SPOTLIGHTED PODCAST ALERT (YOUR ARTICLE BEGINS A FEW INCHES DOWN)...
WWE Summerslam PPV News & Notes 8/21
– In the Summerslam main event, Brock Lesnar beat Randy Orton via TKO after opening up Orton with massive forearm strikes. Orton bled heavily, drawing out ringside medics and referees to sell the attack and call off the match.
Smackdown GM Shane McMahon then came out to the ring to confront Raw’s Lesnar and defend Smackdown’s Orton. Shane ended up taking an F5 from Lesnar. Bill Goldberg did not make an appearance.
– Finn Balor became the first WWE Universal champion by defeating Seth Rollins.
– Dean Ambrose retained the WWE Title over Dolph Ziggler.
– A.J. Styles beat John Cena in a classic 23-minute match placed at the top of the second hour (fourth hour overall). The match was the peak of the show.
– Rusev vs. Roman Reigns for the U.S. Title did not happen. Rusev attacked Reigns before the match, then Reigns returned fire and had to be restrained by refs. The match, which was placed in the semi-main event spot, was called off.
– Charlotte re-captured the Women’s Title from Sasha Banks, sending Sasha to the injury list after dropping the title.
– In the other title matches, The Miz retained the Intercontinental Title against Apollo Crews. Plus, New Day retained the WWE Tag Titles when they were DQ’ed against The Club. Guest star Jon Stewart got involved in the match to help New Day not lose.
– In Match #1 of a Best-of-Seven series, Sheamus pinned Cesaro on the pre-show.
– Nikki Bella returned to a WWE ring after recovering from neck injury. Nikki replaced Eva Marie on the heel women’s trio and won the match for her team.
Leave a Reply