Arena Reports 1/10 PWG in Reseda, Calif.: Bryan Danielson, Austin Aries, Davey Richards & Roderick Strong, Paul London news
Jan 12, 2009 - 10:53:41 AM
PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO BOOKMARK US & VISIT US DAILY
PWG "Gentle Art of Making Enemies" show report
January 10, 2009
Report by Saul Stradlin, PWTorch readers
Pro Wrestling Guerrilla ran its first show of 2009 last night in Reseda. Crowd was about 350 people, with tons of people standing. The show started off with Excalibur welcoming the fans to the show, and mentioning Low Ki signing with WWE. He also mentioned that 2009 will see new faces in PWG, and that would begin with the debut of The Cutler Brothers.
(1) Los Luchas (Phoenix Star & Zokre) beat The Cutler Brothers (Brandon & Dustin). The Cutlers, making their PWG debut, are a local team who have wrestled for several promotions in the area and have trained with the Young Bucks. They looked impressive in their debuts after getting through some issues during the start of the match. Good match that got the crowd fired up.
(2) Austin Aries beat T.J. Perkins. Decent match that saw T.J. trying to work heel, but the crowd wasn't really engaged into this. The match centered on Austin Aries trying to hit his signature moves, but would end up failing. Perkins would either move out of the way or would counter his attempts. Finish saw Aries trying to lock in the Horns of Aries while T.J. kept fighting him off, but was unable to once Aries fully got it locked in for the submission victory.
(3) Joey Ryan beat Bobby Quance. Bobby Quance entered this match after being away from the ring for over four years after joining the military. This match was a fun comedy match, with both men trading various WWF/E finishers including Stone Cold Stunners, Rock Bottoms, Pedigrees, Million Dollar Dreams, and various other moves from the past. The crowd got really into the match at the end and gave Quance a nice ovation afterwards. Very classy moment from the fans in attendance.
(4) Bryan Danielson beat Scott Lost. Excellent match. This match went around the building, and the in ring work was done really well. Both guys really stepped up in this, and it made from an entertaining match that the fans were into. Danielson got the win after Scott Lost submitted to the Cattle Mutilation.
(5) El Generico beat Chuck Taylor. Another good match. There was a lot of crowd involvement, including a young fan chopping Chuck Taylor. The finish saw both guys on the outside of the ring trying to gain an advantage. Generico ended up getting the advantage, which resulted in him giving Taylor a brainbuster on the ring apron.
(6) PWG tag team champions the Young Bucks (Nick & Matt Jackson) beat Davey Richards & Roderick Strong to retain the PWG World Tag Team Championship. Another excellent match to close the show. The fans were really hot for this match, and the Young Bucks took a beating at the hands of Strong and Richards. The final part of the match saw a series of nearfalls and crazy moves, to which the fans really enjoyed. The Young Bucks got the win after an exchange of various pinning combinations between Nick Jackson and Davey Richards. Post-match saw Davey Richards going after referee Rick Knox, who dove over several fans to get away from Davey. The Young Bucks then cut a promo saying that their goal for 2009 was to become the greatest PWG World Tag Team Champions of all time and that they will go to Japan to defend the belts in Dragon Gate.
Notes: Paul London was in attendance again and looked like he was having a really good time. The crowd was also into the show for the most part. PWG had a very strong showing, and the show actually started on time. No return date announced.
Asst. editor's Note: London is close friends with part-PWG owner Joey Ryan, who has been featured on Smackdown taking squash match losses. London's most famous brush with PWG was attending PWG's All-Star Weekend Extravaganza in Los Angeles prior to WrestleMania 21 at the Staples Center in 2005.
THE TORCH REACHES MORE COMBAT ENTERTAINMENT FANS THAN ANY OTHER SOURCE
PWTorch editor Wade Keller has covered pro wrestling full time since 1987 starting with the Pro Wrestling Torch print newsletter. PWTorch.com launched in 1999 and the PWTorch Apps launched in 2008.
He has conducted "Torch Talk" insider interviews with Hulk Hogan, The Rock, Steve Austin, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Eric Bischoff, Jesse Ventura, Lou Thesz, Jerry Lawler, Mick Foley, Jim Ross, Paul Heyman, Bruno Sammartino, Goldberg, more.
He has interviewed big-name players in person incluiding Vince McMahon (at WWE Headquarters), Dana White (in Las Vegas), Eric Bischoff (at the first Nitro at Mall of America), Brock Lesnar (after his first UFC win).
He hosted the weekly Pro Wrestling Focus radio show on KFAN in the early 1990s and hosted the Ultimate Insiders DVD series distributed in retail stories internationally in the mid-2000s including interviews filmed in Los Angeles with Vince Russo & Ed Ferrara and Matt & Jeff Hardy. He currently hosts the most listened to pro wrestling audio show in the world, (the PWTorch Livecast, top ranked in iTunes)
REACHING 1 MILLION+ UNIQUE USERS PER MONTH
500 MILLION CLICKS & LISTENS PER YEAR
MILLIONS OF PWTORCH NEWSLETTERS SOLD
PWTorch offers a VIP membership for $10 a month (or less with an annual sub). It includes nearly 25 years worth of archives from our coverage of pro wrestling dating back to PWTorch Newsletters from the late-'80s filled with insider secrets from every era that are available to VIPers in digital PDF format and Keller's radio show from the early 1990s.
Also, new exclusive top-shelf content every day including a new VIP-exclusive weekly 16 page digital magazine-style (PC and iPad compatible) PDF newsletter packed with exclusive articles and news.
The following features come with a VIP membership which tens of thousands of fans worldwide have enjoyed for many years...
-New Digital PWTorch Newsletter every week
-3 New Digital PDF Back Issues from 5, 10, 20 years ago
-Over 60 new VIP Audio Shows each week
-Ad-free access to all PWTorch.com free articles
-VIP Forum access with daily interaction with PWTorch staff and well-informed fellow wrestling fans
-Tons of archived audio and text articles
-Decades of Torch Talk insider interviews in transcript and audio formats with big name stars. **SIGN UP FOR VIP ACCESS HERE**