SPOTLIGHTED PODCAST ALERT (YOUR ARTICLE BEGINS A FEW INCHES DOWN)...
During a recent interview with PWTorch.com, Topps WWE Brand Manager Colin Walton shared details on six more WWE trading card products planned for 2017.
- 2017 Topps WWE Undisputed is a hobby-exclusive product set for a June release. It is the third installment of the high-end Undisputed brand, which features on-card signatures, autographed relic cards and more. Each pack delivers one hit (autograph or relic card), with each 10-pack box running somewhere in the neighborhood of $200.
- 2017 Topps WWE Heritage will be released in August and features a 1987 Topps throwback design. Both hobby and retail boxes will be available.
- The Walmart exclusive 2017 Topps WWE Women’s Evolution is a rebranded follow-up to the popular 2016 Topps WWE Divas Revolution product. Scheduled for a September release, each $20 blaster box will include several base and insert cards along with one guaranteed hit, which could be a shirt relic, mat relic, autograph or kiss card.
- 2017 Topps WWE NXT will be exclusive to Topps.com and Target in September. It marks the first retail NXT product and will feature autographs and relics.
- 2017 Topps Legends of WWE is a new hobby-exclusive product and the first all-legends brand. It will be available in the fall and will include autographs and relics of past WWE stars.
- 2017 Topps WWE Then Now Forever will be released in November as basically a second series to 2017 Topps WWE, which was just released this week. With this product, Topps is touting the company’s “largest roster set ever.”
Moore’s take: With these six products, Topps will have a total of eight WWE releases in 2017. It probably seems like a lot to non-collectors or casual collectors, but there is definitely a hungry market out there for Topps WWE cards. The newly released 2017 Topps WWE, which just dropped earlier this week, is one of the hottest wrestling products in years due to the inclusion of the first Undertaker autographs since 2001, and the first Topps Undertaker autographs ever. Topps has done a good job of identifying different ways to market each product, such as targeting hardcore collectors with higher end, hobby-exclusive products like Undisputed and Legends, continuing the Walmart-exclusive Women’s/Divas’ brand, and keeping the majority of the hobby and retail releases at around $50.
NOW CHECK OUT THE PRIOR COLUMN: COLLECTIBLES COLUMN: The Best, Worst, and Weirdest Undertaker Action Figures
PWTorch Collectibles Specialist Michael Moore can be reached at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @MMooreWriter.