TORCH TODAY – Tuesday, February 16, 2016
– I’m with PWTorch readers who voted in our weekly poll that Monday’s Raw averaged out to an average show. The first two hours were decent-to-good, then the third hour fell off a cliff. Perhaps it was because the first two hours were actually solid that it made the third hour seem exceptionally poor this week.
– Big Show’s interview with “Stone Cold” Steve Austin on WWE Network after Raw was really fascinating to understand the man behind the Big Show character. WWE has portrayed Show as a spineless goof throughout his career that the audience does not respect him. It’s too bad, as Show could actually mean something, like being in a Raw TV main event this week, if treated with more care.
– At MMATorch.com: Full Recap of superstar Ronda Rousey saying in a TV interview that she contemplated suicide after her shocking loss to Holly Holm. Also, former UFC fighter Rampage Jackson is returning to Bellator.
– At PWPodcasts.com: Full Recaps of the most-recent big podcast episodes from the world of wrestling.
– Mark Henry noted that he will be “okay” after his match against Big E. on Raw, which ended with Big E. scoring a quick pin after Henry appeared to injure his mid-section.
Hey guys I'm ok hurt rib I'll live.
— TheMarkHenry (@TheMarkHenry) February 16, 2016
– King Barrett will reportedly not be renewing his WWE contract when it expires this summer. ProWrestlingSheet reports that Barrett has told WWE management about his decision to move on from the company around June.
Barrett indicated that he would be moving on from WWE in an interview with The Independent U.K. publication in November: “I’m still as passionate about wrestling as I ever was, but I think it’s inevitable that at some point in your career you’ve got to start looking for things outside of wrestling,”
– WWE announcer Jerry Lawler is working on opening a wrestling-themed restaurant in Memphis. Lawler told the Commercial Appeal newspaper that “plans are in the works” for a bar & grill on Beale Street.
– Rapper Wale interviewed Kofi Kingston about the shoes he wears in the ring for an article at Complex.com. Kofi said one of the surprising sneaker aficionados on the WWE roster is Rusev. “Rusev is a big sneakerhead, which is funny because there was a period where he didn’t wear shoes at all on TV. He likes a lot of throwback stuff. The Usos’s shoe game is always on point, too,” Kofi said.
– Bronson Rechsteiner, the son of former WCW tag champion Rick Steiner, won a high school amateur wrestling title in Georgia over the weekend. Bronson won the Class 6A state title in the 220-pound weight class. Also of note is Rick is currently a real estate agent in the Atlanta area. (USA Today High School Sports Report)