RECOMMENDED FREE NEW PODCAST - RAW POST-SHOW WITH KELLER...
(Search "wade keller" to subscribe in podcast app)
The following report was originally published the years ago on PWTorch.com…
Ring of Honor show results
May 9, 2009
Report by Daniel Chornomaz, PWTorch.com reader
Attendance was 500, which is the smallest crowd I’ve ever seen in Edison. Very few people at the dealer tables. DVDs were buy three, get two free! ROH returns here November 28.
(1) Eddie Kingston beat Ricky Reyes with a spinning back-fist. Eddie needs to belly up to the salad bar. Decent opener. Chris Hero then cut a promo on Kingston. Kingston was pretty over with the crowd.
(2) Brent Albright & Erick Stevens beat Super Smash Brothers (Player Uno & Player Dos) when Albright pinned Dos following a half-nelson suplex. Super Smash Brothers eventually got over with the unconvinced crowd and delivered a fine performance. They got a “please come back” chant. Albright and Stevens worked well together and were very physical.
(3) Chris Hero beat Sonjay Dutt. Hero put the loaded elbow pad on his boot for a kick to the face. Dutt not that over with the crowd, although he got a “thank you Sonjay” chant. Hero has so much more to offer but his gimmick does not suit him well. There were a lot of “Chris is awesome” chants.
(4) Necro Butcher & Delirious beat Claudio Castagnoli & Jimmy Rave. Prince Nana managed Castagnoli and Rave. Nana is very funny and called us New Jersey Swine Flu pigs. The throwing of the toilet paper at Rave has been reinstated. Castagnoli and Rave generated a ton of heel heat and put on a very entertaining match.
— During the intermission there was a free meet and greet with Jay Briscoe, Jerry Lynn, Erick Stevens, Kevin Steen, and Delirious. Bobby Dempsey and ROH president Carey Silkin were also there part of the time.
(5) Kenny King & Rhett Titus beat Sugarfoot Alex Payne & Grizzly Redwood. Redwood had no shoes on. (They were burned by Dirty Ernie Osiris on this week’s ROH Video Wire.) King & Titus are good together and their gimmicks mesh well.
(6) Colt Cabana beat Joey Ryan. First time I’ve seen Ryan who has sort of a gay Rick Rude type gimmick. He was the second wrestler of the night (the first being Titus) to put his hands in his trunks and play with his junk, before trying to shake hands with his opponent. I hope this trend does not continue. Ala Rick Flair, Ryan’s trunks were pulled down by Cabana, so his butt was exposed thru his thong underwear. Colt was doing his usual comedy stuff, but I thought he was not as over as he used to be.
(7) ROH tag team champions Davey Richards & Eddie Edwards beat Bryan Danielson & Kevin Steen to retain the ROH tag titles. Edwards made Danielson tap out. This was the best match of the night. They really went after each other right from the start and Steen went thru a ringside table early on. Richards did a dive outside of the ring and landed in front of me in my third row seat! It was the most incredible move of the night.
(8) ROH champion Jerry Lynn beat Jay Briscoe with a cradle piledriver to retain the ROH Title. Lynn is not that over with the crowd and more fans were rooting for Briscoe. Mark Briscoe was at ringside for the match. Finish caught the crowd by surprise and they were flat for it. Lynn cut a promo after and put over the Briscoes. Just an okay match.