SPOTLIGHTED PODCAST ALERT (YOUR ARTICLE BEGINS A FEW INCHES DOWN)...
TORCH TODAY – February 1, 2016
– Brock Lesnar is back on Raw tonight. WWE has seemingly made Lesnar “just another guy” on the roster, put him in a mid-level feud with the Wyatts heading into WrestleMania, and he’ll be the third wheel in the #1 contender match at Fast Lane later this month. Not exactly the presentation of one of WWE’s lone difference-makers. We’ll see if Paul Heyman can make a difference tonight speaking on Lesnar’s behalf.
– John Cena updated his injury recovery progress and noted this week’s top goal in the gym.
This weeks goal, squat with a regular bar. This is very ambitious and will take some work. Time will tell #nevergiveup
— John Cena (@JohnCena) February 1, 2016
– Business is picking up for Jim Ross, who teased a “major announcement” on a new business investment and an announcement on a “non-pro wrestling broadcasting” gig that might be announced this week. Ross also wrote about hot topics in wrestling in his latest blog at jrsbarbq.com.
– Global Force Wrestling announced they will have a presence in Dallas during WrestleMania Weekend. Jeff & Karen Jarrett will represent GFW at the WrestleCon event on April 1 & 2 in Dallas. The founders are slotted for 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. on both days. (WrestleCon Details at WrestleCon.com)
– Ring of Honor has added a Q&A with the Young Bucks to this Saturday’s TV taping in Nashville. The session will take place before the taping at the Municipal Auditorium. ROH’s TV taping will include a big Tag Team gauntlet match for a future ROH Tag Title shot, all champions appearing, and the final rounds of the Top Prospect tournament. (Event Details)
– No surprise here, but the DVD cover for the Royal Rumble PPV will feature Rumble/WWE Title winner Triple H along with Vince and Stephanie McMahon. (Report at WrestlingDVDNetwork.com)
– Kevin Nash drew a good-sized crowd for an autograph appearance in Connecticut over the weekend. Nash was in town filming a movie and stopped by the local First Base Sports store for the session. (Local News Report)
– The popular “Memphis Heat” documentary will be re-shown at the Malco Theater in Memphis on Thursday, March 24. From the event description: “The anniversary and re-release of the film coincides with the release of the soundtrack to Memphis Heat on blood-spattered red vinyl as well as National Sputnik Monroe Day.” (Event Info)
– NOAH ran a big angle at Sunday’s “Great Voyage” show in Yokohama continuing the NOAH vs. Suzuki-Gun (NJPW) faction warfare with Suzuki-Gun getting the upperhand. NOAH then announced event cards for the “Second Navigation” 2016 tour in February. (Sunday Results) (Feb. Cards)
– NFL star Richard Sherman went wild with wrestling moves at the NFL Pro Bowl on Sunday, including trying an RKO Out of Nowhere on Clay Matthews.
Richard Sherman drops an RKO on Clay Matthews: pic.twitter.com/gc82XSQwL1
— Deadspin (@Deadspin) February 1, 2016
– “The Rock” Dwayne Johnson announced another new production project, this one focusing on the annual “Mr. Olympia” bodybuilding contest. Rock’s “Seven Bucks” company will be partnering with AMI to produce “entertaining programming surrounding and leading up to Mr. Olympia,” which is scheduled for September in Las Vegas. “Our goal is to turn this historic weekend into the must see and must attend fitness expo of the world,” Rock said in his announcement.
– WWNLive has released a 10-minute video recap of EVOLVE 53-55 from last weekend, where the first EVOLVE Tag champions were determined.