WWE “NXT Takeover: Brooklyn” 8/20 News & Notes
– Shinsuke Nakamura captured the NXT Title from Samoa Joe in the main event of the WWE Network special, ending Joe’s four-month title reign. (Full Story)
– Asuka retained the NXT Women’s Title over Bayley, who sold a farewell to NXT after the match. Sasha Banks and Becky Lynch, plus Charlotte, were ringside for the match.
– The Revival retained the NXT Tag Titles against Tommaso Ciampa & Johnny Gargano. Ciampa & Gargano had a false three count leading to the finish, setting up a potential re-match.
– Joe was unsuccessful in the main event, but fellow TNA alums Bobby Roode and Austin Aries were victorious in singles action.
Aries won the opening match against No Way Jose, but Hideo Itami made a dramatic post-match appearance to take out Aries with the GTS.
– Ember Moon (Athena) made her NXT TV debut with a singles victory over Billie Kay in women’s action.
– Ric Flair was shown in the crowd after the first match. Mick Foley and Noelle were later shown in the crowd.
– Kota Ibushi led a contingent of Cruiserweight Tournament representatives at the show. Also present were Noam Dar, Rich Swann, and Brian Kendrick.
– WWE announced a two-week NXT tour of Australia and New Zealand running December 5-15.
- 12/5 – Auckland, N.Z. – The Trusts Arena
- 12/6 – Wellington, N.Z. – TBS Bank Arena
- 12/8 – Melbourne, Aus. – Margaret Court
- 12/10 – Newcastle, Aus. – Newcastle Entertainment Centre
- 12/11 – Gold Coast, Aus. – Gold Coast convention Centre
- 12/13 – Sydney, Aus. – Qudos Bank Arena
- 12/14 – Canberra, Aus. – AIS Arena
- 12/15 – Perth, Aus. – HBF Stadium
(1) Austin Aries beat No Way Jose. … (2) Ember Moon beat Billie Kay. … (3) Bobby Roode beat Andrade “Cien” Almas. … (4) The Revival beat Tommaso Ciampa & Johnny Gargano to retain the NXT Tag Titles. … (5) Asuka beat Bayley to retain the NXT Women’s Title. … (6) Shinsuke Nakamura beat Samoa Joe to capture the NXT Title.
Pre-Show NXT SPOILER Results
(1) Tye Dillinger beat Blake.
(2) Authors of Pain (w/Paul Ellering) beat TM61.