Arena Reports 9/15 TNA results York, Pa.: Angle defends World Title, Ray vs. Roode BFG Finals re-match, Hardy return speech
Sep 16, 2011 - 8:21:53 PM
PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO BOOKMARK US & VISIT US DAILY
TNA house show report
September 15, 2011
Report by Greg Kurtz, PWTorch reader
On Thursday, TNA returned to the York Fair for the second year. The crowd seemed a bit larger than last year, and they were into most wrestlers. A $50 ticket afforded a ringside (or close to it) seat and a meet and greet, but the meet and greet was only ringside for the wrestlers who came out prior to the show. There was a "Hardy Party" deal where the purchase of a Hardy racing truck included a chance to meet him backstage. The wrestlers signing ringside were Mexican America, Austin Aries, Brian Kendrick, The Pope, and Winter.
At the start of the show, Jeremy Borash came out for the usual "backstage pass to the loudest fan" spiel.
(1) X Division champion Austin Aries beat Brian Kendrick and Robbie E. in a three-way match to retain the X Division Title. Aries did a fist-pump dance, which was pretty funny. Aries won this quick match, which could have gone longer. All three, even Robbie E., got a good response.
Earl Hebner came out for the next match doing the "Damn Right I Did" gimmick, mocking Bret Hart with pink sunglasses and his mannerisms, then did a crotch chop.
(2) James Storm beat Gunner. Loud "Beer....Money" chants for Storm. I think with some character development, Gunner could make a decent heel. Big pop when Storm won.
(3) Knockouts champion Winter beat Mickie James to retain the Knockouts Title. The crowd seemed dead when Winter came out, perhaps not knowing who she was or what she was about. Loud chants for Mickie. Mickie's music played after the match to keep the crowd happy.
(4) Bobby Roode beat Bully Ray via submission. Ray asked Roode to put up his #1 contender slot, which Roode agreed to. Lots of "you tapped out" chants to Ray, coming off the PPV. Roode made Ray tap out to his armbar finisher. Bully Ray has come a long way since 3D, and I think he is a great heel and should rise the card. After the match, Ray scared a little girl in the crowd, so JB said she would get backstage passes to "give him a piece of her mind." Doubtful, as the girl looked terrified of Ray, a great heel tactic.
(5) TNA tag champions Mexican America (Hernandez & Anarquia) beat The Pope & Devon. I thought Pope and Devon were at odds about Pope spending time with Devon's sons, but they acted like the best of friends here. Pope and Devon were over with this crowd. "ECW" chants for Devon at the end as both posed and laughed it up together.
(6) Jeff Hardy beat Jeff Jarrett. Hardy came out to apologize personally to the fans for his behavior this past year, when Jarrett dragged Earl Hebner to the ring and told Hardy he has to apologize to him as the founder of the company. Jarrett jumped Hardy before the bell. Hardy was over huge, as always. Hardy won with a Twist of Hate (is it a Twist of Fate now that he is a babyface again?) and a Swanton off the top rope. Hardy then posed and slapped hands with those fans closest to ringside. Hardy seemed motivated and very happy to be there, and called himself a "Charismatic Father."
(7) TNA World Hvt. champion Kurt Angle beat Mr. Anderson via Angle Slam to retain the World Title. Anderson was looking for the drop mic, so JB slipped in the ring behind him, stood on a chair, and dropped a mic down to him. Lots of chants for Anderson, and some for Angle too. It was a bit uncomfortable hearing chants of "Lets Go A**hole" considering the small children in the crowd. Anderson suddenly disappeared after the match and $20 got a picture for an entire group with Kurt Angle.
Overall, a great show with some good action and a great crowd. House shows seem better than TV, as there are few long stories to keep up with, and the "40 Plus Club" isn't hogging the time. This was my fourth TNA show, and it was worth the money, even if the meet and greet was a bit confusing. Highly recommend checking out TNA on the road!
THE TORCH REACHES MORE COMBAT ENTERTAINMENT FANS THAN ANY OTHER SOURCE
PWTorch editor Wade Keller has covered pro wrestling full time since 1987 starting with the Pro Wrestling Torch print newsletter. PWTorch.com launched in 1999 and the PWTorch Apps launched in 2008.
He has conducted "Torch Talk" insider interviews with Hulk Hogan, The Rock, Steve Austin, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Eric Bischoff, Jesse Ventura, Lou Thesz, Jerry Lawler, Mick Foley, Jim Ross, Paul Heyman, Bruno Sammartino, Goldberg, more.
He has interviewed big-name players in person incluiding Vince McMahon (at WWE Headquarters), Dana White (in Las Vegas), Eric Bischoff (at the first Nitro at Mall of America), Brock Lesnar (after his first UFC win).
He hosted the weekly Pro Wrestling Focus radio show on KFAN in the early 1990s and hosted the Ultimate Insiders DVD series distributed in retail stories internationally in the mid-2000s including interviews filmed in Los Angeles with Vince Russo & Ed Ferrara and Matt & Jeff Hardy. He currently hosts the most listened to pro wrestling audio show in the world, (the PWTorch Livecast, top ranked in iTunes)
REACHING 1 MILLION+ UNIQUE USERS PER MONTH
500 MILLION CLICKS & LISTENS PER YEAR
MILLIONS OF PWTORCH NEWSLETTERS SOLD
PWTorch offers a VIP membership for $10 a month (or less with an annual sub). It includes nearly 25 years worth of archives from our coverage of pro wrestling dating back to PWTorch Newsletters from the late-'80s filled with insider secrets from every era that are available to VIPers in digital PDF format and Keller's radio show from the early 1990s.
Also, new exclusive top-shelf content every day including a new VIP-exclusive weekly 16 page digital magazine-style (PC and iPad compatible) PDF newsletter packed with exclusive articles and news.
The following features come with a VIP membership which tens of thousands of fans worldwide have enjoyed for many years...
-New Digital PWTorch Newsletter every week
-3 New Digital PDF Back Issues from 5, 10, 20 years ago
-Over 60 new VIP Audio Shows each week
-Ad-free access to all PWTorch.com free articles
-VIP Forum access with daily interaction with PWTorch staff and well-informed fellow wrestling fans
-Tons of archived audio and text articles
-Decades of Torch Talk insider interviews in transcript and audio formats with big name stars. **SIGN UP FOR VIP ACCESS HERE**