Arena Reports 5/31 WWE in Bowling Green, Ky.: Edge vs. Hardy, Punk vs. Umaga, Bourne vs. Kidd, Ref Armstrong pulls out a dropkick
May 31, 2009 - 11:22:04 PM
PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO BOOKMARK US & VISIT US DAILY
WWE Smackdown/ECW brand house show report
May 31, 2009
Bowling Green, Ky.
Report by Brian Harwood, Torch reader
I arrived right at 5:00 p.m. and the arena was about half-full. The floor seats on ringside were full. About 6:30 p.m., the arena filled to about 75 percent full. I heard that fans were being let in free after intermission, but I don't know if that is true or not. I was telling friends of mine that our cable service (Insight Cable) couldn't get Smackdown on MyNetworkTV, but I learned tonight from wbgnbeatdown.com that Smackdown airs on tape delay at 12:30 a.m. Saturday mornings every week only hours after the actual Smackdown telecast. Had more people known that, I feel the crowd would have been even bigger.
Crowd was into every match and superstars the whole night and the wrestlers did a good job working the crowd for fans or boos.
(1) Great Khali beat Dolph Ziggler with the Khali bomb. Good pop for Khali, especially when he hit Ziggler after about three minutes into the match when Ziggler did a lot of stalling outside the ring.
(2) Drew McIntyre beat Jimmy Wang Yang when McIntryre hit Wang with a Jeff Jarrett Stroke type move. Before the match, McIntyre cut a promo about being Scottish and pretty girls and "living in the fast lane."
(3) Evan Bourne beat Tyson Kidd (w/Natalya and D.H. Smith). Smith attacked Bourne before the bell, which led to Tiffany ejecting Natalya and Smith from the arena. Bourne and Kidd had a good back and forth match, and Bourne won with a Shooting Star Press. After the match, Smith ran in and attacked Bourne again.
(4) John Morrison beat Chris Jericho with Starship Pain (back flip legs off the top rope). Jericho came out and just stared at the crowd for a while. Jericho then got on the mic and said the fans in Bowling Green were losers, liars, and hypocrites - to many boos - and they never accomplished anything. They weren't like Chris Jericho, 2008 Superstar of the Year, the best at his chosen profession, and they never would be like Jericho. There were many nearfalls in this match.
(5) Christian & Tommy Dreamer beat Jack Swagger & Mark Henry when Dreamer DDT'ed Henry and Christian headbutted Henry off the top rope. THere was a sign that said "Jack THagger THucks." (I guess the sign made fun of Swagger's "TH" sound.) Christian did a "yell" and "boo" routine with pointing to himself and Dreamer for cheers, and pointing to Henry and Swagger for boos. Tommy Dreamer tried to hit a "Tree of Woe" on Swagger during the match but missed contact with Swagger in the corner.
[Intermission: Biggest crowd pop came when two children came out and threw t-shirts into the crowd.]
(6) Gail Kim & Melina beat Natalya & Alicia Fox when Melinda plinned Alicia with her flip finisher. All four did an excellent job playing to the crowd.
(7) C.M. Punk beat Umaga with a roll-up. A sign in the crowd said "I had a beer with C.M. Punk." Umaga attacked Punk at the beginning when Punk tried to throw his shirt into the crowd. Crowd popped big for the Punk victory.
(8) World Hvt. champion Edge beat Jeff Hardy clean with a spear. Hardy had the biggest pop of any wrestler while Edge had the biggest heat after ring introductions (they were mixed before). There was a sign in the crowd that said "Jeff makes me Hardy." Before the match, Edge cut a promo and said he was going to do Jeff a favor. He knew that Jeff needed five stitches from what Edge did to Jeff's eye on Friday night. He knew that Jeff received a concussion from the top-rope Edgecution Jeff received from Edge at Judgment Day.
So Edge said, don't let these fans talk you into doing something you'll regret for the rest of your life. We don't have to have the match. Jeff said maybe Edge was right. Then he kicked him to begin the match. It was a great back and forth match with several near falls. When Hardy made his comeback Edge hit a spear out of nowhere for the win.
After the match, Edge tried to hit Hardy with the World Belt but missed, Hardy then hit Edge with the World Belt and left to celebrate with the crowd. Edge finally got up after a couple minutes and argued with match referee Scott Armstrong. Edge then hit Armstrong from behind. He tried to whip Armstrong into the ropes but Armstrong reversed it and dropkicked Edge to a huge pop. Edge then ran quickly to the back. One of the most surprising endings to a house show that made the crowd go home happy.
THE TORCH REACHES MORE COMBAT ENTERTAINMENT FANS THAN ANY OTHER SOURCE
PWTorch editor Wade Keller has covered pro wrestling full time since 1987 starting with the Pro Wrestling Torch print newsletter. PWTorch.com launched in 1999 and the PWTorch Apps launched in 2008.
He has conducted "Torch Talk" insider interviews with Hulk Hogan, The Rock, Steve Austin, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Eric Bischoff, Jesse Ventura, Lou Thesz, Jerry Lawler, Mick Foley, Jim Ross, Paul Heyman, Bruno Sammartino, Goldberg, more.
He has interviewed big-name players in person incluiding Vince McMahon (at WWE Headquarters), Dana White (in Las Vegas), Eric Bischoff (at the first Nitro at Mall of America), Brock Lesnar (after his first UFC win).
He hosted the weekly Pro Wrestling Focus radio show on KFAN in the early 1990s and hosted the Ultimate Insiders DVD series distributed in retail stories internationally in the mid-2000s including interviews filmed in Los Angeles with Vince Russo & Ed Ferrara and Matt & Jeff Hardy. He currently hosts the most listened to pro wrestling audio show in the world, (the PWTorch Livecast, top ranked in iTunes)
REACHING 1 MILLION+ UNIQUE USERS PER MONTH
500 MILLION CLICKS & LISTENS PER YEAR
MILLIONS OF PWTORCH NEWSLETTERS SOLD
PWTorch offers a VIP membership for $10 a month (or less with an annual sub). It includes nearly 25 years worth of archives from our coverage of pro wrestling dating back to PWTorch Newsletters from the late-'80s filled with insider secrets from every era that are available to VIPers in digital PDF format and Keller's radio show from the early 1990s.
Also, new exclusive top-shelf content every day including a new VIP-exclusive weekly 16 page digital magazine-style (PC and iPad compatible) PDF newsletter packed with exclusive articles and news.
The following features come with a VIP membership which tens of thousands of fans worldwide have enjoyed for many years...
-New Digital PWTorch Newsletter every week
-3 New Digital PDF Back Issues from 5, 10, 20 years ago
-Over 60 new VIP Audio Shows each week
-Ad-free access to all PWTorch.com free articles
-VIP Forum access with daily interaction with PWTorch staff and well-informed fellow wrestling fans
-Tons of archived audio and text articles
-Decades of Torch Talk insider interviews in transcript and audio formats with big name stars. **SIGN UP FOR VIP ACCESS HERE**