Arena Reports 5/9 PWG in SoCal: DDT4 tag tournament - GenMe (Young Bucks) vs. Paul London & El Generico finals
May 9, 2010 - 11:31:43 PM
PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO BOOKMARK US & VISIT US DAILY
Pro Wrestling Guerrilla DDT4 tag tournament results
May 9, 2010
Report by Luke Fleeman Martinez & Matt Massingham, PWTorch West Coast correspondents
Pro Wrestling Guerrilla's annual tag team tournament, DDT4, was held tonight bringing together the best independent and international talent. The Young Bucks (Generation Me in TNA) were the PWG tag champions coming into the tournament and would have to endure the full tournament to retain the titles.
(1) PWG tag champions The Young Bucks (Nick & Matt Jackson) beat LTP & Johnny Goodtime to retain the PWG tag titles. This was a short match, but very intense and very good. The Bucks won with dual superkicks.
(2) Paul London & El Generico beat Scott Lost & Chuck Taylor. This match had a lot of great comedy spots. London hit a Shooting Star Press on Taylor after a miscommunication with Lost.
(3) The Cutler Brothers beat Roderick Strong & Ryan Taylor with a combination Tombstone. The crowd got hot, and then lost some steam, because it was so hot in the building, but the match picked up at the end.
(4) The Briscoes beat Akira Tozawa & YAMATO with the Doomsday Device. This match started with a stiff mat-wrestling exhibition between Mark Briscoe and YAMATO. It looked like they were overcoming the language barrier with tight holds. The match was very good, and Tozawa was very popular with the local crowd.
(5) PWG tag champions The Young Bucks (Nick & Matt Jackson) beat the Cutler Brothers to retain the PWG tag titles with the More Bang For Your Buck tag team combo. This match absolutely tore the house down, and the crowd was insanely hot for it.
(6) El Generico & Paul London beat the Briscoes. This was a good match, but kind of brief. Generico won with a surprise roll up countering the Doomsday Device.
(7) Chris Hero beat Brandon Bonham with a rolling elbow and Hero's Welcome. They transitioned from mat wrestling to an absolute slugfest, which was brutal. Hero put over Bonham on the mic afterwards.
(8) El Generico & Paul London beat PWG tag champions The Young Bucks (Nick & Matt Jackson) to win the DDT4 tournament and the PWG tag titles. GenMe tried to lose by countout, but the ref refused, saying they would have a clear winner. He had to even get physical with them at one point. The crowd ate up the win, and the winners celebrated in the ring as the crowd went crazy.
This was another strong outing from PWG, which also sells DVDs of all these shows. This show was a great example of how successful tag team wrestling can be if presented right.
THE TORCH REACHES MORE COMBAT ENTERTAINMENT FANS THAN ANY OTHER SOURCE
PWTorch editor Wade Keller has covered pro wrestling full time since 1987 starting with the Pro Wrestling Torch print newsletter. PWTorch.com launched in 1999 and the PWTorch Apps launched in 2008.
He has conducted "Torch Talk" insider interviews with Hulk Hogan, The Rock, Steve Austin, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Eric Bischoff, Jesse Ventura, Lou Thesz, Jerry Lawler, Mick Foley, Jim Ross, Paul Heyman, Bruno Sammartino, Goldberg, more.
He has interviewed big-name players in person incluiding Vince McMahon (at WWE Headquarters), Dana White (in Las Vegas), Eric Bischoff (at the first Nitro at Mall of America), Brock Lesnar (after his first UFC win).
He hosted the weekly Pro Wrestling Focus radio show on KFAN in the early 1990s and hosted the Ultimate Insiders DVD series distributed in retail stories internationally in the mid-2000s including interviews filmed in Los Angeles with Vince Russo & Ed Ferrara and Matt & Jeff Hardy. He currently hosts the most listened to pro wrestling audio show in the world, (the PWTorch Livecast, top ranked in iTunes)
REACHING 1 MILLION+ UNIQUE USERS PER MONTH
500 MILLION CLICKS & LISTENS PER YEAR
MILLIONS OF PWTORCH NEWSLETTERS SOLD
PWTorch offers a VIP membership for $10 a month (or less with an annual sub). It includes nearly 25 years worth of archives from our coverage of pro wrestling dating back to PWTorch Newsletters from the late-'80s filled with insider secrets from every era that are available to VIPers in digital PDF format and Keller's radio show from the early 1990s.
Also, new exclusive top-shelf content every day including a new VIP-exclusive weekly 16 page digital magazine-style (PC and iPad compatible) PDF newsletter packed with exclusive articles and news.
The following features come with a VIP membership which tens of thousands of fans worldwide have enjoyed for many years...
-New Digital PWTorch Newsletter every week
-3 New Digital PDF Back Issues from 5, 10, 20 years ago
-Over 60 new VIP Audio Shows each week
-Ad-free access to all PWTorch.com free articles
-VIP Forum access with daily interaction with PWTorch staff and well-informed fellow wrestling fans
-Tons of archived audio and text articles
-Decades of Torch Talk insider interviews in transcript and audio formats with big name stars. **SIGN UP FOR VIP ACCESS HERE**