Arena Reports 5/7 DGUSA in Windsor/Detroit: DGUSA debuts in Canada with BxB Hulk & Pac vs. YAMATO & Shingo, CIMA vs. Jacobs
May 8, 2010 - 1:42:24 PM
PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO BOOKMARK US & VISIT US DAILY
Dragon Gate USA "Open the Northern Gate" results
May 7, 2010
Windsor, Ont., Canada
Report by D'Arcy Bresson, PWTorch reader
Dragon Gate USA made its Canadian debut in Windsor. The night opened with the crowd chanting, "Crack the gate!" The show was close enough to the Midwest that some guys drove from Chicago to see the show (approximately a four-hour drive). This was my first Dragon Gate show and I was blown away.
(1) Mike Quackenbush & Jigsaw beat Gran Akuma & Akira Tozawa in 16:00. There were a ton of highspots, including double corkscrew planchas. Akuma attempted the Yoshi Tonic, but Jigsaw held blocked Akuma and planted Akuma on his head for the finish. YAMATO and Shingo ran in after the match to beat down Quackenbush and Jigsaw. This match was amazing and an incredible start to the show. Runner-up for match of the night.
(2) FIP Hvt. champion Jon Moxley beat Phil Atlas via submission in 8:00 to retain the FIP Hvt. Title. Moxley gained some heat by grabbing his blond valet by the face and throwing her to the ground. Atlas was pretty popular with the Windsor crowd, with it being his hometown and all. There were plenty of stiff shots and outside interference led to Moxley locking in his version of the Tazmission for the win.
(3) CIMA beat Jimmy Jacobs in 15:00. The crowd started working on Jacobs with "Adam Lambert" chants. CIMA was way over with crowd. Good pace and an amazing finish with CIMA landing a stiff superkick, his Perfect Driver, and then he jumped to the top rope for his Meteora finisher (double knee to the face) for the win. Afterwards, CIMA tried to shake hands, but Jacobs kicked his hand away.
(4) Masaaki Mochizuki beat Naruki Doi in 13:00 in a bonus main event match. These two guys beat the tar out of one another. There were a ton of really stiff kicks to the head and chest, each one more brutal than the last. Pretty much 13 minutes of brutal strikes.
(5) Tyson Dux & Jon Bolen beat Brad Martin & Xtremo in 12:00 in a special feature Maximum Pro Wrestling tag match. Bolen picked a fight with an old lady in the front row - always a classic move. This was a good tag match with a couple of highspots. Dux pinned Martin for the win.
(6) Masato Yoshino (2-1) beat Dragon Kid via submission in 26:00 in a two-out-of-three falls match. I can't even describe the number of highspots, strikes, and nearfalls in this encounter. Yoshino took the first fall, then Dragon Kid the second. Tied 1-1, Yoshino won the match with his Rising Sun armbar submission. They both received a standing ovation. The match was another runner-up for match of the night.
(7) Dragon Gate champion YAMATO & Shingo beat DGUSA champion BxB Hulk & Pac. YAMATO and Shingo worked over Pac for most of the match. Great action inside and outside of the ring. This match had everything - strikes, highspots, nearfalls, and brawling. Hulk and Pac mounted a comeback, but YAMATO landed his Galleria Special for the pin. I was surprised by the outcome, as I didn't think the heels would get the win. This was easily the match of the night.
THE TORCH REACHES MORE COMBAT ENTERTAINMENT FANS THAN ANY OTHER SOURCE
PWTorch editor Wade Keller has covered pro wrestling full time since 1987 starting with the Pro Wrestling Torch print newsletter. PWTorch.com launched in 1999 and the PWTorch Apps launched in 2008.
He has conducted "Torch Talk" insider interviews with Hulk Hogan, The Rock, Steve Austin, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Eric Bischoff, Jesse Ventura, Lou Thesz, Jerry Lawler, Mick Foley, Jim Ross, Paul Heyman, Bruno Sammartino, Goldberg, more.
He has interviewed big-name players in person incluiding Vince McMahon (at WWE Headquarters), Dana White (in Las Vegas), Eric Bischoff (at the first Nitro at Mall of America), Brock Lesnar (after his first UFC win).
He hosted the weekly Pro Wrestling Focus radio show on KFAN in the early 1990s and hosted the Ultimate Insiders DVD series distributed in retail stories internationally in the mid-2000s including interviews filmed in Los Angeles with Vince Russo & Ed Ferrara and Matt & Jeff Hardy. He currently hosts the most listened to pro wrestling audio show in the world, (the PWTorch Livecast, top ranked in iTunes)
REACHING 1 MILLION+ UNIQUE USERS PER MONTH
500 MILLION CLICKS & LISTENS PER YEAR
MILLIONS OF PWTORCH NEWSLETTERS SOLD
PWTorch offers a VIP membership for $10 a month (or less with an annual sub). It includes nearly 25 years worth of archives from our coverage of pro wrestling dating back to PWTorch Newsletters from the late-'80s filled with insider secrets from every era that are available to VIPers in digital PDF format and Keller's radio show from the early 1990s.
Also, new exclusive top-shelf content every day including a new VIP-exclusive weekly 16 page digital magazine-style (PC and iPad compatible) PDF newsletter packed with exclusive articles and news.
The following features come with a VIP membership which tens of thousands of fans worldwide have enjoyed for many years...
-New Digital PWTorch Newsletter every week
-3 New Digital PDF Back Issues from 5, 10, 20 years ago
-Over 60 new VIP Audio Shows each week
-Ad-free access to all PWTorch.com free articles
-VIP Forum access with daily interaction with PWTorch staff and well-informed fellow wrestling fans
-Tons of archived audio and text articles
-Decades of Torch Talk insider interviews in transcript and audio formats with big name stars. **SIGN UP FOR VIP ACCESS HERE**