SPOTLIGHTED PODCAST ALERT (YOUR ARTICLE BEGINS A FEW INCHES DOWN)...
TORCH TODAY – Friday, November 27
– Friday is all about a huge day of live wrestling. Ring of Honor kicks off a four-show tour with Preston City Wrestling in the U.K., plus Night 1 of WrestleCade includes the first-ever Global Force Wrestling title defense.
Also, Chris Hero, Alex Shelley, and Johnny Gargano headline AIW’s first of three year-end shows, Great North Wrestling tours Ontario, Canada with Bushwhacker Luke, and there are more shows. (Full Weekend Events Center) (Luke Interview at TheWhig.com)
– Long-time wrestler Tommy Gilbert died at the age of 75 on Thursday, according to his wrestling son Doug Gilbert. Tommy also fathered wrestling star Eddie Gilbert, who died 20 years ago. (Prowrestling.net)
Jim Ross commented on Gilbert in his latest blog at jrsbarbq.com: “Sad to hear of the passing of Tommy Gilbert who was a talented, territory era wrestler from Tennessee and was a really good referee for Bill Watts back in the day. The first time that I met Tommy he was driving a Firebird Trans Am a la Smoky and the Bandit and he resembled Burt Reynolds. RIP Tommy and condolences to your family and friends.”
– Daniel Bryan is resurfacing on Friday. Bryan is scheduled to appear at the Houston Autorama from 6:00 t0 9:00 p.m. at the George R. Brown Convention Center. Event organizers bought commercial time during Monday’s Raw to run a spot advertising Bryan’s appearance.
– Another John Cena interview has trickled out from his Fox TV film shoot for “American Grit.” Cena was interviewed by a host of media while filming in a remote location in the State of Washington. That drew coverage from the Seattle Times, which mainly reported details on the TV show’s format and military cast. There were a few wrestling mentions, mainly the quote reported in the Zap2It.com story last week that Cena believes he’s done all that he can do to attract wrestling fans to WWE, “but I still want to put people in the building.”
– WWNLive affiliate ACW will begin presenting a weekly live wrestling show in Florida. The first show is next Wednesday, December 2 at Tropical Island Breeze at the Gulf View Square Mall in New Port Richey, Fla.
– There are a ton of “Black Friday” sales from all major wrestling promotions. For DVD-specific releases from ROH, PWG, WWNLive, and more promotions, check out Sean Radican’s three-part review series HERE.