Arena Reports 7/29 CHIKARA results Everett, Mass.: Second detailed report on Bucks vs. Throwbacks main event, Jannetty misses show, Del Rey vs. Icarus (w/Photo Gallery)
Jul 29, 2012 - 10:09:32 PM
PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO BOOKMARK US & VISIT US DAILY
Chikara Pro "Give 'Em The Axe!" Results
July 29, 2012
Report by Zim, PWTorch VIP member
Ophidian was out back doing stretches with a few other wrestlers at about quarter of 4:00 p.m. prior to the show. Attendance well-over double Joshimania attendance at the same arena. Standing room only tonight with a rough estimate of 400-500. I was quite happy to see this turn-out for Chikara.
I got a Sara Del Rey autograph and asked her about WWE status. She said nothing is official yet and she has no idea what capacity she will be used. Not much info there.
(1) Ophidian beat Sugar Dunkerton via submission. Ophidian has a new mask and he used a really cool bridging Cobra Clutch while sugar was sitting to get the submission TKO. After the match, Delirious came out and put his arm around ophidian as they walked to the back.
(2) Spectral Envoy (Ultramantis Black & Frightmare & Hallowicked) beat DeviANT & Soldier Ant & CombatANT. Soldier played his usual babyface self as the reluctant partner of the newest ants in Chikara. Siick triple stop move and crucifix driver from Frightmare for the win.
(3) The Mysterious Stranger beat The Shard. Strong won with a leg drop. At one point in the match, Stranger went backstage and brought out a toy bouncy horse and proceeded with a truly great Chikara moment (see pictures at the end).
(4) 3.0 & Gran Akuma beat The Batiri & Kobald via DQ. Akuma came out with 3.0 and received a good pop, to which he responded, "This is weird," with a pleasant smile. Akuma has played a heel throughout his Chikara career. Cool moment. 3.0 & Akuma won by DQ when Delirious and Ophidian attacked Team 3.0. Afterwards, Delirious kissed the four heel men on the forehead and led them to the back.
Next was Sara Del Rey vs. Icarus. Del Rey got a massive reaction and her outfit gets smaller every time I see her live. Not in a bad way, but in a way that shows off her ever-improving ring shape. She has gotten in even better shape than she was in when I saw her at Joshimania.
(5) Icarus beat Sara Del Rey. Icarus won with a handful of tights. A big "Yes! Lock" almost won it for Death Ray and got the crowd to erupt into massive "Yes!" chants. Afterwards, Sara kicked Icarus and hit the Royal Butterfly, which was pretty impressive. After Icarus went to the back, Sara got the huge standing O. Easily the ovation of the night, followed by an extremely loud and heartfelt "Thank you, Sara" chant. Truly great moment to experience.
[Intermission. I got my shirt autographed by the Young Bucks, Ultra Mantis, Hallowicked, and Sugar Dunkerton. Eddie Kingston was in the ring doing free pictures with the Chikara Grand Championship. Very down to earth guys throughout the Chikara locker room, with the exception of the Bucks, who enjoyed saying, "We wouldn't shake Booker T's hand, why would we shake yours?" On an aside, I would really love to see Ultramantis Black get a shot on Gut Check, as he is incredibly unique and talented.]
(6) Jacob Hammermeier beat Jigsaw. Jacob won after his "Guten Nächt" neckbreaker. Good match and Jakob's grandparents appeared to be in attendance for tonight's show.
Marty Jannetty no-showed, so a chunky guy in a TMNT costume came out to team with Green Ant in the next match. Yep, Steve the Turtle. Los Ice Creams found a kid in an El Hijo del Ice Cream mask and a kid in an Ice Cream, Jr. mask, put them on the ring apron, and the crowd exploded. One of them got in the ring and the crowd let out the biggest pop of the night. Another classic Chikara moment.
(7) Los Ice Cream beat Green Ant & Steve the Ninja Turtle. The ice creams brought a bag to ringside resembling Mick Foley's bag of tacks, only to reveal they were sprinkles. Of course, being Chikara, they sold the sprinkles like they were tacks. The finish came when an ice cream threw sprinkles in Turtle's eyes and they hit a double-team finisher onto the sprinkles. Los ice creams are HILARIOUS Chikara-style heels.
(8) ACH beat J.T. Dunn, Aaron Epic, and Vinny Marseglia in a Young Lions Qualifying elimination match. Keep an eye out for the names ACH and J.T. Dunn, as they both have future star potential and both had 100 percent fan support.
(9) Young Bucks beat The Throwbacks (Dasher Hatfield & Mr. Touchdown) in a 2-out-of-3 falls match to retain the Campeones de Parejas. The first fall went to the Bucks when they hit Mr. Touchdown with his valet's baton. The second fall came when Dasher Hatfield pinned a Buck after a combination wheelbarrow/stunner. The deciding fall followed "More Bang for your Buck." It was a great back-and-forth match-up that saw the Bucks's incredible spotfests mesh perfectly with the comedic yet athletic stylings of the throwbacks.
On the way out the door, there was a "greeting line," if you will, which consisted of probably 75 percent of the wrestlers from the evening thanking every fan who wanted to stop and chat. I had previously been very disappointed not to see Jigsaw at the gimmick stand during the pre-show or intermission to get the mask I brought signed. However, as soon as I walked out the door, he recognized me from his match and thanked me for the support and offered to sign my mask. I asked if there had been any follow-up with TNA and he said no word from them yet, but he hopes for that phone call every day and said to keep an eye out. I hope so, I'm a huge fan of his work.
Overall, an awesomely fun show that saw all wrestlers involved having a great time and working their tails to entertain in a way only Chikara can. I cannot recommend attending a Chikara show live enough, as I firmly believe that for the price of the $20 tickets, you get more entertainment value, fun, laughs, and wow moments than any other company I've seen live, be it ROH, TNA, or WWE.
Photo URL: http://sfy.co/m0of
[Torch art credit Marco D'Alfonso (c) PWTorch.com]
THE TORCH REACHES MORE COMBAT ENTERTAINMENT FANS THAN ANY OTHER SOURCE
PWTorch editor Wade Keller has covered pro wrestling full time since 1987 starting with the Pro Wrestling Torch print newsletter. PWTorch.com launched in 1999 and the PWTorch Apps launched in 2008.
He has conducted "Torch Talk" insider interviews with Hulk Hogan, The Rock, Steve Austin, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Eric Bischoff, Jesse Ventura, Lou Thesz, Jerry Lawler, Mick Foley, Jim Ross, Paul Heyman, Bruno Sammartino, Goldberg, more.
He has interviewed big-name players in person incluiding Vince McMahon (at WWE Headquarters), Dana White (in Las Vegas), Eric Bischoff (at the first Nitro at Mall of America), Brock Lesnar (after his first UFC win).
He hosted the weekly Pro Wrestling Focus radio show on KFAN in the early 1990s and hosted the Ultimate Insiders DVD series distributed in retail stories internationally in the mid-2000s including interviews filmed in Los Angeles with Vince Russo & Ed Ferrara and Matt & Jeff Hardy. He currently hosts the most listened to pro wrestling audio show in the world, (the PWTorch Livecast, top ranked in iTunes)
REACHING 1 MILLION+ UNIQUE USERS PER MONTH
500 MILLION CLICKS & LISTENS PER YEAR
MILLIONS OF PWTORCH NEWSLETTERS SOLD
PWTorch offers a VIP membership for $10 a month (or less with an annual sub). It includes nearly 25 years worth of archives from our coverage of pro wrestling dating back to PWTorch Newsletters from the late-'80s filled with insider secrets from every era that are available to VIPers in digital PDF format and Keller's radio show from the early 1990s.
Also, new exclusive top-shelf content every day including a new VIP-exclusive weekly 16 page digital magazine-style (PC and iPad compatible) PDF newsletter packed with exclusive articles and news.
The following features come with a VIP membership which tens of thousands of fans worldwide have enjoyed for many years...
-New Digital PWTorch Newsletter every week
-3 New Digital PDF Back Issues from 5, 10, 20 years ago
-Over 60 new VIP Audio Shows each week
-Ad-free access to all PWTorch.com free articles
-VIP Forum access with daily interaction with PWTorch staff and well-informed fellow wrestling fans
-Tons of archived audio and text articles
-Decades of Torch Talk insider interviews in transcript and audio formats with big name stars. **SIGN UP FOR VIP ACCESS HERE**