TV REPORTS 9/28 WWE Smackdown review by Rivers: Noble vs. Moore, Taker vs. Henry, MVP's Lounge
Oct 6, 2007 - 6:31:11 PM
PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO BOOKMARK US & VISIT US DAILY
WWE Smackdown review
September 28, 2007
Aired on The CW
Report by Chris Rivers, PWTorch.com contributor
A recap of last week's wedding debacle.
Backstage, Vince and Vickie are hugging. It seems that Teddy has been in a coma since last week. Vince says that the show must go on and that, in that spirit, he is going to name Vickie the new Smackdown General Manager. She accepts the position. Vince turns to find Finlay and proceeds to ask his advice on how to deal with Hornswoggle.
Hype for tonight's Mark Henry vs. Undertaker match.
(1) Victoria defeated Torrie Wilson by pinfall. Victoria starts the match with a takedown then utilizes her bridged camel clutch maneuver. She then floats back over into a front facelock. Torrie with a go behind into a waistlock followed by a takedown. Torrie steps on Victoria's back and comes off the ropes with a crossbody. Torrie with an armdrag. Victoria slaps at Torrie and tries to kick her, but Torrie catches her, spins her, and pushes her into the ropes. A roll-up by Torrie for the two-count. Double-leg takedown by Torrie followed by a bridge pin for another two-count. Victoria throws Torrie to the outside and drops her face first onto the apron. Back in the ring and a snap suplex by Victoria followed by a float-over into a cover for the two-count. Victoria has Torrie in a fireman's carry, Torrie slips out, and rolls up Victoria for the two-count. Torrie with a huracanrana off of the ropes followed by a couple of clotheslines. Torrie with a facebuster to the mat on Victoria for a two-count. Victoria sends Torrie to the corner and charges, but Torrie jumps over her and goes for the sunset flip. Victoria sits on Torrie and holds onto the ropes for the three-count.
After the match, Torrie is attacked by a new mystery diva (Krissy Vaine)
Taker's Smackdown return for tonight is hyped.
Last weeks Hardy/MVP vs. Deuce/Domino match is recapped.
MVP's VIP Lounge. MVP says that last weeks Smackdown resulted in major changes, most importantly Teddy Long's heart attack. MVP mentions that tonight is his one year Smackdown anniversary. He then goes on to state that Matt Hardy is lucky to have the opportunity to ride his coat tails. Matt Hardy makes his way down to the ring and tells MVP he brought him a gift tonight, a video package of his best moments during his first year on Smackdown. All of the moments are among MVP's most embarrassing. MVP starts to get upset, but Matt says that it was a joke and his real present to MVP is a bottle of champagne. Matt proposes a toast calling MVP arrogant, egotistical, hard headed, etc. Matt says that, once again, he's joking. He says that he has shown his true appreciation by setting up a match for MVP tonight...against Kane.
More hype for Taker vs. Mark Henry
(2) Chuck Palumbo defeated Kenny Dykstra via pinfall. Headlock takedown by Palumbo followed by a knockdown. Palumbo drives Dykstra into the corner then picks Dykstra up and drives him into the opposite corner. Palumbo then throws Dykstra across the ring by the neck. Bodyslam by Palumbo who then misses an elbow attempt. Dykstra with a dropkick from the top for a one-count. Kicks by Dykstra followed by a stomp to the face for a two-count. Dykstra with a chinlock/leg scissors combo. Palumbo drives him into the turnbuckle and follows with a clothesline. Palumbo with a slam on a charging Dykstra. Dykstra with a kick attempt, but he's caught and Palumbo delivers a short clothesline. Dykstra across the ring, leaps from the middle turnbuckle but is caught for a belly-to-belly by Palumbo who then delivers the big boot followed by the full throttle for the victory.
Footage of Stone Cold Steve Austin signing The Condemned in New York City.
Plug for the JBL/Rey interview and Kane vs. MVP
Jesse and Festus say they'll debut next week.
Cole and JBL discuss the Punjabi Prison Match at No Mercy between Khali and Batista and show the events of last week between Batista, Mark Henry, and Khali.
Batista is interviewed on the tron by Cole and JBL. Batista says that he has no strategy for No Mercy and says that he's not afraid as he's at his most dangerous when backed into a corner.
Kane is shown heading to the ring.
Hype for Rey vs. Khali next week.
More hype for Taker's return tonight.
(3) Kane defeated MVP by DQ. MVP with a wristlock on Kane. Kane bodyslams MVP. Side headlock by MVP. Kane shoots him into the ropes and knocks him down. MVP shoves Kane. An uppercut from Kane and Kane sends MVP into the ropes, but MVP holds on and ducks outside the ring. Kane follows him out and delivers two good uppercuts. MVP clothesline's Kane on the top rope. MVP runs into the Kane boot followed by a Kane uppercut. MVP comes off of the ropes and delivers a low drop kick to Kane's knee. Kane sends MVP into the corner and charges, but MVP catches him with an elbow. MVP with a DDT on Kane for a one-count. Neckbreaker by MVP for a one-count. Punches by MVP for another one-count. Even more punches by MVP for yet another one-count. Two uppercuts and a kick by Kane. Elbow by Kane who then misses a flying clothesline. MVP gets a two-count. A front facelock followed by an armbar by MVP. Punches in the corner by MVP followed by a righthand by Kane. Kane charges MVP in the corner, but misses. MVP goes for a kick but Kane catches him and delivers a short clothesline. Back body drop by Kane. Kane goes for the chokeslam, but MVP fights out. MVP off the ropes and he and Kane crack skulls. MVP rolls outside.
MVP is in control as we come back from break. Front facelock by MVP followed by a running boot to Kane's temple for a two-count. Facebuster by MVP. Kick to Kane in the corner for a two-count. Uppercut from Kane followed by two running clotheslines. Sideslam by Kane for a two-count. Kane up top followed by MVP. Kane with a headbutt followed by a flying clothesline. MVP dumps Kane over the ropes. Kane back in goes for the chokeslam, but MVP hits the lowblow for the DQ.
Diva Search finalist - limbo competition is shown.
JBL interviews Rey Mysterio. JBL says that Rey has too much machismo for coming out here tonight. Rey asks JBL why JBL hates him so much? Rey asks JBL if he's had trouble accepting the fact that Rey ended his career? JBL says that's right. JBL shoves down Rey who trips him up, dropkicks him into the ropes, hits the 619 and the sitting senton. Finlay then attacks Rey and leaves the ring.
Recap of Noble/Yang/Moore from last week.
Hornswoggle and Vickie are in the back. She says that she's sure Hornswoggle has a target on his back. Therefore, to protect him, she asks him to surrender the Cruiserweight Title, which he does.
(4) Jamie Noble defeated Shannon Moore by pinfall. Noble is on Moore early. Dropkick by Moore followed by an atomic drop and a boot to the face for a one-ct. Noble to the outside, Shannon Moore misses a baseball slide to the outside and Moore puts Noble into the ring apron. Inside, Moore goes up top and leaps into a gutbuster by Noble. Noble turns Moore over into the Boston crab. Moore follows with a neckbreaker and spinning heel kick. Moore to the corner, leaps out catching Noble with a crossbody. Legdrop for a two-count by Moore. Moore, on Noble's shoulders, is dropped face first to the mat. Noble with a gut-buster for the win.
Taker's Smackdown return is hyped.
Khali cuts a promo saying that Batista can't run at No Mercy.
Rundown of the No Mercy card.
(5) Taker defeated Mark Henry by pinfall. Henry heads outside and Taker follows. Henry attacks Taker. Back in the ring, Henry charges Taker in the corner, but runs into Taker's boot. Taker with a wristlock goes for Old School but Henry catches him and rams him into the corner. Henry with a splash in the corner. Punchfest between Henry and Taker. Taker charges Henry who knocks him to the mat. Splash by Henry for a two-count. Henry misses the elbow. Another punchfest between Henry and Taker. Taker with a flying clothesline followed by two splashes in the corner. Taker for the chokeslam, but Henry battles out. Off the ropes, Taker goes for it again and hits it for the pin.
Score: (3.5): A dud of a show. For No Mercy to be so close they sure aren't making things seem special.
THE TORCH REACHES MORE COMBAT ENTERTAINMENT FANS THAN ANY OTHER SOURCE
PWTorch editor Wade Keller has covered pro wrestling full time since 1987 starting with the Pro Wrestling Torch print newsletter. PWTorch.com launched in 1999 and the PWTorch Apps launched in 2008.
He has conducted "Torch Talk" insider interviews with Hulk Hogan, The Rock, Steve Austin, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Eric Bischoff, Jesse Ventura, Lou Thesz, Jerry Lawler, Mick Foley, Jim Ross, Paul Heyman, Bruno Sammartino, Goldberg, more.
He has interviewed big-name players in person incluiding Vince McMahon (at WWE Headquarters), Dana White (in Las Vegas), Eric Bischoff (at the first Nitro at Mall of America), Brock Lesnar (after his first UFC win).
He hosted the weekly Pro Wrestling Focus radio show on KFAN in the early 1990s and hosted the Ultimate Insiders DVD series distributed in retail stories internationally in the mid-2000s including interviews filmed in Los Angeles with Vince Russo & Ed Ferrara and Matt & Jeff Hardy. He currently hosts the most listened to pro wrestling audio show in the world, (the PWTorch Livecast, top ranked in iTunes)
REACHING 1 MILLION+ UNIQUE USERS PER MONTH
500 MILLION CLICKS & LISTENS PER YEAR
MILLIONS OF PWTORCH NEWSLETTERS SOLD
PWTorch offers a VIP membership for $10 a month (or less with an annual sub). It includes nearly 25 years worth of archives from our coverage of pro wrestling dating back to PWTorch Newsletters from the late-'80s filled with insider secrets from every era that are available to VIPers in digital PDF format and Keller's radio show from the early 1990s.
Also, new exclusive top-shelf content every day including a new VIP-exclusive weekly 16 page digital magazine-style (PC and iPad compatible) PDF newsletter packed with exclusive articles and news.
The following features come with a VIP membership which tens of thousands of fans worldwide have enjoyed for many years...
-New Digital PWTorch Newsletter every week
-3 New Digital PDF Back Issues from 5, 10, 20 years ago
-Over 60 new VIP Audio Shows each week
-Ad-free access to all PWTorch.com free articles
-VIP Forum access with daily interaction with PWTorch staff and well-informed fellow wrestling fans
-Tons of archived audio and text articles
-Decades of Torch Talk insider interviews in transcript and audio formats with big name stars. **SIGN UP FOR VIP ACCESS HERE**