SPOTLIGHTED PODCAST ALERT (YOUR ARTICLE BEGINS A FEW INCHES DOWN)...
WWE Raw TV News & Notes 5/2
– Raw ended with WWE World Hvt. champion Roman Reigns and A.J. Styles brawling to set up their WWE Title re-match at Extreme Rules.
After a main event six-man tag match, Styles turned down peer pressure from Karl Anderson & Luke Gallows to blast Reigns with a chair. The Usos then blasted Styles, who returned fire. Reigns saw the return fire and went off on Styles, finishing him with a powerbomb through the announce table.
– Raw centered on Stephanie and Shane McMahon running Raw together, with Stephanie playing a nice person trying to get along with Shane. Shane only appeared in the opening segment, while Steph appeared throughout the show.
– Rusev won a #1 contender match to the U.S. Title to get the next title shot against Kalisto.
The bigger story was Ryback not being part of the match. Ryback was included in a pre-show graphic advertising the battle royal participants, but he was not in the match.
Also in the battle royal, Titus O’Neil returned to in-ring action following his suspension. Titus was given a standalone ring introduction, but not factor in the battle royal outcome.
– Chris Jericho and Dean Ambrose continued their feud from Payback. After Stephanie McMahon canceled the Ambrose Asylum, Stephanie brought back Jericho’s Highlight Reel. A brawl broke out with Jericho getting the upper hand after losing to Ambrose at Payback.
– WWE set up a likely four-way Intercontinental Title scenario. Cesaro vs. Kevin Owens in a #1 contender match was cut off by IC champion The Miz. Sami Zayn then got involved and closed the segment holding the IC Title belt.
– With Enzo Amore sidelined with a concussion, Big Cass was given a singles spotlight. Cass then teamed with WWE tag champs New Day to beat The Dudleys and Vaudevillains in an eight-man tag match.
– Chris Jericho’s “Highlight Reel” was announced for Smackdown. Jericho will have Sami Zayn.
– A.J. Styles was announced for ESPNews’s SportsCenter on Tuesday night.