WKPWP - Mailbag - Keller & Mitchell talk Shayna Baszler biting Becky Lynch, Drew McIntyre's rise, Fake Razor & Diesel, more
(Search "wade keller" to subscribe in podcast app or CLICK HERE to subscribe in Apple Podcasts.)
WWE NXT Live Results
February 4, 2016
Report by Kyle Niblett, PWTorch correspondent
Hot crowd for NXT’s first time in Memphis at a real intimate venue. They were selling 50 vintage-looking Memphis-specific match card posters by everyone for $75.
(1) Asuka beat Emma. The crowd loved Asuka.
(2) American Alpha (Jason Jordan & Chad Gable) beat Blake & Murphy with their finisher. Chants included “Armbar City,” and “Save the Gable” (to the New Day beat right before the hot tag). Great match.
(3) Alexa Bliss beat Billie Kay with moonsault finisher. The crowd lost all energy for this match before the bell even rang due to the energy given to first two matches.
(4) Samoa Joe choked out Sami Zayn. Great stuff. Zayn went for helluva kick, but Joe pulled the ref in front. He tumbled to other corner and Zayn tried again, but Joe ducked under Zayn’s leg and applied the Coquina Clutch. There were dueling chants and “Olay” chants.
Post-match, Zayn extended his hand for a handshake and Joe sold shaking it before walking away to boos. “Thank you, Sami” chants followed.
The crowd died after intermission even though everyone worked hard…
(5) NXT tag champions Dash & Dawson beat Johnny Gargano & Tommaso Ciampa in a non-title match. The crowd chanted “How You Doin'” when they realized Enzo & Big Cass weren’t appearing (they weren’t advertised). There were a couple “Johnny Wrestling” chants. The match became sloppy at the end, so they went straight to the finish. The crowd booed after the second time they got lost.
(6) NXT Women’s champion Bayley beat Nia Jax with Bayley-to-belly to retain her title. The champ received a superstar reaction. Some “Hey, we want some Bailey” chants mixed in with some “Whoop that trick” chants. (Memphis is home of Hustle & Flow where Three 6 Mafia won an Oscar for best original song.)
(7) NXT champion Finn Balor beat Baron Corbin with Coup De Grace to retain the NXT Title. During title intros, Balor did the Bullet Club gun gimmick with his hands to Corbin. The crowd immediately chanted “Bullet Club.” Solid match. After the match, Balor grabbed the mic and sang a cover of the famous “Walking in Memphis.” Lyrics went something like this: “Wrestling in Memphis, and I’m heading to the top rope, jumping off the sucker, and putting my boots down Corbin’s throat.” The crowd popped huge for this.
Apollo Crews was advertised, but was not on the card.
Interesting demographics at the show. There were hardcore fans with the chants, the drinking crowd yelling homosexual slurs and cussing, and then families in John Cena hats and little girls with Bayley shirts.