SPOTLIGHTED PODCAST ALERT (YOUR ARTICLE BEGINS A FEW INCHES DOWN)...
Torch Today – Thursday, October 22
– WWE released a video promo from James Storm following his NXT debut on Wednesday’s episode. Storm is essentially doing his “cowboy” gimmick made famous on TNA TV, including his catchphrases.
– NFL player Brennan Williams was released by the New England Patriots this week. Now, he is looking to pursue WWE, according to Yahoo Sports. Williams, a 6’6″ lineman, was drafted by the Houston Texans in 2013 and now will try his hand at Booker T’s wrestling school in Houston hoping to make it to WWE.
– 2015 WWE Hall of Famer Bushwhacker Luke is heading to Great North Wrestling on November 27 in Rockland, Ont., Canada. Luke’s promo for the show can be viewed HERE.
– Bubba Ray talked about the Dudleys returning to WWE in a new interview with Scott Fishman for Channel Guide Magazine. Ray also talked about whether he would be interested in a singles run on WWE TV after breaking out on his own in TNA.
“If WWE wants to do it and they want to give it a shot with me by myself one day, I would listen. Do I think WWE would get the version they got in the past? Probably not, but you never know. We’ll see what happens,” Ray said.
– After winning the NLCS on Wednesday, the New York Mets celebrated with a WWE Title belt and plenty of champagne. The title belt was prominent being hoisted in the air throughout the TV coverage. (Video Report)
– KELLER AUDIO ALERT: PWTorch editor Wade Keller was interviewed at-length about the history of wrestling journalism on the “Sheet Sandwich” podcast. Keller will also be hosting today’s PWTorch Livecast with Bob Backlund at 7:00 p.m. EST at PWTorchLivecast.com.
– For the first time in seemingly months, there is buzz about tonight’s Smackdown TV episode. WWE already revealed why by spoiling their own spoiler earlier in the week. PWTorch columnist Greg Parks has it all covered tonight. (TV Taping SPOILERS) (Non-Spoiler SD Preview)
– The Miz and Paige are set for cable TV appearances on Thursday night. Miz is appearing on MTV’s “Middle of the Night Show,” which airs at 11:00 p.m. EST. Paige is the second featured guest on “Conan,” which also airs at 11:00 p.m. EST on TBS.
– Chikara kicks off a big four-show tour Thursday in Minnesota. (Full Weekend Line-ups)
– WWE NETWORK HIGHLIGHTS: The Network does not have new programming on Thursday. Highlights include Wednesday’s new programming – Table for 3 and “Unfiltered” with Renee Young. Plus, a Monday Night Wars flashback to Raw vs. Nitro in October 1995.
– Shane McMahon is a hot topic this week based on rumors of a potential WWE return ahead of a planned 2016 DVD release. Along those lines, Taz shared some interesting stories on working with Shane in the Tuesday edition of “The Taz Show,” including Shane making the work environment safer for wrestlers. (Read the Full Recap at PWPodcasts.com)
– Dany Garcia, the ex-wife and business partner of “The Rock” Dwayne Johnson, talked in-depth about working with Johnson, their regular meetings about “global domination” in the entertainment industry, and expanding beyond movies to TV with guidance from Vince McMahon.
“We both really enjoyed working in television, the time we spent with the WWE and just the lessons culturally we learned. Vince McMahon was really a mentor. He gave us these philosophies about what the audience needs and how to take care of the audience. And so we went back to television, it was really comfortable for us … And television really allows us to reconnect and get back in the living room. Right now we’re looking at 57 projects and three quarters of them are television,” Garcia told TheWrap.com.
– Fox Sports covered Australian rugby player Daniel Vidot officially heading to WWE’s Performance Center in Florida for a three-day try-out camp. WWE has several female talents from Australia on the NXT roster, and are now looking to expand the male side.