Arena Reports SHOW RESULTS - 9/27 WWE in Syracuse, N.Y.: Cena beats WWE Champ in the main event, Jericho in action, IC Title match, more
Sep 30, 2015 - 12:00:09 AM
PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO BOOKMARK US & VISIT US DAILY
WWE Live show results
September 27, 2015
Report by Bob M. from Whitesboro, N.Y.
WWE held a live event on Sunday evening in Syracuse at the Oncenter War Memorial Arena. There were several clusters of empty seats, despite being held at the family friendly time of 5:00 p.m. Maybe 3,000-4,000 in attendance, as the place was probably half full, but spread out to all parts of the arena.
Byron Saxton welcomed us and they showed Hell in a Cell 1998 on the arena screen as people were being seated. Jo Jo was the ring announcer and sang the National Anthem, Triple H welcomed us via video, and we were underway!
(1) WWE tag champions New Day beat the Dudleys and Prime Time Players in a three-team match to retain the WWE Tag Titles. Bubba was rolled up following a referee distraction. I honestly couldn't tell you which New Day members were supposed to be legal, as all three seemed to take part in the match liberally, and the rules were not very strictly enforced. After the match, the Dudleys put Xavier through a table to pop the crowd.
(2) Curtis Axel & Damien Sandow beat Los Matadores when El Torito interfered against Los Matadores. Mid-match, "Bad to the Bone" began playing over the loudspeakers, and El Torito came running out. He gave several huracanranas to both Matadores. Again, the rules seemed to be rather lax as this didn't lead to a DQ, despite happening in full view of the ref! Axel and Sandow got very little crowd response, but the crowd enjoyed chanting "Ole!" along with Los Matadores. Also, El Torito excited the kids when he ran out.
(3) Chris Jericho beat Luke Harper. Both guys had mic time before the match. Harper was out first. He got some applause since he is the former Brodie Lee, who wrestled for the local 2CW promotion. But, the place really went nuts for Jericho! He did his usual mic work before the show, including "Welcome to...Syracuse is Jericho!" and telling Luke that after he beats him, Harper would "never, e-e-e-ever, be the same a-gain!" Good match that Jericho won with the Codebreaker. Always a treat when you get to see Jericho, since he is a part-timer these days, and he high-fived fans and signed some fan signs on his way to the back.
(4) Ryback beat IC champion Kevin Owens via DQ; Owens retained the Intercontinental Title. Owens was over with a lot of the crowd, but people still enjoyed chanting "Feed Me More." The match was good, but the finish was a little lame with Owens gouging Ryback's eyes right in front of the ref for the blatant DQ. Ryback recovered enough to give Owens a bit of a beating to send the crowd to intermission on a high note.
[Intermission with merchandise plugs from Byron Saxton and Jo Jo.]
(5) Divas champion Charlotte & Becky Lynch beat The Bella Twins (Nikki & Brie w/Alicia Fox). A lot of interference from Alicia Fox behind the ref's back, and when he finally caught her interfering, he sent her to the back. With the odds even, the faces took control and won the match when Charlotte applied the Figure Eight and Nikki tapped out.
(6) Big Show beat Cesaro. Cesaro worked an arm and after three tries throughout the match, finally bodyslammed Big Show. But in the end, Cesaro fell victim to Show's KO Punch. A bit of a slow match, which brought the crowd down as we prepared for the main event.
(7) U.S. champion John Cena beat WWE World Hvt. champion Seth Rollins to retain the U.S. Title. The crowd blew the roof off the place for Cena. Great match as you would expect, even if it was just a house show. This one featured a ref bump, a new ref coming down, and Seth slugging him (which apparently was legal since that wasn't the original ref, haha). Seth laid out Cena with several chair shots while both refs were down, and even did some mic work at that point to tell us Cena was a loser, just like all of us! But, this allowed Cena to make his comeback and hit the AA just as the original ref re-entered the ring to count the pin, sending the crowd home happy.
A concise show at two-and-a-half hours (including the 15-minute intermission). There were some random lighting issues, where the ring suddenly went dark a few times, and the screens only showed the WWE logo all night, not any of the action in the ring. Still, a very enjoyable evening of WWE action! No return date was announced.
THE TORCH REACHES MORE COMBAT ENTERTAINMENT FANS THAN ANY OTHER SOURCE
PWTorch editor Wade Keller has covered pro wrestling full time since 1987 starting with the Pro Wrestling Torch print newsletter. PWTorch.com launched in 1999 and the PWTorch Apps launched in 2008.
He has conducted "Torch Talk" insider interviews with Hulk Hogan, The Rock, Steve Austin, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Eric Bischoff, Jesse Ventura, Lou Thesz, Jerry Lawler, Mick Foley, Jim Ross, Paul Heyman, Bruno Sammartino, Goldberg, more.
He has interviewed big-name players in person incluiding Vince McMahon (at WWE Headquarters), Dana White (in Las Vegas), Eric Bischoff (at the first Nitro at Mall of America), Brock Lesnar (after his first UFC win).
He hosted the weekly Pro Wrestling Focus radio show on KFAN in the early 1990s and hosted the Ultimate Insiders DVD series distributed in retail stories internationally in the mid-2000s including interviews filmed in Los Angeles with Vince Russo & Ed Ferrara and Matt & Jeff Hardy. He currently hosts the most listened to pro wrestling audio show in the world, (the PWTorch Livecast, top ranked in iTunes)
REACHING 1 MILLION+ UNIQUE USERS PER MONTH
500 MILLION CLICKS & LISTENS PER YEAR
MILLIONS OF PWTORCH NEWSLETTERS SOLD
PWTorch offers a VIP membership for $10 a month (or less with an annual sub). It includes nearly 25 years worth of archives from our coverage of pro wrestling dating back to PWTorch Newsletters from the late-'80s filled with insider secrets from every era that are available to VIPers in digital PDF format and Keller's radio show from the early 1990s.
Also, new exclusive top-shelf content every day including a new VIP-exclusive weekly 16 page digital magazine-style (PC and iPad compatible) PDF newsletter packed with exclusive articles and news.
The following features come with a VIP membership which tens of thousands of fans worldwide have enjoyed for many years...
-New Digital PWTorch Newsletter every week
-3 New Digital PDF Back Issues from 5, 10, 20 years ago
-Over 60 new VIP Audio Shows each week
-Ad-free access to all PWTorch.com free articles
-VIP Forum access with daily interaction with PWTorch staff and well-informed fellow wrestling fans
-Tons of archived audio and text articles
-Decades of Torch Talk insider interviews in transcript and audio formats with big name stars. **SIGN UP FOR VIP ACCESS HERE**