SPOTLIGHTED PODCAST ALERT (YOUR ARTICLE BEGINS A FEW INCHES DOWN)...
WWE “Live in London” Results
September 7, 2016
Report by Paul Jacques, PWTorch correspondent
At the beginning, Women’s champion Charlotte appeared on the screen to say tonight she would be facing Sasha Banks for the Women’s Title.
JoJo came to the ring and welcomed everyone to the show.
(1) WWE tag champions New Day (Kofi Kingston & Big E. w/Xavier Woods) beat The Club (Karl Anderson & Luke Gallows) to retain the WWE Tag Titles. Kofi pinned Anderson with the Big Ending double-team move in 12 minutes.
(2) Neville beat Bo Dallas (w/Curtis Axel). Neville won with the Red Arrow in 8 minutes. Neville was interviewed afterwards and said that even though he was from Newcastle, he is still an Englander and loves to wrestle in his home country.
Sasha Banks then appeared on the screen and vowed to beat Charlotte for the Women’s Title tonight.
(3) Braun Strowman beat Goldust. Strowman choked out Goldust in 4 minutes.
There was a video by JBL congratulating the Saracens rugby team, which was met with loud boos. I’m not a rugby person and I don’t live in London, so not sure why the hatred.
(4) Big Show beat the Shining Stars (Primo & Epico) in a handicap match. Shining Stars did their usual promo before the match, which was met with “Who Are You?” chants. Big Show pinned both with a double chokeslam in 8 minutes.
(5) Cesaro beat Sheamus in the Match #4 of their Best-of-Seven series; Sheamus is now up 3-1. Cesaro won with a roll-up in about 18 minutes. Cesaro seemed to hurt his ankle late in the match. He jogged back up the ramp afterward, so hopefully he is okay. This match was being recorded so it’ll probably be on Raw, WWE Network, and/or YouTube.
(6) Women’s champion Charlotte beat Sasha Banks to retain the Women’s Title. Charlotte worked Sasha’s back for most of the match, which hopefully means it is healed. No crazy moves from either woman, thankfully.
Charlotte won with a roll-up in 10 minutes.
(7) Roman Reigns beat Chris Jericho.Reigns pinned Jericho after a spear in 20 minutes. Before the match. Jericho cut a promo on England to try to get boos, but that didn’t work, as he was cheered throughout the match.
(8) Universal champion Kevin Owens beat Sami Zayn and Seth Rollins in a three-way match to retain the Universal Title. Owens pinned Zayn with the pop-up powerbomb in just under 20 minutes.
OVERALL: Jericho-Reigns was the match of the night. It was also the match that had the best/most fan reaction… Cesaro-Sheamus was too long and, for me, boring. I have no desire to see this go to seven matches… New Day got the show off to a very good start. The whole crowd was doing their opening bit with them… The arena was mostly full, just a few empty seats here and there.