SPOTLIGHTED PODCAST ALERT (YOUR ARTICLE BEGINS A FEW INCHES DOWN)...
WWE HOF News Updates
– Sting announced his retirement from wrestling under the WWE umbrella to conclude his main event speech. (Full Report on Sting’s Retirement)
– John Cena returned to WWE TV as the surprise inductor for Snoop Dogg. Cena was greeted by mainly boos, which he allowed to play out for his return to TV. Cena then gave a brief speech about working with Snoop Dogg through the years.
– Michael Hayes did a full-out Freebirds tribute with Jimmy Garvin. They were joined by the sons of Buddy Roberts and Terry Gordy, then Kevin Von Erich made a surprise appearance talking about Freebirds vs. Von Erichs in Dallas.
– WWE introduced a “Legacy Hall of Fame” category recognizing several legends from 50-100 years ago, including Frank Gotch, George Hackenschmidt, and Mildred Burke.
– All of the main McMahon Family members were in the crowd except for Vince McMahon, who remains backstage during the annual ceremony. Shane McMahon was initially in the middle of the floor not sitting with Triple H, Stephanie, Linda, and other family members. He eventually sat on the front row off-center.
– “Stone Cold” Steve Austin was a frequent reference point for the HOF speeches with Austin as the unofficial ambassador of Texas Wrestling in Dallas.
– During the HOF pre-show, Randy Orton resurfaced during a “red carpet” interview. Orton teased an RKO Outta Nowhere at WrestleMania 32.
– Ryback announced on the HOF pre-show that he will be kicking off WrestleMania in the U.S. Title match against Kalisto.