KELLER & MARTIN FLAGSHIP (11/28)
(Search "wade keller" to subscribe in podcast app)
TORCH TODAY – Monday, December 21, 2015
– The format of tonight’s Raw allows for different interactions to take place that normally would not take place on an episode of Raw or Smackdown. Things like Shawn Michaels reluctantly awarding Daniel Bryan the “Superstar of the Year” Award two years ago after costing D-Bryan the WWE World Title. WWE will look to take advantage of these situations to advance feuds heading into 2016. Plus, if all else fails, they have an easy pop-culture tie-in after Steve Harvey announced the wrong winner of Miss Universe last night.
– WWE NETWORK SCHEDULE: The Raw pre-show will carry the Slammys theme at 7:30 p.m. EST. WWE is advertising four awards named on the pre-show. After Raw is over, this week’s Breaking Ground episode features Sami Zayn and Scott Hall. Throughout the day, WWE is airing the 1992 Royal Rumble.
– Jim Ross covered several topics in his latest, informative blog at jrsbarbq.com. Ross talked about introducing a ranking system to avoid cold TV matches, eye-rolling finishes turning off wrestling fans, upcoming podcast interviews, and why there is not a U.S. PPV broadcast of the January 4 Tokyo Dome show.
“As best that I know it was TV Asahi that pulled the plug on presenting Wrestle Kingdom 10 on North American, U.K., etc. PPV of NJPW’s Tokyo Dome event. Kevin Kelly, Matt Striker, and Yoshi Tatsu will provide the English commentary for New Japan World which is NJPW’s digital platform that is akin to the WWE Network,” Ross wrote. “Also, the PPV numbers outside Japan were above our goals and the show made a profit outside Japan specifically in North America and the UK. No one does pro wrestling better on a consistent basis than NJPW that airs every Friday night on AXS TV.”
– John Cena set a new personal best squat record over the weekend. Video of the record is also notable for Cena sporting a “Tapout” shirt as WWE continues their product-placement initiative. (Video)
– ECWA announced a big name for their annual Super 8 tournament – TNA tag champion Davey Richards. Richards is the second entrant along with Jason Kincaid for the big show on January 23 in Woodbury Heights, N.J. (Full Event Info)
– Midwest All Pro, the promotion run by former WWE star Eugene (Nick Dinsmore) has announced Carlito, Eugene, and one of the Four Horsewomen Shayna Baszler for their next show on Friday, January 22 in Sioux Falls, S.D. (Event Info)
– “The Rock” Dwayne Johnson posted a long Instagram message about holding his newborn daughter, who was born premature.