Arena Reports 11/12 ROH results in Dearborn, Mich.: Survival of the Fittest - Claudio dominates, El Generico everywhere, Zack Gowen appears, TV champion survives
Nov 13, 2010 - 12:32:17 AM
PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO BOOKMARK US & VISIT US DAILY
Ring of Honor "Survival of the Fittest" show report
November 12, 2010
Report by Wayne Raylean, PWTorch reader
(1) Rhett Titus beat Colt Cabana in SOTF qualifying match #1. Colt came out to a huge pop from the crowd, as he usually does. It was a pretty funny match because there was a Hogan look-alike in the crowd and Cabana played to him and taunted him like Hogan. Rhett ended up coming out on top using the ring bell as a weapon in the corner.
(2) ROH tag champion Claudio Castagnoli beat Grizzly Redwood in SOTF qualifying match #2. Giant UFO, Claudio won. Need I say more?
(3) Kevin Steen beat Kyle O'Reilly in SOTF qualifying match #3. Steen came out to the ring wearing El Generico's mask on his head. There were a few good spots from Kyle working over Steen's arm. Steen had a really nice spot where he pulled off a one-armed package piledriver. Steen put on the mask and ended up winning with a Generico brainbuster.
After the match, Steen tried to beat on Kyle some more, but Corino talked him down. Corino and Steen got a bunch of heat from the crowd and Steen tried to "attack" some of the people in the crowd wearing Generico's mask.
(4) Adam Cole beat Steve Corino (Kevin Steen) in SOTF qualifying match #4. Really nice match with a lot of good spots from both. Steve was very cocky the whole match and Steen was still playing to the crowd. Cole ended up winning with a roll-up. Steen started beating down on Cole, but Generico came out for the save. Sadly for him, he was put through a table.
(5) ROH TV champion Eddie Edwards beat ROH tag champion Chris Hero via submission in SOTF qualifying match #5. Easily the most technical match of the night. Great effort from both parties with Edwards getting the win by submission.
(6) Kenny King beat El Generico in SOTF qualifying match #6. Generico tried to fight through the pain he suffered earlier, but to no avail. King won.
(7) Christopher Daniels & The Briscoes (Jay & Mark) beat ROH World champion Roderick Strong & House of Truth (Zack Gowen & Michael Elgin) in a six-man tag match (main event #1). Yeah, I was surprised too at Gowen appearing. Daniels won with the Best Moonsault Ever on Gowen. Great high-flying spots in the match. Fun to watch. The best spot was Elgin giving a Samoan drop and fallaway slam to each Briscoe at the same time.
(8) ROH TV champion Eddie Edwards won the Survival of the Fittest tournament in a six-way elimination match over Rhett Titus, Claudio Castagnoli, Kevin Steen, Adam Cole, and Kenny King (main event #2). This match was pretty entertaining even before it started. Generico comes out before the match and beat on Steen for a while. Steen ended up on the ropes facing the ramp while Generico was carried out by security.
The match started and Steen got a big boot from Claudio for the first (and fastest) elimination of the night. Adam Cole was out next by Claudio again. Eddie left after a short time because he injured his shoulder in the match with Hero. Claudio took out Titus. Eddie then came back out, kicked Claudio in the head, and King hit his finisher on Claudio for the next elimination. Eddie ended up winning with his Achilles lock where he bent King completely backwards.
Order of Elimination:
-- Steen via Claudio
-- Cole via Claudio
-- Titus via Claudio
-- Claudio via King
-- King via Edwards, the winner
[Torch art credit Marco D'Alfonso (c) PWTorch.com]
THE TORCH REACHES MORE COMBAT ENTERTAINMENT FANS THAN ANY OTHER SOURCE
PWTorch editor Wade Keller has covered pro wrestling full time since 1987 starting with the Pro Wrestling Torch print newsletter. PWTorch.com launched in 1999 and the PWTorch Apps launched in 2008.
He has conducted "Torch Talk" insider interviews with Hulk Hogan, The Rock, Steve Austin, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Eric Bischoff, Jesse Ventura, Lou Thesz, Jerry Lawler, Mick Foley, Jim Ross, Paul Heyman, Bruno Sammartino, Goldberg, more.
He has interviewed big-name players in person incluiding Vince McMahon (at WWE Headquarters), Dana White (in Las Vegas), Eric Bischoff (at the first Nitro at Mall of America), Brock Lesnar (after his first UFC win).
He hosted the weekly Pro Wrestling Focus radio show on KFAN in the early 1990s and hosted the Ultimate Insiders DVD series distributed in retail stories internationally in the mid-2000s including interviews filmed in Los Angeles with Vince Russo & Ed Ferrara and Matt & Jeff Hardy. He currently hosts the most listened to pro wrestling audio show in the world, (the PWTorch Livecast, top ranked in iTunes)
REACHING 1 MILLION+ UNIQUE USERS PER MONTH
500 MILLION CLICKS & LISTENS PER YEAR
MILLIONS OF PWTORCH NEWSLETTERS SOLD
PWTorch offers a VIP membership for $10 a month (or less with an annual sub). It includes nearly 25 years worth of archives from our coverage of pro wrestling dating back to PWTorch Newsletters from the late-'80s filled with insider secrets from every era that are available to VIPers in digital PDF format and Keller's radio show from the early 1990s.
Also, new exclusive top-shelf content every day including a new VIP-exclusive weekly 16 page digital magazine-style (PC and iPad compatible) PDF newsletter packed with exclusive articles and news.
The following features come with a VIP membership which tens of thousands of fans worldwide have enjoyed for many years...
-New Digital PWTorch Newsletter every week
-3 New Digital PDF Back Issues from 5, 10, 20 years ago
-Over 60 new VIP Audio Shows each week
-Ad-free access to all PWTorch.com free articles
-VIP Forum access with daily interaction with PWTorch staff and well-informed fellow wrestling fans
-Tons of archived audio and text articles
-Decades of Torch Talk insider interviews in transcript and audio formats with big name stars. **SIGN UP FOR VIP ACCESS HERE**