The following is the latest in a new series of weekly in-depth articles exclusive to PWTorch which will help put in perspective major wrestling promotions with a weekly overview, looking at news and roster developments, results, future line-ups, social media activity, key interviews, plus a timely commentary at the end. We will be featuring similar features on other promotions each week and each will be updated weekly.
•Top Stories of the Week
- Impact Wrestling’s next pay-per-view will be Lockdown and the event will take place at the Rebel Entertainment Complex, in Toronto, Canada. We know the PPV will take place in April, but as of now, an official date is unknown. LINK
- Earlier this week, Impact Wrestling Executive Vice President, Ed Nordholm, revealed that Impact Wrestling plans on holding four pay-per-views in 2019. LINK
- Former X-Divison champion, Matt Sydal, will undergo surgery on his knee next week. LINK
•Live Event Results
1/11/2019 – IMPACT WRESTLING TV TAPINGS
Mexico City, Mex. At Frontón México
1/12/2019 – IMPACT WRESTLING TV TAPINGS
Mexico City, Mex. At Frontón México
•Upcoming Major Show Line-up: Lockdown in Toronto
1/25/2019 – Battle of Brooklyn, St. Pats CYO Sports, Brooklyn, N.Y.
1/26/2019 – One Night Only: New Beginnings, Holy Family Academy, Hazleton, Pa.
2/2/2019 – Brace for Impact, London Music Hall, London, Ont.
2/15/2019 – Impact Live, Sam’s Town Casino, Las Vegas, Nev.
2/16/2019 – Impact Live, Sam’s Town Casino, Las Vegas, Nev.
2/17/2019 – Impact Live, Sam’s Town Casino, Las Vegas, Nev.
3/22/2019 – Impact Tapings, St. Clair College, Windsor, Ont.
3/23/2019 – Impact Tapings, St. Clair College, Windsor, Ont.
4/4/2019 – Culture Clash 2019, 9112 144th Place, Queens, N.Y.
•Latest TV Highlights: (1/18 Impact Wrestling)
Impact Wrestling from Jan. 18, 2019, from The Asylum, in Nashville, Tenn. Aired on Pursuit/Twitch.tv at 10 p.m. EST.
Announcers: Josh Matthews and Don Callis.
(1) KM (w/ Fallah Bahh) vs. Caleb Konley ended in a no contest.
-Brian Cage interrupted the match and beat up everyone in the ring including referee Johnny Bravo. Cage called out Johnny Impact and said all of this is Impact’s fault. Impact came out but was eventually attacked from behind by Moose and Killer Kross. Cage was then beaten up by Kross and Moose which set up a match later in the show.
(2) Ethan Page defeated Eddie Edwards via disqualification. (Eli Drake was on commentary)
-After the match, Drake called out Edwards saying after a few more beers he will look like Tommy Dreamer. He tried to convince Edwards to return to an in-ring technician and to drop the hardcore wrestling style.
-A video package aired of the Rascalz.
(3) Jordynne Grace (w/ Kiera Hogan) defeated Dark Allie (w/ Su Yung)
-After the match, the lights went out and when the lights came back on Rosemary was standing in the ring. Allie then nervously ran away.
(4) Brian Cage defeated Moose
-Backstage, Tessa Blanchard brawled with Gail Kim.
(5) Rich Swann (c) defeated Trey – X Division Championship match.
-After the match, oVe came to the ring and Sami Callihan offered Swann a spot in oVe. LAX interrupted them setting up the main event.
(6) LAX defeated oVe
•LATEST PWTORCH LIVECAST COVERING IMPACT
Mike McMahon and Andrew Soucek discuss AEW’s launch and the impact it will have on Impact Wrestling. They discuss potential AEW targets, as well as how the formation of the new promotion could affect Impact, MLW, Lucha Underground, and the NWA. They also discuss the insane scenario where you can’t watch Impact Wrestling on-demand on Twitch.
•Impact in the Media
- This week, Tessa Blanchard was a guest on the Jim Ross Report, hosted by Jim Ross. Blanchard spoke about her stunt role in Fighting with my Family, W.O.W, Impact, and her current role on the independent circuit. LINK
- Jordynne Grace was interviewed this week by HairyWrestling. Grace spoke about how she was offered an Impact contract through her Twitter DM’s, Her books about DM’s, and what she’s looking forward too in 2019. LINK
- Gail Kim was on the media call this week for Impact Wrestling. Kim mentioned that former knockout Taryn Terrell is wanting to make a return to Impact. She also said when WWE announced women’s tag team titles, there were fans of Impact wanting to bring back the Knockouts tag team titles. Kim said the entire knockout’s division would benefit if they decided to reintroduce the titles. LINK
•Social Media Scene
NEXT FRIDAY on @PursuitChannel and @Twitch – IMPACT is headed to Mexico!@TheRealMorrison vs. @realKILLERkross for the IMPACT World Championship!@TheTayaValkyrie returns@GottaGetSwann vs. El Hijo Del Vikingo@HakimZane and @TrueRajSingh vs. @zachary_wentz and @DezmondXavier pic.twitter.com/x34SLpE9Iu
— IMPACT (@IMPACTWRESTLING) January 19, 2019
Oh boy https://t.co/daqgAJFPMG
— Eli Drake (@TheEliDrake) January 19, 2019
— Brian Cage (@MrGMSI_BCage) January 19, 2019
The past two episodes of Impact have been the two best episodes I’ve seen since Scott D’Amore and Don Callis took creative control. On Friday’s episode, the final three matches were all great, and not once was I bored during the episode.
Yeah, the undead realm program with Dark Allie and Su Yung isn’t my thing, but the match between Dark Allie and Jordynne Grace was really enjoyable. Rosemary has really freshened up this program and, in my opinion, has made it somewhat watchable. Also, I really like the way Killer Kross is being presented as a major star. Hopefully, they don’t immediately feed him to Johnny Impact as most – if not all – fans would react favorably to Kross.
Unfortunately, hardly anyone is watching these shows, and Impact now has less buzz than Major League Wrestling. Ed Nordholm did announce this week that Impact will run four pay-per-views this year, with Homecoming being the first. It was reported earlier this week that Lockdown would be returning in April, which leaves Slammiversary in June and Bound for Glory in October.
I highly encourage everyone to give Impact a chance after these two weeks of good television. If you don’t have Pursuit, you can watch it free on Twitch.TV every Friday at 10 pm ET. But you do have to watch it live on Twitch as Impact doesn’t provide a VOD option. That is one gripe I do have with Impact at the moment, but hopefully, this will be changed in the future.
NOW CHECK OUT OTHER WEEKLY OVERVIEWS HERE.
OR JUMP TO LAST WEEK’S IMPACT OVERVIEW: WEEKLY OVERVIEW – IMPACT WRESTLING (thru 1/12): Homecoming Preview! Top stories of week, major show lineups, live event results, schedule of live events, noteworthy social media posts, more