SPOTLIGHTED PODCAST ALERT (YOUR ARTICLE BEGINS A FEW INCHES DOWN)...
Super J Cup Final Results
August 21, 2016
– The event is available on-demand via NJPWWorld.com.
(1) BUSHI & Tomato & Gurukun Mask beat David Finlay & Yuma Aoyagi & Eita in a six-man tag opener. BUSHI pinned Finlay for the win. Afterward. Tomato shared his Tomato with Mask and BUSHI, but BUSHI misted Tomato and tried to unmask Mask.
Super J Cup Quarterfinals
(2) Taichi beat Jushin Liger via count-out in a quick match when El Desperado showed up at ringside to prevent Liger from returning to the ring. Liger, incensed, chases off Taichi’s stable with a chair after the match.
(3) IWGP Jr. Hvt. champion KUSHIDA beat Kenoh via submission to the Hoverboard Lock.
(4) Yoshinobu Kanemaru beat Ryusuke Taguchi with a brainbuster suplex.
(5) Matt Sydal (ROH) beat Will Ospreay in a big upset based on Ospreay winning New Japan’s Super Juniors tournament. Sydal hit a reverse huracanrana, then a top-rope Air Bourne for the pin and the win.
This set up the semi-finals of Taichi vs. KUSHIDA and Kanemaru vs. Sydal.
(6) Volador, Jr. & Caristico & Titan beat Ultimo Guerrero & Euforia & Gran Guerrero in a six-man tag CMLL showcase. Volador pinned Guerrero with a top-rope Spanish Fly.
Super J Cup Semi-Finals
(7) KUSHIDA beat Taichi with a roll-up, overcoming Taichi’s heel tactics throughout the match. Taichi’s faction beat down KUSHIDA after the match.
(8) Yoshinobu Kanemaru beat Matt Sydal (ROH) with a spinning brainbuster suplex to advance to the finals to meet KUSHIDA.
NOAH Jr. Hvt. Tag Title match
(9) Daisuke Harada & Atsushi Kotoge beat A.C.H. (ROH) & Taiji Ishimori to retain the Jr. Hvt. Titles. After A.C.H. was knocked out, Taiji took the pin on a bridging German Suplex following a combination superkick and forearm.
IWGP Jr. Hvt. Tag Title match
(10) The Young Bucks (Nick & Matt Jackson) beat Motor City Machineguns (Alex Shelley & Chris Sabin) to retain the Tag Titles. The ROH showcase included a lot of trash-talking. After some close nearfalls for the Guns, the Bucks pinned Sabin to retain the titles. The Bucks followed with a post-match promo calling out The Briscoes for the IWGP World Hvt. Tag Titles.
Super J Cup Finals
(11) KUSHIDA beat Yoshinobu Kanemaru via submission to the Hoverboard Lock to win the tournament. This completed the story of KUSHIDA being the best super junior in Japan, redeeming himself for not making the finals of the Best of Super Jrs. tournament.
Afterward, KUSHIDA was presented with his official Super J Cup jacket and trophy. KUSHIDA’s Time Splitters tag partner Alex Shelley presented KUSHIDA with the jacket. They sat down together in the ring and shared a moment before KUSHIDA cut a promo about what it meant to him to win the tournament. After the promo, everyone joined KUSHIDA in the ring for a photo-op to officially conclude the tournament.