Arena Reports SHOW RESULTS - 12/28 AAW in Berwyn, Ill.: Richards's AAW farewell vs. Jimmy Jacobs, Steen defends AAW Title, Elgin wins Tag Titles, more from 2013 finale
Dec 30, 2013 - 3:36:08 PM
PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO BOOKMARK US & VISIT US DAILY
By James Caldwell, PWTorch assistant editor
AAW "One Twisted Christmas" results
December 28, 2013
Berwyn, Ill. at the Berwyn Eagles Club
AAW "Pro Wrestling Redefined" closed out their 2013 campaign with their largest crowd at the Berwyn Eagles Club of the year. It was standing-room only for the main event re-match between AAW Heavyweight champion Kevin Steen and former titleholder Shane Hollister.
(1) Moondog Bernard (w/manager Jon Presley) vs. AAW newcomer Marcus Edwards was interrupted by Kevin Harvey, Nikki Mayday, and behemoth, Keith Walker, who cleared the ring. Harvey aired his grievances about AAW officiating, which was answered by Michael Elgin.
(2) Michael Elgin beat Keith Walker. This was a brawl between two big men executing moves of strength. Elgin survived an onslaught from Walker's group, then nailed a sit-down powerbomb to pin the big man.
(3) AAW Heritage champion Matt Cage beat Mallaki Matthews, a youngster who had not seen much action on the main wrestling cards. While Matthews tried to muster a good fight against Cage, it was apparent that he was not yet at the level of Cage. Cage hit the Codebreaker to retain his title within a matter of five minutes.
(4) Knight Wagner & “Miss Natural” Heather Patera (w/Truth Martini) beat Tony Rican & Heidi Lovelace in a Fans Bring the Weapons match. This followed MsChif announcing that she would be out of action for the next year due to her pregnancy. The match itself featured various weapons involved before Truth used his book as a weapon on Rican, allowing Wagner to hit a top-rope Michinoku Driver into thumbtacks for the pin.
(5) Colt Cabana submitted Tweek Phoenix with the Billy Goat's Curse. Cabana was introduced as Phoenix's opponent, bringing Cabana back to AAW for the first time in a few months. Phoenix tried to win by using his boot as a weapon, but Cabana recovered for the submission win.
(6) Jimmy Jacobs submitted Davey Richards. They battled in and out of the ring during the match. The end of the match saw Jacobs hitt the Contra Code on Richards, but only manage a two-count on the pin. Jacobs then put Richards in the End Time submission one last time, forcing Davey to tap out. Jimmy Jacobs was victorious by submission.
Following the match, Jimmy Jacobs spoke to the crowd about Davey, explaining that the crowd really doesn’t know how good a wrestler Richards is. Jimmy wanted to give Davey a proper send-off, leaving the ring and the microphone to him. The crowd gave Davey a standing ovation, as he remarked about his time spent on the independent scene. He said that the fans were there in the good times and in the bad times, and that wherever he may be in the future, the hunt will still be on.
(7) Ryan Boz & Arik Cannon beat Dan Lawrence & Markus Crane. Boz was able to stand tall at the end of the match, as he hit a Boz Driver on Crane to get the pinfall victory. Boz and Cannon celebrated with some PBR, as Lawrence and Crane would have to take the bottle of Malort and drown their sorrows.
(8) Silas Young beat Eddie Kingston in a grudge match. Plenty of weapon use in the match. For the finish, Kingston bodyslammed Young on the top of the steel ring steps. However, Young was able to recompose himself, and he landed a surprise attack on Kingston, leading to a crucifix pin attempt. The referee hit the three-count and Silas was the winner of the match.
After the match, Kingston sneak-attacked Silas Young as he celebrated with Val Malone. Kingston was going to take one of the steel chairs and hit Young with it. However, Val prevented the attack, stripping the chair from Kingston’s grasp and tried hitting him three times with it to no avail. As Malone interference failed, Kingston sought the opportunity to attack “Silas’s woman” as Young was taped to the ropes. Kingston lifted Malone up and hit a brainbuster onto the steel chair, knocking her out cold. Afterward, AAW personnel and ring crew tended to Val and freed Silas from the ropes. Val was then removed from the ring using a steel chair as a makeshift gurney.
(9) Michael Elgin & Ethan Page beat AAW tag champs Kung Fu Manchu and Zero Gravity in an elimination match to capture the AAW Tag Titles. Kung Fu Manchu were eliminated first. Elgin and Page were too much for Zero Gravity, as the diminutive duo couldn’t best the strength of the Men of the Year. Elgin discus-punched Gakiya and powerbombed him into the corner, before Page stole the glory from his partner by hitting a spinning Rock Bottom to gain the pinfall victory.
Elgin now joins elite company in AAW as a triple crown titleholder (winner of the AAW Heavyweight, Heritage, and Tag Team Titles). Elgin is the fourth wrestler to reach that status, joining Jimmy Jacobs, Dan Lawrence, and Shane Hollister.
(10) Shane Hollister beat AAW champion Kevin Steen to re-capture the AAW Hvt. Title. Steen had had enough of interference from Scarlett Bordeaux and Markus Crane, eventually hitting a package piledriver on Crane after he broke up one of Steen’s pin attempts. Even with one less person to worry about, Steen was not able to gain the upper hand on Hollister. For the finish, Hollister surprised Steen with Shug’s Last Gift on the remnants of a chair and got the three-count. Hollister regained the AAW Heavyweight Title from the man who took it from him a month ago.
AAW returns to the Berwyn Eagles Club on Friday, January 24 for “The Chaos Theory” event, which will feature the return of Ricochet, as well as the AAW debut of Uhaa Nation. Also announced for the show are AAW Heavyweight champion Shane Hollister, AAW Heritage champion “Money” Matt Cage, AAW Tag Team champions Michael Elgin & Ethan Page, Jimmy Jacobs, Eddie Kingston, Silas Young, A.C.H., and the “We Are Here” group of Keith Walker, Kevin Harvey, and Nikki Mayday.
[Torch art credit Marco D'Alfonso (c) PWTorch.com]
THE TORCH REACHES MORE COMBAT ENTERTAINMENT FANS THAN ANY OTHER SOURCE
PWTorch editor Wade Keller has covered pro wrestling full time since 1987 starting with the Pro Wrestling Torch print newsletter. PWTorch.com launched in 1999 and the PWTorch Apps launched in 2008.
He has conducted "Torch Talk" insider interviews with Hulk Hogan, The Rock, Steve Austin, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Eric Bischoff, Jesse Ventura, Lou Thesz, Jerry Lawler, Mick Foley, Jim Ross, Paul Heyman, Bruno Sammartino, Goldberg, more.
He has interviewed big-name players in person incluiding Vince McMahon (at WWE Headquarters), Dana White (in Las Vegas), Eric Bischoff (at the first Nitro at Mall of America), Brock Lesnar (after his first UFC win).
He hosted the weekly Pro Wrestling Focus radio show on KFAN in the early 1990s and hosted the Ultimate Insiders DVD series distributed in retail stories internationally in the mid-2000s including interviews filmed in Los Angeles with Vince Russo & Ed Ferrara and Matt & Jeff Hardy. He currently hosts the most listened to pro wrestling audio show in the world, (the PWTorch Livecast, top ranked in iTunes)
REACHING 1 MILLION+ UNIQUE USERS PER MONTH
500 MILLION CLICKS & LISTENS PER YEAR
MILLIONS OF PWTORCH NEWSLETTERS SOLD
PWTorch offers a VIP membership for $10 a month (or less with an annual sub). It includes nearly 25 years worth of archives from our coverage of pro wrestling dating back to PWTorch Newsletters from the late-'80s filled with insider secrets from every era that are available to VIPers in digital PDF format and Keller's radio show from the early 1990s.
Also, new exclusive top-shelf content every day including a new VIP-exclusive weekly 16 page digital magazine-style (PC and iPad compatible) PDF newsletter packed with exclusive articles and news.
The following features come with a VIP membership which tens of thousands of fans worldwide have enjoyed for many years...
-New Digital PWTorch Newsletter every week
-3 New Digital PDF Back Issues from 5, 10, 20 years ago
-Over 60 new VIP Audio Shows each week
-Ad-free access to all PWTorch.com free articles
-VIP Forum access with daily interaction with PWTorch staff and well-informed fellow wrestling fans
-Tons of archived audio and text articles
-Decades of Torch Talk insider interviews in transcript and audio formats with big name stars. **SIGN UP FOR VIP ACCESS HERE**