SPOTLIGHTED PODCAST ALERT (YOUR ARTICLE BEGINS A FEW INCHES DOWN)...
WWE NXT TV Taping Report
August 25, 2016
Full Sail University
Report by Kyle N., PWTorch correspondent
This was the first set of tapings after “NXT Takeover: Brooklyn.”
Dark Match: Daria Berenato tapped out Billie Kay with Hell’s Gate submission. Daria worked babyface.
(1) Tye Dillinger pinned Murphy with the fireman’s carry drop on his exposed knee.
Tommaso Ciampa cut a promo about Johnny Gargano’s leg before being ganged up on by The Revival backstage. A brawl broke out and carried over into crowd before hitting the ring. They destroyed him, cut a promo, and then Ciampa made a comeback only to receive their finisher. Tons of fighting spirit by Tommasso.
(2) Steve Cutler pinned Kenneth Crawford. Crawford played babyface after being a heel at all his house show appearances.
(3) No Way Jose pinned Angelo Dawkins.
(4) Liv Morgan pinned Aliyah. New music and tights for the Canadian.
New NXT champion Shinsuke Nakamura cut a promo about the era of strong style has begun.
(5) NXT Women’s champion Asuka made Danielle Camella tap in nine seconds.
(6) TM61 pinned Tony Nese & Ariya Davairi. Nese was over pretty good with the crowd. Best match up to that point in the show.
(7) Ember Moon beat Leah Vaughn with her incredible top-rope finisher. Moon’s entrance will translate well to TV.
(8) Shisnuke Nakamura pinned Steve Cutler with Kinshasha. Samoa Joe did commentary
(9) Austin Aries tapped out Andrade Almas with his finisher.
(10) Oney Lorcan tapped out Tino Sabbatelli with single leg crab.
Samoa Joe hinted at face turn with promo by calling out Nakamura and asking for re-match. Nakamura came out and said yes. Joe left and as Nakamura went up the stage, Joe attacked him. Joe hit a standing rock bottom on the stairs and the ref put the X sign in the air. William Regal and Corey Graves came by and Nakamura was stretchered out.
(11) Liv Morgan beat Rachael Ellering. Afterward, Liv said she has a death wish and wants the title from Asuka.
(12) Hideo Itami beat Drew Gulak with GTS. Super stiff contest. My favorite match of the evening.
(13) The Authors of Pain squashed two unannounced enhancement guys.
(14) Bobby Roode beat No Way Jose. Roode’s entrance is a must-watch – rotating on a spinning circle with the spotlight on him and the crowd singing his song. His reaction rivals anything I’ve seen at Full Sail since I began attending in June. The crowd believes he is a superstar. Regarding his finisher, after Roode’s “meh” Pumphandle finisher in Brooklyn, his new finisher appears to be an elevated DDT where he lifts Jose in the air before driving him down into the mat.