WWE News 5/28 WWE Saturday Night's Main Event tapings: Ongoing results of tonight's event in Toronto
May 28, 2007 - 7:45:00 PM
PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO BOOKMARK US & VISIT US DAILY
WWE Saturday Night's Main Event taping (before Raw)
May 28, 2007
Report by Adam Lebow, Torch correspondent
(1) Chuck Palumbo defeated Tyson Duxx of Border City Wrestling. Some boring chants. Palumbo, doing a biker gimmick, hits a sequence of over the head release german suplexes, followed by a running big boot and a dominator into a reverse stunner for the win.
SATURDAY NIGHT'S MAIN EVENT TAPING
The arena was about two-thirds full and fans continuing to filter in for the earlier than original start time.
Michael Cole came out to Smackdown music at the start of SNME. Then Jerry Lawler followed.
A video aired of Triple H rehabbing his leg. Hunter was cheered. Ashley came out to sit at ringside. The crowd cheered as pryo shot off.
John Cena came out to chorus of boos. More than usual, and Cena seemed a bit taken aback. Then Ashley introduced the Great Khali, with a highlight package on him airing first. Khali actually walked out before his video was done, so he returned to the back and walked out again. Any good menacing giant who doesn't speak English wants to be sure his timing is right for TV.
(1) John Cena vs. The Great Khali. Cena got in early offense, but Khali powered out of the STFU and FU at different times. Khali came back with a chop and a headbutt to score the pin. The crowd turned against Khali as he made his comeback in the match.
Backstage, Khali cut a promo saying, through a translator, that he can beat Cena anywhere and he will again at One Night Stand.
As Cena returned to the back, he was bombarded with chants of "You can't wrestle" and booing.
Vince McMahon, introduced as "The Doctor of Hardcore," came out for an arm wrestling contest against Bobby Lashley. A Lashley video aired including his shaving Vince's head at WrestleMania. The Canadian fans chanted "You screwed Bret" at Vince. He stalled to avoid locking up with Lashley. When he grabbed the mic, it didn't work. Vince finally says he's being replaced by Mark Henry. They lock up. Once Lashley looked to be on the verge of winning, Henry slugged him and they brawled. Henry bear hugged Lashley into the corner, but Lashley explodeed out with a spear. Vince then attacked Lashley with a chair. Vince and Henry celebrated as they returned to the back.
Maria interviewed Edge. He said he isn't the tallest, buggest, or strangest, but he is the greatest. He got a big pop. By this point the arena had filled completely. The start time had been moved up from what was originally announced due to SNME.
Torrie Wilson walked out to ring announce. She introduced Batista, who received a mixed reaction.
(2) Batista & Chris Benoit defeated MVP & Edge. Benoit was announced as being from Atlanta, Ga. in Canada. The crowd went beserk for Edge. Edge and MVP compared their title belts . MVP began against Benoit. Edge tagged in for a huge pop. Edge eventually abandoned MVP after being scared up the ramp by Batista. Benoit hit a flying headbutt for the win on MVP.
(3) Finlay & Hornswaggle beat Boogeyman & Lil Boogie when Finlay kicked Lil Boogey. Lots of comedy spots. Candice Michelle ring announced.
The Extreme Expose dance team performed over a new mat that was stretched over the ring during a break. Half the crowd seemed to empty into the concession halls.
They cut backstage where Lil Boogey chased Finlay backstage. They made their way to the ring. The Extreme Expose team played chicken with the little people. Lil Bogey ran Hornwaggle to the back.
(4) Eugene (dressed as superman) & Doink the Clown & Kane beat Kevin Thorn & Viscera & Umaga. Doink got a huge pop. In the end, Viscera attempted a Love Train on Kane, but Kane moved and chokeslammed Viscera and got the pin. Umaga beat up Eugene and Doink afterward. Lots of comedy. Interesting approach for the NBC special to follow Hornwoggle and Lil Boogey with Doink and Eugene. By this time, it'll be nearly 1 a.m. ET, so the audience level will be down compared to the start of the show for Cena-Khali.
They began to dismantle the SNME set and build the Raw set. A pretty major undertaking.
THE TORCH REACHES MORE COMBAT ENTERTAINMENT FANS THAN ANY OTHER SOURCE
PWTorch editor Wade Keller has covered pro wrestling full time since 1987 starting with the Pro Wrestling Torch print newsletter. PWTorch.com launched in 1999 and the PWTorch Apps launched in 2008.
He has conducted "Torch Talk" insider interviews with Hulk Hogan, The Rock, Steve Austin, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Eric Bischoff, Jesse Ventura, Lou Thesz, Jerry Lawler, Mick Foley, Jim Ross, Paul Heyman, Bruno Sammartino, Goldberg, more.
He has interviewed big-name players in person incluiding Vince McMahon (at WWE Headquarters), Dana White (in Las Vegas), Eric Bischoff (at the first Nitro at Mall of America), Brock Lesnar (after his first UFC win).
He hosted the weekly Pro Wrestling Focus radio show on KFAN in the early 1990s and hosted the Ultimate Insiders DVD series distributed in retail stories internationally in the mid-2000s including interviews filmed in Los Angeles with Vince Russo & Ed Ferrara and Matt & Jeff Hardy. He currently hosts the most listened to pro wrestling audio show in the world, (the PWTorch Livecast, top ranked in iTunes)
REACHING 1 MILLION+ UNIQUE USERS PER MONTH
500 MILLION CLICKS & LISTENS PER YEAR
MILLIONS OF PWTORCH NEWSLETTERS SOLD
PWTorch offers a VIP membership for $10 a month (or less with an annual sub). It includes nearly 25 years worth of archives from our coverage of pro wrestling dating back to PWTorch Newsletters from the late-'80s filled with insider secrets from every era that are available to VIPers in digital PDF format and Keller's radio show from the early 1990s.
Also, new exclusive top-shelf content every day including a new VIP-exclusive weekly 16 page digital magazine-style (PC and iPad compatible) PDF newsletter packed with exclusive articles and news.
The following features come with a VIP membership which tens of thousands of fans worldwide have enjoyed for many years...
-New Digital PWTorch Newsletter every week
-3 New Digital PDF Back Issues from 5, 10, 20 years ago
-Over 60 new VIP Audio Shows each week
-Ad-free access to all PWTorch.com free articles
-VIP Forum access with daily interaction with PWTorch staff and well-informed fellow wrestling fans
-Tons of archived audio and text articles
-Decades of Torch Talk insider interviews in transcript and audio formats with big name stars. **SIGN UP FOR VIP ACCESS HERE**