SPOTLIGHTED PODCAST ALERT (YOUR ARTICLE BEGINS A FEW INCHES DOWN)...
WWE NXT TV Taping Report
June 24, 2016
Full Sail University in Florida
Report by Josh Parry, PWTorch NXT correspondent
WWE taped more NXT episodes Friday night at Full Sail University. But, first…
Dark Match: Tye Dillinger beat Kai Katana at 4:17.
Episode 1 – July 6 (pre-Cruiserweight tourney Bracketology)
(1) Bayley beat Alexa Bliss in 8:32. Alexa looked really good here. I thought it was a break-out match for her. Bayley needs something to do, though, which leads us to…
Post-match, Bayley called out Nia Jax for injuring her and usurping her spot at Takeover. Nia came out, stared Bayley down, and promptly left.
And, for some reason, Blake and Murphy are making their entrance, back together again. Okie doke.
(2) Blake & Murphy vs. The Hype Bros. (Mojo Rawley & Zack Ryder) was thrown out at 0:22. Rhyno stormed the ring and gored everybody. The crowd freaked out, happy to see Ryhno again. Nice!
(2) NXT Tag Title match – 2/3 Falls between The Revival and Jason Jordan & Chad Gable.
Fall #1 – American Alpha at 17:47. Jordan tapped out Dash to an anklelock while Gable neutralized Dawson with an anklelock on the apron.
Fall #2 – The Revival in 1:24 at 19:07 total. Jordan tapped to Dawson’s leg bar submission hold.
Fall #3 -The Revival in 3:30 at 22:38 total. Revival hit a sick Shatter Machine to Gable on the apron, then rolled him into the ring for the pin by Dawson. Jason was selling the knee at ringside.
Just wow. This was their best match of the series. If that’s Alpha on their way up, that’s how you want to go out. Major props for laying out the timing of the falls appropriately, too. That was refreshing.
End of episode one.
Episode 2 – July 13 (pre-CW tourney premiere)
NXT champion Samoa Joe entered for a promo segment. Joe said he’s out here for a few reasons. Firstly, to witness Shinsuke Nakamura versus Finn Balor. Also to assert that the implications of the match are unjust. Those implications being that the winner qualifies as a contender to his title. The reality is that Joe slayed the demon, and the premise that Finn gets another chance is disrespectful. Joe said another truth is that he is the EMPEROR of strong style, and he warned Shinsuke of what’s to come if he makes it past Finn. … Enter Rhyno. Rhyno threatened to run right through Joe, who dismissed Rhyno and bailed from the ring with a smirk.
(1) Austin Aries squashed Patrick Clark in 1:54. Post-match, No Way Jose stormed the ring and went right after Aries. Refs spilled out to pull them apart and Aries fled the scene.
(2) Andrade ‘Cien’ Almas squashed Angelo Dawkins in 2:42. Almas was really sloppy in this one, and Dawkins is another Full Sail development favorite. It’s a shame that a combination of avoidable things are preventing Andrade from clicking with the audience right now.
(3) NXT Women’s champion Asuka beat Eva Marie in 4:32.
They cut Episode 2 here. It looks like they want to tape Shinsuke vs. Finn last tonight and splice it into this episode. The venue promotion was billing it as the main event of the evening, so it does seem they want to tape it last.
Episode 3 – July 20
(1) NXT champion Samoa Joe beat Rhyno in 5:46. Rhyno tapped to the clutch. Poor Rhyno was blown up pretty bad.
Dasha announced that a limited allotment of Cruiserweight Classic tickets have been made available
American Alpha made their entrance and were jumped by AOP on the stage. AOP entered the ring with Paul Ellering, who had a mic in hand. William Regal came out to help referees get Gable and Jordan to the back. It looked like Jordan legit hit a steel beam on the guardrail pretty hard as he fell off the stage. Ouch.
A rarity, Regal consented for a brawl and released Alpha to the ring. Gable and Jordan stormed the ring and got rid of AOP. It looks like we are on for a match…
(2) Authors of Pain (w/Paul Ellering) beat American Alpha in 6:32. Alpha had an out with the pre-match attack. Hoping this has been blown off and Alphas are free to move up in the draft.
(3) Bayley beat Nia Jax in 13:49 with a top-rope Bayley to Belly. This got really good down the stretch. Definitely my new favorite of their series.
It’s main event time… Here we go…
Main Event: Shinsuke Nakamura beat Finn Balor at 18:08 in a match taped to air July 13. I don’t have enough stars to give. An incredible story of near falls, massive drama, big moves, everything you would expect. I am exhausted!