Torch Today SEPT. 17 IN HISTORY: Piper delivers infamous rambling promo on TNA PPV 10 years ago, plus Raven shaved bald
Sep 17, 2013 - 9:35:21 AM
PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO BOOKMARK US & VISIT US DAILY
This Day In Wrestling History - September 17
Date: September 17, 2003 (10 years ago)
Feature: TNA's weekly Wednesday Night PPV ten years ago today featured a main event of Shane Douglas vs. Raven, whose head was shaved bald after losing. But, the show is most-remembered for Roddy Piper's infamous, rambling promo following his WWE release that involved Roddy Piper...
Not a VIP member? Find out how to access over 1,000 PWTorch Newsletter back-issues right now by CLICKING HERE - PWTorch.com/GoVIP.
NWA-TNA PPV RESULTS
SEPTEMBER 17, 2003
LIVE FROM NASHVILLE, TENN.
By Wade Keller, Torch editor
Mike Tenay and Don West introduced the show…
(1) B.G. James & Ron "The Truth" Killings beat America's Most Wanted and Sin & Slash (w/James Mitchell) and Kid Kash & Abyss. Konnan joined Tenay and West on commentary and he talked about the SAP option for Spanish announcing during TNA shows. The match was just a series of moves between two wrestlers, then a near fall, then a save by someone, then another wrestler or wrestlers tagging in fresh and doing the same thing. Rinse and repeat. Entertaining, but not exactly emotionally gripping in any way. (*)
Roddy Piper made his first TV appearance since being ousted from WWE for comments he made on HBO about being unhappy with his job and having a recent drug problem. Piper walked to the ring and said he is "as real as it gets," then immediately cited his "artificial hip" as evidence, which seemed like a strange choice of words. It got strange, as Piper was at his rambling worst with zero grip on reality. He talked about how the internet claimed he was a drug addict and kids at his son's school read those reports and asked if he was a drug addict, humiliating himself and his son. The comments were strange because Piper had tearfully confessed on national TV just a few months ago that he was a drug addict. The internet reports he cited merely quoted his own words. Vince Russo came out to interrupt Piper. He said Piper ripped his heart out last time they went face-to-face by talking about something he knew nothing about, "And you know damn well what I'm talking out." Maybe Piper did, but Russo didn't let the viewers in on it. He told Piper, "You are here tonight because you burned every bridge and nobody wants you." Russo essentially described the company he works for as the last stop for people with no other options. Russo then said TNA had to decide between Piper and Russo because there isn't room for the both of them. Piper didn't specifically bring up WWE releasing him.
(2) D-Lo Brown beat Sonny Siaki in a casket match. D-Lo hit Siaki with a poor frog splash while Siaki was lying in the casket, then the former Jamal from 3 Minute Warning ran in and attacked D-Lo. He gave D-Lo a top rope splash and threw D-Lo into the casket. Siaki closed the lid to win. Blah. (1/2*)
Scott Hudson attempted to interview Don Callis regarding the Piper-Russo situation. Callis obsessed about Jerry Lynn instead, saying if he had his way, Lynn wouldn't get his title match next week. Erik Watts walked in and yapped about his power. Russo interrupted and yapped for five seconds. Blah blah blah.
(3) Chris Sabin & Nosawa & Michael Shane beat "Showtime" Eric Young & Frankie "The Future" Kazarian & Juventud Guerrera when Shane pinned Young at 9:07. Kazarian was talking to a woman at ringside afterward and didn't seem to care that he lost. Some neat highspots, but mostly a half-sloppy spotfest. (*1/2)
Christopher Daniels talked to three monk-like followers of his holding candles… Jeff Jarrett told TNA officials his choice was Piper instead of Russo and he cliched that he is the hunter and Daniels is the hunted… Hudson interviewed Mad Mikey who yelled at his tag partner Shark Boy for playing with a remote control blow up robot doll. He destroyed the robot doll…
(4) Simon Diamond & Johnny Swinger (w/Glenn Gilberti) beat Shark Boy & Mad Mikey at 3:00 to retain the NWA Tag Team Titles. How Shark Boy & Mikey earned a tag title shot when four contenders including former champs battled to earn a shot earlier is beyond reason. It made a mockery of the title opportunity system. They showed on an inset box Jarrett on the hunt for Daniels outside the arena. (*)
(5) A.J. Styles (w/Vince Russo) pinned Jerry Lynn to retain the NWA World Hvt. Title at 9:03. Disappointing, yet still a good under ten minute title match. Styles pinned a bloody Lynn after a low blow and Styles Clash. (***)
Russo came out and said, "The moment of truth has come." Then he realized he forgot about a little something - the title match his man just won seconds earlier. He stopped for a brief second to say congratulations to Styles, then immediately went back to a much more pressing issue - which is TNA's decision whether there is room for just Russo or just Piper in TNA. I have an idea. Dusty Rhodes came out and tried to talk Styles into dropping Russo as his manager. The talk seemed to work as Styles handed Dusty a bat to use against Russo. However, when Dusty turned to hit Russo, Styles hit Dusty from behind. Piper came out to make the save, but red shirted security stopped him and dragged him back to his padded room
(6) Shane Douglas beat Raven at 17:03 in a hair match. Both Raven and Douglas were bleeding in the first ten minutes. They brawled in the ring and at ringside. Douglas went to abdominal stretches mid-match. Raven escaped by hip tossing Douglas over the top rope to the floor. Douglas returned to the ring and promptly threw up all over the mat (just clear liquid). Slash interfered on a Raven pin attempt. They brought a table into the ring. Slash and Sin held Raven as Douglas kicked him. C.M. Punk and Julio Deniro ran out to make the save. Raven DDT'd Douglas off the top rope through a table and went for the pin. The lights went out during the pin (well, right after the three count, but hopefully everyone blinked). When they came back, the mystery man attacking Raven unmasked as Vampiro. Vamp DDT'd Raven. Douglas scored the pin, then Mitchell shaved Raven's head. (**1/2)
THE TORCH REACHES MORE COMBAT ENTERTAINMENT FANS THAN ANY OTHER SOURCE
PWTorch editor Wade Keller has covered pro wrestling full time since 1987 starting with the Pro Wrestling Torch print newsletter. PWTorch.com launched in 1999 and the PWTorch Apps launched in 2008.
He has conducted "Torch Talk" insider interviews with Hulk Hogan, The Rock, Steve Austin, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Eric Bischoff, Jesse Ventura, Lou Thesz, Jerry Lawler, Mick Foley, Jim Ross, Paul Heyman, Bruno Sammartino, Goldberg, more.
He has interviewed big-name players in person incluiding Vince McMahon (at WWE Headquarters), Dana White (in Las Vegas), Eric Bischoff (at the first Nitro at Mall of America), Brock Lesnar (after his first UFC win).
He hosted the weekly Pro Wrestling Focus radio show on KFAN in the early 1990s and hosted the Ultimate Insiders DVD series distributed in retail stories internationally in the mid-2000s including interviews filmed in Los Angeles with Vince Russo & Ed Ferrara and Matt & Jeff Hardy. He currently hosts the most listened to pro wrestling audio show in the world, (the PWTorch Livecast, top ranked in iTunes)
REACHING 1 MILLION+ UNIQUE USERS PER MONTH
500 MILLION CLICKS & LISTENS PER YEAR
MILLIONS OF PWTORCH NEWSLETTERS SOLD
PWTorch offers a VIP membership for $10 a month (or less with an annual sub). It includes nearly 25 years worth of archives from our coverage of pro wrestling dating back to PWTorch Newsletters from the late-'80s filled with insider secrets from every era that are available to VIPers in digital PDF format and Keller's radio show from the early 1990s.
Also, new exclusive top-shelf content every day including a new VIP-exclusive weekly 16 page digital magazine-style (PC and iPad compatible) PDF newsletter packed with exclusive articles and news.
The following features come with a VIP membership which tens of thousands of fans worldwide have enjoyed for many years...
-New Digital PWTorch Newsletter every week
-3 New Digital PDF Back Issues from 5, 10, 20 years ago
-Over 60 new VIP Audio Shows each week
-Ad-free access to all PWTorch.com free articles
-VIP Forum access with daily interaction with PWTorch staff and well-informed fellow wrestling fans
-Tons of archived audio and text articles
-Decades of Torch Talk insider interviews in transcript and audio formats with big name stars. **SIGN UP FOR VIP ACCESS HERE**