SPOTLIGHTED PODCAST ALERT (YOUR ARTICLE BEGINS A FEW INCHES DOWN)...
WWE Live Show Results
June 29, 2016
Repprt by Reid Shimizu, PWTorch reader
What a night! After a six-year absence, WWE made its long overdue return to Honolulu. The Blaisdell Arena was sold out and merchandise lines were long. Among those in attendance was UFC featherweight and Hawaii native, Max Holloway.
(1) Titus O’Neil beat Curtis Axel. The match wasn’t anything special, but the wrestling-starved crowd treated the opening match as if it were the main event at WrestleMania. O’Neil won a quick match with the Clash of the Titus.
(2) Baron Corbin pinned Dolph Ziggler. Some stalling from Corbin in the beginning, but once it got going it turned out okay. Back and forth action until Corbin finished it with The End of Days.
(3) The Usos beat The Club (Karl Anderson & Luke Gallows). -No surprise to anyone, the Usos are very over in Hawaii. This was a very good tag match with both sides dishing out their signature moves. The Usos wrapped it up after top rope splash onto Karl Anderson.
(4) NXT Women’s champion Asuka beat Natalya via submission to retain the NXT Women’s Championship. I would say at least half the audience was unfamiliar with Asuka. On the other hand, Natalya got a face pop from the crowd despite her recent heel turn. A good women’s match that had a lot of mat wrestling and submission attempts. Asuka got the win after catching Natalya in the Asuka lock.
(5) WWE tag champions The New Day beat The Vaudevillians (Aiden English & Simon Gotch) to retain the WWE Tag Team Championship. New Day received massive crowd support in this one. Big E. and Xavier Woods got the in-ring duty tonight. Excellent tag match that featured a lot of action and humor spots!
(6) WWE Women’s champion Charlotte defeated Becky Lynch via submission at retain the WWE Women’s Championship. Excellent women’s match. This one was more of a pro wrestling match as opposed to the mat-based Asuka-Natalya match earlier in the night. Both ladies worked hard and put on an entertaining match. Charlotte got the win after locking in the Figure Eight.
(6) Shinsuke Nakamura beat Kevin Owens. This was my favorite match of the night. Owens attacked Nakamura during his ring entrance and mocked Shinsuke’s mannerisms. Owens was hilarious tonight as he jawed with the ring siders while holding Nakamura in a headlock. Both men delivered a really solid match with some big spots they got the crowd to “oooh!” Nakamua won after hitting Owens with the Kinshasa.
(7) WWE World Hvt. champion Dean Ambrose beat A.J. Styles, Seth Rollins, and Chris Jericho in a four-way match to retain the WWE World Heavyweight Championship. A great main event with non-stop action. At one point the three heels decided to gang up on Ambrose, but soon turned on each other. Ambrose got the win after hitting Dirty Deeds on Styles.