SPOTLIGHTED PODCAST ALERT (YOUR ARTICLE BEGINS A FEW INCHES DOWN)...
WWE SMACKDOWN HOUSE SHOW
OCTOBER 17, 2016
REPORT BY NICOLAS CANNELLA, CORRESPONDENT
WWE came to Laramie for the first time since 2002. Tonight the Smackdown Brand had a live event and it was advertised the last month with a double main event featuring A.J. Styles vs. Dean Ambrose for the World Title and Randy Orton vs. Bray Wyatt.
(1) Dolph Ziggler defeated Tyler Breeze to retain the Intercontinental Championship. Dolph scored the pinfall after hitting a Super Kick. Great opening contest with fast-paced action.
(2) SmackDown Tag Champion Heath Slater & The Hype Bros (w/Mascot Cowboy Joe) defeated Viktor & The Vaudevillains. Slater pinned Simon Gotch after the “Smash Hit” DDT. This was a entertaining six man tag match. Cowboy Joe is the mascot for the Wyoming Cowboys basketball and football teams.
(3) Apollo Crews defeated Curt Hawkins. Crews won with a spin out powerbomb. Solid match up, but afterward Curt Hawkins tells us all we need to face the facts, challenges anyone to come out and face the facts, then “The Demon” Kane’s music hit and he came out to answer the challenge.
(4) Kane defeated Curt Hawkins. Kane won via chokeslam in less than 10 seconds.
Bray Wyatt cut a promo on the video screen about Randy Orton.
(5) Baron Corbin defeated Jack Swagger. Corbin wins via roll up.
(6) Randy Orton defeated Bray Wyatt. Orton attempted an RKO, but Wyatt reversed it into a “Sister Abigail.” Then Orton countered into a roll up and Wyatt kicked out, Finally the Viper hit the RKO out of nowhere for the win. Another great match with Orton being really over with the crowd and doing what he does best. Mostly all the fans had their phones lit up as “fire flies” during Wyatts’s entrance. Afterward, Orton circled around, took pictures, and signed autographs for the fans.
Styles cut a promo on the video screen about his match with Ambrose later in the night and said he is “the face that runs the place.”
(7) Naomi & Natalya defeated Alexa Bliss & Carmella. Naomi pinned Alexa for the win. Towards the end of the match Naomi tried to tag in Natalya, but since Natty is still playing her heel role, she stepped off the apron and walked to the back. Afterwards Naomi danced.
(8) American Alpha defeated The Usos. Alpha gets the win with a Grand Amplitude on Jimmy. Solid tag team match.
(9) A.J. Styles defeated Dean Ambrose to retain the WWE World Championship. Ambrose almost had the match won, but A.J. hit him with a low blow and Styles Clash for the finish. Great performances by both men as always. The match went about 20 minutes with plenty of action and near falls. Afterwards Styles grabbed the mic and said, “I’m the face that runs the place, the champ that runs the camp, and still the WWE World Champion!” Ambrose then delivered a Dirty Deeds on A.J. to send the crowd home happy.
Styles (mixed reaction)
Wyatt (ring entrance)
Hype Bros and Slater
MOST HEEL HEAT
Wyatt (as he taunted the crowd)
Styles (mixed reaction)
Vaudevillains and Viktor
Natty (when she walked out on Naomi)
FINAL THOUGHTS: All in all great show and the auditorium was about a quarter full tonight. No return date was announced. WWE comes to Wyoming every 5-7 years. Last year there was a live event in Casper which was headlined by Reigns vs.Ambrose beat The Wyatt Family. Next in 2008 they came to Cheyenne and that was main evented by Edge beat Big Show via DQ. In 2002, the last time they were here in Laramie, WWE headlined with Kane beating Triple H and Chris Jericho beating Ric Flair. In 1999 there was a WCW Saturday Night Taping in Casper and Chris Benoit beat Psychosis to retain U.S. Title. In 1998 in Casper, a WCWThunder taping was headlined by Sting & Lex Luger & Konnan beating Scott Hall & Curt Hennig & Brian Adams. In 1996 the first ever event held in Wyoming was in Casper and it was a Monday Nitro with Sting & Lex Luger going to a No Contest with The Outsiders and Ric Flair beating “Macho Man” Randy Savage.