SPOTLIGHTED PODCAST ALERT (YOUR ARTICLE BEGINS A FEW INCHES DOWN)...
WWE LIVE EVENT – RAW BRAND
FEBRUARY 3, 2017
REPORT BY D. BOTELHO, PWTORCH CORRESPONDENT
(1) The New Day defeated The Shining Stars & Titus O’Neil in a six-man tag opener.
(2) Neville defeated Cedric Alexander via submission to retain the Cruiserweight Title. Fast-paced match with a lot of near-falls and reversals. Neville is turning into an excellent heel, full of attitude and swagger.
(3) Golden Truth & Sin Cara defeated Curtis Axel & Bo Dallas & Jinder Mahal in a semi-squash match. It took longer for R-Truth to walk around singing the “What’s Up?” theme song before the match than the actual match did.
(4) Braun Strowman pinned Sami Zayn. Zayn made Strowman chase him around in and out of the ring for a bit and managed to put up a little offense, but Strowman made short work of him once he got hold of him.
(5) Big Cass (w/Enzo Amore) defeated Rusev (w/Lana). Lana comes out in a short, sequined red dress with thigh-high boots, and the crowd was whistling and cheering for her but quickly turned after her pre-match spiel about what a dump Broomfield is. She’s very good at generating heat. Back and forth match which turned when Lana climbed on the apron to distract the ref, ultimately grabbing him and tearing his shirt. Ref threw her out of the match and, as she was stomping to the back, Cass took advantage of the distracted Rusev and pinned him.
(6) Charlotte defeated Bayley via DQ to retain the Women’s Title. Match was very short, with Dana Brooke running in to interfere and get Charlotte disqualified. As they were both beating Bayley down, Alicia Fox ran in to even things up, followed moments later by Nia Jax, and finally, to the biggest pop of the night, Sasha Banks. Sasha came down with a crutch and heavily taped knee, but didn’t really do much to sell the injury they’ve been playing up on TV since she was running at top speed. After chasing off the heels, Bayley got on the mic and challenged them to a six-women tag.
(6b) Bayley & Sasha Banks & Alicia Fox beat Charlotte & Nia Jax & Dana Brooke. Short but decent match ending with Sasha and Fox brawling with Jax and Brooke outside the ring long enough for Bayley to hit the Bayley-to-Belly on Charlotte for the win.
(7) Luke Gallows & Karl Anderson defeated Cesaro & Sheamus in a tag team title defense. The Club kept Cesaro in the ring most of the time, and the ref missed several tag outs due to their distractions. Cesaro finally made the hot tag and Sheamus cleaned house, but while he was on the outside with Gallows, Anderson got in an eye-gouge to Cesaro behind the ref’s back and rolled him up while holding his tights for the pin.
-Seth Rollins was advertised for the main event against Kevin Owens, but obviously out injured. KO comes out and cuts an excellent promo, running down Broomfield as a total dump (insisting on calling it “Bloomington”), and making fun of Rollins for not being there because “he got a boo-boo on his leg.” He then says since Rollins was a no-show, whomever they replaced him with tonight would be in a non-title match, although he goes on to say Mick Foley was declaring it to be a Street Fight Match. KO said no matter who the replacement was, he was going to prove to everybody he was the man, etc., but got cut off when Big Show’s music came up.
(8) The Big Show pinned Kevin Owens. Good comedy with Owens continually sliding out of the ring to avoid Big Show, and having to stand on the second rope to be tall enough to do a knuckle lock, but eventually they got going. Several table spots in the match, including Show chokeslamming Owens from the apron onto one set up on the floor. Match eventually ended when Owens got a table inside the ring, but Show slammed him through it and pinned him. Decent main event, considering Roman Regins was initially supposed to headline, then Rollins, and finally down to the third replacement.
NOW CHECK OUT THIS RECENT REPORT: 1/30 WWE In Hidalgo, Tex.: Cena defends against Corbin and Styles, Dean vs. Miz, Orton & Bray vs. Alpha, Bliss vs. Lynch
Please send any news tips and results to: email@example.com. For instance, let us know if you hear a pro wrestling reference on a popular talk show, see a pro wrestling related Tweet or Instagram from celebrity, hear an ad for matches advertised for an upcoming WWE event, or anything else pro wrestling related that’d be of interest to our readers.
If you attend a live event, please send results. We don’t set up correspondents ahead of time and count on readers like you to send an email with a report on live events you attend – not just WWE, but also ROH, NXT, international groups. and anything else.