WWE Raw TV News & Notes 4/11
– Shane McMahon ran Raw for the second week in a row. Shane’s involvement was described as temporary, or “like a substitute teacher.” Right now, WWE is going week-to-week on who is overseeing Raw.
The “regular teachers” Triple H and Stephanie McMahon were not on Raw for the second consecutive week since Hunter lost the WWE World Title to Roman Reigns at WrestleMania 32.
– Raw closed with a situation involving Roman Reigns, Bray Wyatt, and The League of Nations. Reigns and Wyatt were put together as a tag team against The League, who the Wyatts continue to fight.
Reigns and Wyatt won the tag team main event by working together despite the bitter rivalry. The set-up seems to be Bray trying to gain Reigns’s trust for delayed purposes, causing Reigns to be uneasy. WWE closing Raw with this seemingly strange development indicates it will be significant going forward.
– Reigns faces A.J. Styles for the WWE Title at Payback in a singles match. Sami Zayn had a chance to be added to the match, but Styles beat him in a stellar singles match.
– WWE started an eight-team Tag Team #1 contender tournament on Raw. Included was Karl Anderson & Doc Gallows (Luke Gallows) making their long-awaited WWE debut attacking The Usos after they won their tournament match. Anderson & Gallows’s New Japan background was acknowledged by the announcers.
Also on Raw, The Usos beat the Social Outcasts and The Dudleys beat Lucha Dragons to advance to the semi-finals. The other two first round matches – Enzo Amore & Big Cass vs. The Ascension and The Vaudevillians vs. Golden Truth – will take place on this week’s Smackdown. The winning team will be next in line to face New Day for the Tag Titles.
- The Usos beat Social Outcasts
- Golden Truth vs. The Vaudevillians
- Enzo & Big Cass vs. The Ascension
- Dudleys beat Lucha Dragons
– Cesaro is next in line for an Intercontinental Title shot against The Miz. Cesaro beat Kevin Owens in the opening match after Owens complained to Shane about not getting his IC Title re-match from WM32.
– Going into a commercial break, WWE highlighted Shinsuke Nakamura in a basic NXT preview for this week’s episode. The full pre-commercial video package highlighted Nakamura making his Wednesday night NXT TV debut this week.
– Charlotte retained the Women’s Title over Natalya in a title match. Natalya won the match by DQ when Ric Flair pulled the referee out of the ring as Charlotte was tapping out to Natalya. Guest star Dr. Phil was ringside to watch the match after earlier in the show trying to convince Charlotte to stop using her dad to cheat to win.
– Chris Jericho and Dean Ambrose officially started a new feud after brushing by each other on Smackdown. Ambrose interrupted the Highlight Reel and created his own “Ambrose Asylum” show, finishing with Dirty Deeds to Jericho.
– The Miz and Maryse were announced for this week’s SportsCenter segment Tuesday night on ESPNews.