailed him with the machine gun chops in the corner. He then tossed Kingston to Icarus and hit the Blu-Ray in the corner. Hatfield & Icarus nailed Kingston with a 3D. Icarus went for the CHIKARA special, but Volgar broke it up. Hatfield & Touchdown then hit Volgar with a 3D. Touchdown held Jacobs back from making the save and Icarus tapped out Volgar with the CHIKARA special.
After the match, the fans wanted The Golden Trio to free Snow Troll. Icarus freed him and the fans popped huge. Snow Troll then hit Icarus with a low blow and The Flood jumped The Golden Trio from behind and the fans booed. Jacobs held Kingston back from taking the CHIKARA Grand Championship. Kingston hit a huge powerbomb on Touchdown and Jacobs put Snow Troll back on his chain. Jacobs told Kingston it wasn’t time to take the Grand Championship just yet. Icarus recovered and kneeled over Touchdown.
Winners: Icarus & Dasher Hatfield & Mr. Touchdown to advance to the 2014 King of Trios Finals.
Star rating: (***) – This was a good opening match. They had a good brawling segment to open the match and then things settled down with The Flood in control until things got chaotic again. The finish seemed to come out of nowhere, as I was expecting the match to keep going. The finish was a decisive victory for the faces, but The Flood got their heat back after the match to keep things rolling from a storyline perspective.
Bakabella is a true heel.
(2) 3Peck0 (Archibald Peck & Shane Matthews & Scott Parker) vs. Devastation Corporation (Blaster McMassive & Flex Rumblecrunch & Max Smashmaster w/Sydney Bakabella) in a 2014 King of Trios Semi-Final Round match. 3Peck0 came out with their faces painted, which was pretty funny. Parker was isolated during the early going. His partners tried to make the save from a 3 on 1 attack, but they got sent packing. Peck and Matthews dragged Smashmaster to the outside and put a beating on him, but McMassive and Rumblecrunch continued to put a beating on Parker. The announcers mentioned that 3Peck0 had dispatched two teams from The Flood and wondered if they could beat a third in Devastation Corporation, but it wasn’t looking good early with Parker continuing to take a beating. Parker finally cut off Rumblecrunch and Peck ran wild. Peck ended up getting cut off as he got hit with a tandem spinebuster from McMassive and Rumblecrunch. The action broke down and 3.0 began working over McMassive. Peck then joined in and they nailed him with a series of maneuvers capped by an elbow from Peck for a 2 count. Parker and Peck went for a pair of dives off the apron, but McMassive and Smashmaster caught them and slammed them into each other.
Matthews took out McMassive inside the ring and got a Boston crab, but Smashmaster ran into the ring and he had to let it go. Smashmaster hit a back breaker and Rumblecrunch dropped an elbow off the second rope, but he kicked out at the last second. 3Peck0 hit a tandem electric chair drop on Rumblecrunch, but the pin got broken up. The fans fired up and chanted for 3Peck0. 3Peck0 hit a triple team code breaker on McMassive, but he kicked out at the last second. Matthews got a Boston crab on McMassive. Rumblecrunch and Smashmaster ran into the ring, but Parker and Peck put them in a pair of Boston crabs. Bakabella dragged the ref out of the ring and 3Peck0 nearly got their hands on him, but Devastation Corporation made the save. They cleared the ring and hit the death blow on Parker for the win much to the dismay of the fans.
Winners: Max Smashmaster & Flex Rumblecrunch & Blaster McMassive.
Star rating: (**3/4) – This was a fun match with 3Peck0 seemingly on the verge of winning several times late only to have their pinfalls or submissions broken up. The triple Boston crab spot at the end of the match was a lot of fun, but Bakabella ended up costing 3Peck0 the match when he dragged the ref out of the ring.
Oliver Grimsly cut a promo backstage. He said Mark Andrews wouldn’t forget his name. He said just like everyone in CHIKARA, he would learn that he is his new nightmare.
(3) Sir Oliver Grimsly vs. Mark Andrews. Andrews worked over Grimsly’s arm during the early stages of the match. Andrews tied himself in a ball and offered Grimsly his hand. Grimsly grabbed it and Andrews turned it into a pinning combination for a 2 count. The crowd applauded as Andrews dominated the fast-paced action. Andrews went up top, but Grimsly tripped him to the mat and began working him over. Andrews went for a multi-rotation hurricanrana, but Grimsly turned it into a lung blower. The fans tried to rally behind Andrews and he sent Grimsly to the floor with a backdrop and then hit a big flip dive to the floor that fired up the fans. Andrews hit a standing sky twister for a near fall a short time later. Grimsly fired back and hit a back stabber for a 2 count and the fans fired up when he kicked out. The fans began chanting U.K. over and over with Grimsly back in control. Both men ended up going at it up top. Andrews tossed Grimsly to the mat and the fans fired up. Andrews connected with a gorgeous SSP for the win.
Winner: Mark Andrews
Star rating: (**3/4) – This was short, but it was good while it lasted. They delivered a quality back and forth contest and the fans were into Andrews the entire match leading up to his victory.
Bakabella said the only team that mattered in the Tag Team Gauntlet was Jaka and Oleg. He said the match was as good as one for Devastation Corporation and The Flood. Jaka screamed in the background to end the promo.
(4) Tag Team Gauntlet Match
(a) Los Ice Creams (El Hijo del Ice Cream & Ice Cream Jr.) vs. Old Fashioned (Marion Fontaine & Jervis Cottonbelly). It was all comedy early as an arm drag attempt from Cottonbelly on Jr. turned into a chicken dance with the audience humming the song. Fontaine held the ropes open for Jr. and he got into the ring and punched Cottonbelly right in the fans, which drew some boos from the fans. Hijo took a sock out of his tights and poured sprinkles into the ring and the fans gasped. Fontaine got a broom and swept the sprinkles out of the ring, which got a big pop from the crowd. They got more sprinkles and poured them on the mat. Jr. set up Fontaine for a piledriver on the sprinkles, but Cottonbelly came in and used a dust pan to sweep them up. Los Ice Creams sold confusion in the ring and didn’t know what had happened to their sprinkles. They put more sprinkles on the mat and Cottonbelly went to the back and came back out with a vacuum to clean up the sprinkles. Hijo ended up rolling up Fontaine from behind as he tried to finish cleaning the sprinkles to eliminate Old Fashioned. That was an awesome start to the gauntlet.
(b) N-R-G (Hype Rockwell & Race Jackson) vs. Los Ice Creams (El Hijo del Ice Cream & Ice Cream Jr.). N-R-G ran wild once they got into the ring. The announcers noted this is their main show debut. Rockwell and Jackson look very green putting together spots. Rockwell hit a spinning black hold slam variation on Hijo to eliminate Los Ice Creams. The announcers mentioned they didn’t know how many teams were actually in the Gauntlet match.
(c) Colony XTreme Force (Missile Assault Ant & Artic Rescue Ant) vs. N-R-G (Hype Rockwell & Race Jackson). Assault Ant hit a series of rolling suplexes on Jackson and the third one with a bridge was good for the pin.
(d) Colony XTreme Force (Missile Assault Ant & Artic Rescue Ant) vs. The Batiri (Kodama & Obariyon). The fans fired up as The Batiri ran down to the ring and wiped out Artic Ant. The announcers mentioned The Batiri wanted to get their hands on any member of The Flood. Kodama set up for a dive, but Artic nailed him with a kick. Missile Assault Ant set up on top, but Obariyon caught him with a huge DDT as he came off the top for the win.
(e) The Batiri (Kodama & Obariyon) vs. The Osirian Portal (Amasis & Ophidian). The announcers mentioned if a team gets three points in this Gauntlet match, they will get a tag title shot. Obariyon ate a combination of moves from The Portal, but he managed to kick out. The Batiri isolated Ophidian and began working him over. Amasis finally entered the ring when Ophidian managed to roll to the floor and he ran wild on The Batiri. The action broke down and Kodama and Ophidian hit a series of maneuvers on Ophidian, but he managed to kick out at the last second. The Batiri hit a surfboard into a double knee drop off the top on Amasis, but he kicked out at the last second. Both teams went back and forth until Ophidian finally stood tall after a big sequence. Ophidian and Amasis went up top for the Osirian Sacrament on Obariyon and landed it for the win.
(f) The Osirian Portal (Amasis & Ophidian) vs. The Bloc Party (The Proletariat Boar of Moldova & Prakash Sabar). The Bloc Party got the upper hand after The Portal tried to jump them. They isolated Amasis and began working him over and the fans booed. The fans chanted “Boaring” at The Boar. Sabar started hitting his X-Pac style offense on Amasis. Amasis finally fired back and hit a shoulder tackle off the ropes on Sabar and the fans fired up. Ophidian got the hot tag and ran wild on The Boar. Ophidian got the Ophidian death grip on Sabar, but The Boar yanked him off and hit a side slam. Ophidian hit a pair of knee strikes on The Boar and went up top, but Sabar made the save. Sabar set up for the bronco buster and the fans booed. Ophidian got out of the way and nailed him with a running knee strike, but The Boar cut him off going for a headstand into a knee buster. He hit him with a DVD into a slam, but Ophidian kicked out at the last second. The Boar went for a gore, but Ophidian avoided it and he nailed Sabar. Ophidian sent The Boar to the outside and got the Ophidian death clutch on Sabar for the win.
(g) The Osirian Portal (Amasis & Ophidian) vs. The Colony (Silver Ant & Worker Ant). Amasis looked to be in bad shape on the apron. Worker Ant favored his knee during the early going. Ophidian hit a nice kick on Silver Ant, but Amasis still hadn’t recovered for the tag and Silver Ant wiped him out. Silver Ant worked an arm submission on the mat on Ophidian. They traded pinning combinations, but Silver Ant maintained the advantage on the mat. The fans tried to rally behind Ophidian, who had taken a sustained beating for a long period of time. Amasis mounted a comeback and began working over both members of The Colony. He hit a double knee strike off the top on Worker Ant, but Silver Ant picked him up. Ophidian slid out of suplex attempt and grabbed the Ophidian death grip. Silver Ant freed himself, but Ophidian got a back slide with a bridge for the win. Wow! Amasis didn’t get into the ring once during that fall.
(h) The Osirian Portal (Amasis & Ophidian) vs. The Dunne Brothers (Pete Dunne & Damian Dunne). The announcers mentioned The Portal had picked up 3 points with their previous win. Pete & Damian hit a tandem German on Ophidian, but he managed to kick out. Amasis hit a dive off the top on Pete, but Damian nailed him with a big spear. Damian hung Amasis upside down in the corner and came down with a double knee strike, but Ophidian broke up the pin. Pete spiked Ophidian with a big DDT on the apron. Damian hit a back stabber out of the corner and held onto Amasis. Pete then came off the top with a double stomp, but Amasis kicked out at the last second. The fans fired up and chanted for Amasis. Pete went up top for a moonsault, but Amasis got out of the way. He nailed Damian with a spinning kick and went up top, but Damian cut him off. Amasis sent Dunne to the mat and nailed him with a 450 for the win.
(i) The Osirian Portal (Amasis & Ophidian) vs. The Wrecking Crew (Jaka & Oleg The Usurper w/Sydney Bakabella). The Wrecking Crew is the last team entered into this gauntlet. The fans booed as The Wrecking Crew made their ring to the ring from the side entrance. The Wrecking Hand got the upper hand during the early going. Jaka hit a big Samoan drop on Amasis. Jaka hit a sit-out choke bomb on Amasis that sent him into Ophidian, but he kicked out at one. Both teams went back and forth in the ring. The Osirian Portal hit a pair of kicks that sent The Wrecking Crew to the floor. They set up for a dive, but collapsed in exhaustion. The announcers mentioned they had wrestled four teams before this match. The Portal got a near fall with a double roll up. The fans wanted the ref fired after the double near fall. Jaka accidentally ran into Oleg, who crashed into the ref. Ophidian hit a double knee strike on Oleg, but the ref was down. The Portal went for the Osirian sacrament on Oleg and landed it, but there was still no ref. The fans counted as another ref ran down to the ring to make the count, but Oleg kicked out at the last second. Bakabella got up on the apron with the refs distracted and nailed Ophidian with a roll of quarters. Oleg then rolled on top of Ophidian for the win and the fans booed.
Amasis went after Bakabella after the match, but he managed to escape.
Winners: Oleg the Usurper & Jaka
Star rating: (***) – This Tag Team Gauntlet dragged at times, but it was fun to watch overall. The comedy at the beginning between Old Fashioned and Los Ice Creams was a lot of fun. They told a nice story with the Osirian Portal overcoming the odds and beating four teams before Bakabella screwed them out of the win in the end.
The Submission Squad were set to take on a team of mystery opponents next. The Gentleman’s Club was shown cutting a promo backstage. Taylor cut a silly promo with Orange Cassidy, Drew Gulak, and The Swamp Monster surrounding him. They did several takes, but couldn’t get the promo right.
The Gentleman’s Club came out to a big pop. Taylor came out first. Orange Cassidy came out next to a huge pop. Drew Gulak then came out to an even bigger pop. The fans went nuts when The Swamp Monster finally came out last. The fans chanted “Holy poop.”
(5) The Submission Squad (Davey Vega & Evan Gelistico & Gary The Barn Owl & Pierre Abernathy) vs. The Gentleman’s Club (Chuck Taylor & Drew Gulak & Orange Cassidy & The Swamp Monster). Taylor sent Abernathy to the floor and did a flip off the top rope back into the ring, which got a big pop. The announcers sold shock that the Gentleman’s Club had made an appearance. Orange Cassidy tagged into the match and was wearing sunglasses. The ref took away his sunglasses and he went at it with Gelistico. Cassidy lazily evaded Gelistico and rolled him up for a 2 count. Gelistico hit an air plane spin on Cassidy and both men stumbled around before running head-first into each other and they were both down on the mat. Gulak tagged in and went at it with Vega. Gary and Swamp Monster seemed to have formed some sort of bond in a vacant corner of the ring. Gulak and Vega didn’t a rolling pin spot. Vega finally got a near fall on Gulak. The announcers said Gary was nesting on Swamp Monster in the corner. They went to a four way nerve hold spot. Gelistico got a bear hug to end the submission chain. Everyone then stopped and noticed that Gary and Swamp Monster were in the corner. Gary hit a big dive off Swamp Monster and the fans roared. Taylor put a grenade down Vega’s pants. He stopped time and everyone was frozen in place, but Taylor ended up hitting an atomic drop and the grenade exploded and everyone flew to the outside. That was hilarious. Taylor dropped an elbow on the live mic and the fans gasped.
Gulak wins the day doing the Zandig pose in this epic group photo.
Taylor continued to work over Vega in the corner. Cassidy tagged in and collapsed into a headbutt on Vega for a 2 count. Vega ducked an elbow from Gulak, but Taylor knocked everyone off the apron. Gulak tagged in Cassidy, but he slumped into the corner. Taylor went for a senton off the top, but Vega got out of the way. Swamp Monster and Gary tagged in, but they ended up wiping out their own partners. They went for a double clothesline on the ref, but he ducked it and connected for one of his own. The ref covered Gary and then The Swamp Monster for a pair of near falls. The action continued at a rapid pace with the ref getting involved on hitting a series of maneuvers in the corner on The Swamp Monster and Gary. The Submission Squad went for a triple team in the corner on The Swamp Monster, but did a cartwheel instead. Everyone got together and posed. I spotted Gulak doing the Zandig pose, which just about floored me. The ref and Loudspeaker then joined in on the pose and the fans went crazy and chanted “CHIKARA, CHIKARA.” Both teams went back at it and the fans went nuts as Cassidy went up top and he fell asleep and hit a headbutt, but the pin got broken up by Abernathy. Everyone hit big old school WWE moves capped by a Ultimate Warrior splash from Vega on Swamp Monster for the win.
Winners: Pierre Abernathy & Evan Gelistico & Gary The Barn Owl & Davey Vega
Star rating: (***1/2) – This was an amazing CHIKARA-style comedy match. Words can do no justice to how funny the action was, but the built up to the group picture near the end of the match was tremendous. Drew Gulak’s Zandig pose won the day.
Shynron cut a promo backstage. He said tonight was special. He put over The Great Sanada. Shynron then talked about how tough the last year of his career had been really hard. He said tonight he was going to bring it back to the table and be crowned the new king of flying.
The Great Sanada came out first to boos. Some fans began chanting his name. Shynron was out next to a good ovation. Both men posed with the Rey De Voladores plaque before the match began.
(6) Shynron vs. The Great Sanada – Rey De Voladores Finals. Both men had a fast-paced exchange and came to a stalemate. Shynron faked out Sanada on a dive and eventually connected with a tumbleweed kick flip off the apron and the fans fired up. Sanada fired back and went after Shynron’s mask and the fans booed. He then hit a German over the ropes to the floor on Shynron and the fans gasped. Sanada bit away at Shynron’s head in the corner and the fans booed after they returned to the ring. Sanada tried to choke Shynron with his wrist tape, but the ref caught him and took it away from him. Shynron mounted a comeback and hit a handspring ace crusher. He hit a 450 off the second turnbuckle a short time later for a 2 count. Shynron had more wrist tape and he used it to choke Shynron. He ditched the tape and covered Shynron for a 2 count. Sanada hit three German’s and held a bridge on the final one for a 2 count. Shynron fired back and tied up Sanada in a stretch using his legs, but he managed to free himself.
Sanada tried to toss Shynron to the floor, but he held onto the ropes and spun around into a kick to the head. Shynron then hit a crazy springboard sky twister to the floor to wipe out Sanada. Sanada dragged in front of him and Shynron had to stop short. He eventually caught Sanada with a kick to the head for a two count. Sanada nearly ran into the ref. He turned around and spit mist into Shynron’s face, but he kicked out at the last second. Shynron fired back with a 360 neck breaker for a near fall. That was insane. Shynron hit a second rope 630 a short time later for the win.
Shynron got a big ovation after the match and the fans chanted “You deserve it” as he posed with
Winner: Shynron to win the Rey De Voladores.
Star rating: (**3/4) – The ref’s involvement throughout the match was really distracting, but there were some good sequences during the match. Shynron is a lot of fun to watch in the ring, but the match would have been better with less shenanigans involving the ref.
The fans were shown pounding the mat as Gavin Loudspeaker announced it was time for the main event. The Devastation Corporation came out from the side entrance to a chorus of jeers from the fans. The Golden Trio came out to a big pop from the fans. Both teams went face-to-face once The Golden Trio got into the ring. The Fans chanted for The Golden Trio, but a small group of fans countered with chants for the Devastation Corporation. The Golden Trio led the fans in a group cheer at ringside for CHIKARA at ringside.
(7) The Golden Trio (Icarus & Dasher Hatfield & Mr. Touchdown) vs. The Devastation Corporation (Max Smashmaster & Flex Rumblecrunch & Blaster McMassive w/Sydney Bakabella) in the 2014 King of Trios Finals. The Golden Trio dominated the action during the early going. Icarus got a near fall on McMassive with a crucifix pin as The Golden Trio continued to hold the upper hand. Smashmaster ran in without making a tag and wiped out Touchdown. The ref allowed him into the ring even though he hadn’t legally tagged in. McMassive finally rolled out of the ring to make Smashmaster the legal man. The Devastation Corporation began tagging in and out to work over Touchdown. The Devastation Corporation tossed Touchdown to the outside and Icarus tried to enter the ring, but the ref held him back and McMassive tossed Touchdown back into the ring. Touchdown finally made the hot tag and Hatfield and Icarus ran wild with bionic elbows on McMassive and Rumblecrunch. The Golden Trio hit a triple team double stomp off the top into a DVD on Hatfield’s knees on McMassive for a 2 count. Icarus went for sliced bread on Smashmaster, but he turned it into a tombstone. Smashmaster went for a senton off the top, but Icarus got out of the way and hit sliced bread for a 2 count. Hatfield and Rumblecrunch went at it up top, but Touchdown cut him off. Touchdown then helped Hatfield lift Rumblecrunch onto his shoulders and he hit a powerslam off the top for a 2 count.
The fans chanted for both teams as Touchdown and McMassive went at it. Devastation Corporation isolated Touchdown and went for a series of moves in the corner, but Touchdown avoided them. He ended up walking into a huge sit out choke slam from McMassive, but the action broke down and Smashmaster ended a big sequence with a powerbomb on Hatfield and the fans booed. Smashmaster went up top again, but Touchdown cut him off. They exchanged big blows and Touchdown went for a superplex and eventually landed it for a 2 count. The fans fired up with everyone down on the mat and the outside. Hatfield and Touchdown caught McMassive with a 3D. Icarus then applied the CHIKARA special on McMassive, but Bakabella grabbed the ref’s leg. The ref kicked Bakabella off as Icarus wrenched back on the hold on McMassive. Rumblecrunch finally broke it up and shoved him right into a spinning slam from McMassive. The Devastation Corporation then hit the death blow on Icarus, but he kicked out at the very last second and the fans gasped and then went crazy. The fans chanted for Icarus as the ref and Smashmaster sold shock. The fans chanted “You can’t beat him” at Smashmaster. Rumblecrunch nailed Icarus with a huge clothesline when he got up, but Hatfield broke up the pin. Hatfield tried to fight off all three members of Devastation Corporation. Touchdown ran into the ring and they eventually hit a 3D on McMassive, but the pin got broken up. The action continued at a breakneck pace and Devastation Corporation finally hit the death blow on Hatfield for the win. This was a heck of a battle.
Quackenbush came out to the entrance with the 2014 King of Trios medals and looked disgusted as Bakabella grabbed them from him. Bakabella put the medals on The Devastation Corporation. The other members of The Flood came down to the ring as Devastation Corporation posed with The Wrecking Crew.
Icarus tells Kingston when it is time they will fight for the Grand
Jimmy Jacobs tossed Icarus into the ring. Icarus clutched his title as the fans booed. The fans chanted for CHIKARA and several CHIKARA wrestlers ran down to the ring and brawled with The Flood on the outside. Kingston stood guard on the ramp as The Flood got the upper hand on the floor. The fans chanted for UltraMantis Black. He was tossed into the ring and Kingston nailed him with a backfist as the fans booed. Jacobs got on the mic and told Icarus that it was over. He said Icarus and his army had been defeated thanks to Eddie Kingston. Jacobs said he had promised Kingston the Grand Championship and he was going to deliver it right now. He told Icarus to give them the Grand Championship or if he refused he would take it from him and end CHIKARA. Kingston screamed for the belt as Icarus tried to get to his feet. Icarus looked emotional as he grabbed a mic. He handed Kingston the title and the fans booed. Icarus told Kingston the belt was worthless. He said there is no CHIHKARA Grand Championship without CHIKARA. Icarus said he gave everything for that belt. He asked Kingston if he was going to be worthy of the title or is he simply going to be the king of ashes. The fans chanted for Kingston and Jacobs asked him to leave. Kingston gave the belt back to Icarus and began beating up Jacobs. The babyfaces fired up on the outside and Kingston wiped out a pile of wrestlers as the fans went insane. Icarus ended up standing in the ring with Kingston as the fans chanted “Welcome back.” Icarus told Kingston they would fight for the title again. All of the babyfaces ended up getting in the ring and the fans chanted for CHIKARA to end the weekend on a super high note.
Winners: Max Smashmaster & Blaster McMassive & Flex Rumblecrunch
Star rating: (***3/4) – This was a heck of a back and forth war between both teams. The action got particularly good late and there was a great near fall with Icarus kicking out of the death blow. Although Devastation Corporation got the win, the post-match angle was well done, as Icarus finally made Kingston realize that without CHIKARA, the Grand Championship means nothing. The fans were super into the post-match angle and it ended the weekend on a high note with a future match between Icarus and Kingston for the Grand Championship set up for a later date.
Overall score: (8.0) – The story of the entire 2014 King of Trios Tournament was well-crafted and it came to a satisfying conclusion on night 3. The struggle between The Flood and CHIKARA went back and forth the entire weekend and although it looked bleak in the end, the weekend came to a satisfying conclusion for CHIKARA fans with Kingston finally turning face again.
The undercard was solid with The Flood-Golden Trio semi-final match setting the tone in the opener. The Golden Trios started the show on a high note beating The Flood in the opener and then Devastation Corporation beat 3Peck0 in a solid semi-final round match to set up the KOT finals.
The Tag Gauntlet has been a chore to get through in the past, but this year they did a good job of telling a nice story with The Osirian Portal gutting their way to four straight wins only to get screwed out of the win in the end by Bakabella. CHIKARA does a good job of pouring the heat on the heels and it made sense for The Wrecking Crew to get the win here.
The highlight of the undercard was The Submission Squad facing a mystery team in an Atomicos match. Their opponents turned out to be the Gentleman’s Club and the crowd really ate up the comedy in the match. The commentary was awesome as well with the announcers talking about Teddy Hart and Mr. Money. The crowd was really into seeing the Gentleman’s Club in CHIKARA and the match had some great comedy spots. I especially enjoyed the odd kinship between Gary The Barn Owl and The Swamp Monster. If any match called for a group photo, this would be the one. Drew Gulak had me rolling laughing doing the Zandig pose.
The finals between Devastation Corporation and The Golden Trios was a really good brawling match that showed up just enough in the middle to let the crowd catch their breath down the stretch. They built up to some really good near falls down the stretch and built to a hot finish with Devastation Corporation getting the win.
I thought the post-match angle was really well-done. It looked like the heels were going to stand tall after The Flood wiped out the CHIKARA roster on the outside. Jacobs told Icarus to give the Grand Championship to Kingston or he would destroy CHIKARA. Icarus finally talked some sense into Kingston telling him that without CHIKARA, the belt means nothing and he turned on Jacobs to send the crowd happy. They also did a good job of setting up a match between Icarus and Kingston down the line for the Grand Championship.
I enjoyed the 2014 edition of King of Trios. The crowd was passionate each and every show booing the heels and cheering the babyfaces. The three shows came to a satisfying climax on night 3 and these shows are well-worth investing in.
You can purchase CHIKARA’s “King of Trios 2014: Night 3” on VOD by clicking HERE or by visiting SMVOD.com. This show is also available on DVD, Blu-Ray, and MP4 at SmartMarkVideo.com. For more information on CHIKARA visit CHIKARAPro.com.
Please click HERE and click “like” to join the Radican’s Wrestling Community Facebook fan page.
THE TORCH REACHES MORE COMBAT ENTERTAINMENT FANS THAN ANY OTHER SOURCE
PWTorch editor Wade Keller has covered pro wrestling full time since 1987 starting with the Pro Wrestling Torch print newsletter. PWTorch.com launched in 1999 and the PWTorch Apps launched in 2008.
He has conducted "Torch Talk" insider interviews with Hulk Hogan, The Rock, Steve Austin, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Eric Bischoff, Jesse Ventura, Lou Thesz, Jerry Lawler, Mick Foley, Jim Ross, Paul Heyman, Bruno Sammartino, Goldberg, more.
He has interviewed big-name players in person incluiding Vince McMahon (at WWE Headquarters), Dana White (in Las Vegas), Eric Bischoff (at the first Nitro at Mall of America), Brock Lesnar (after his first UFC win).
He hosted the weekly Pro Wrestling Focus radio show on KFAN in the early 1990s and hosted the Ultimate Insiders DVD series distributed in retail stories internationally in the mid-2000s including interviews filmed in Los Angeles with Vince Russo & Ed Ferrara and Matt & Jeff Hardy. He currently hosts the most listened to pro wrestling audio show in the world, (the PWTorch Livecast, top ranked in iTunes)
REACHING 1 MILLION+ UNIQUE USERS PER MONTH
500 MILLION CLICKS & LISTENS PER YEAR
MILLIONS OF PWTORCH NEWSLETTERS SOLD
PWTorch offers a VIP membership for $10 a month (or less with an annual sub). It includes nearly 25 years worth of archives from our coverage of pro wrestling dating back to PWTorch Newsletters from the late-'80s filled with insider secrets from every era that are available to VIPers in digital PDF format and Keller's radio show from the early 1990s.
Also, new exclusive top-shelf content every day including a new VIP-exclusive weekly 16 page digital magazine-style (PC and iPad compatible) PDF newsletter packed with exclusive articles and news.
The following features come with a VIP membership which tens of thousands of fans worldwide have enjoyed for many years...
-New Digital PWTorch Newsletter every week
-3 New Digital PDF Back Issues from 5, 10, 20 years ago
-Over 60 new VIP Audio Shows each week
-Ad-free access to all PWTorch.com free articles
-VIP Forum access with daily interaction with PWTorch staff and well-informed fellow wrestling fans
-Tons of archived audio and text articles
-Decades of Torch Talk insider interviews in transcript and audio formats with big name stars. **SIGN UP FOR VIP ACCESS HERE**