KELLER & MARTIN FLAGSHIP (11/28)
(Search "wade keller" to subscribe in podcast app)
WWE SMACKDOWN LIVE EVENT
OCTOBER 24, 2016
REPORT BY NICHOLAS CANNELLA
WWE returned to Dubuque tonight for the first time since 2009. The card advertised featured A.J. Styles vs. Dean Ambrose for the World Title and originally Randy Orton vs. Bray Wyatt. Two weeks ago it was updated with Kane vs. Bray Wyatt. The lineup through Ticketmaster’s email had Apollo Crews vs. The Miz for the IC Title but obviously Ziggler is the IC Champ now. So here’s what happened…
(1) Apollo Crews defeated The Miz (w/Maryse). Crews won with a Spin Out Power Bomb in a good opening contest. Lots of stalling by Miz before the match. Maryse was ejected mid-match for trying to get involved.
(2) The Hype Bros. & American Alpha defeated The Vaudevillains & The Ascension in a eight-man tag match. Jason Jordan set Chad Gable up with the Grand Amplitude on Simon Gotch for the win. Good tag team action.
Bray Wyatt cut a promo on the video screen about Kane.
(3) Smackdown Woman’s Champion Becky Lynch & Naomi defeated Natalya & Alexa Bliss & Carmella in a two-on-three Handicap Match. Becky made Natty tap out to the Disarm-Her. Good work by all five women and Becky returned to action this weekend at the live events.
(4) Kane defeated Bray Wyatt (w/Luke Harper). Wyatt attempted Sister Abigail but Kane countered it into a chokeslam for the win. Good typical big man match as usual by both men. The fans lit up the phones as “fireflies” when Wyatt made his ring entrance. Kane was over as well.
(5) Kalisto defeated Tyler Breeze. Kalisto wins with the Salida Del Sol finisher. Good high-flying match. Kalisto made his return as well this weekend at the live events.
Styles cut a promo on the video screen about his match with Ambrose and stated he “is the face that runs the place and the champ that runs the camp.”
(6) Heath Slater & Rhyno defeated “The Urban” Usos to retain the SmackDown Tag Titles. Rhyno pinned Jimmy after hitting the Gore. Slater & Rhyno came out to a good reaction while The Usos received heel heat.
(7) Baron Corbin defeated Jack Swagger. Corbin won via roll up. Swagger had the fans chanting “We The People.”
(8) A.J. Styles defeated Dean Ambrose to retain the WWE World Championship. Styles tried to leave with the title but Dean stopped him. The ref took the belt out. Then Styles shoved Ambrose into the exposed turnbuckle and pinned him with a roll up. Afterward, Styles grabbed the mic and stated he “is the face that runs place and still the WWE World Champion!” Then he continued to rip the crowd. He ripped up a kids sign at ringside and Ambrose hit him with the Dirty Deeds to send the crowd home happy. Great performances by both men as always with Styles playing his great heel Role and Ambrose doing what he does best as the fan favorite.
FINAL THOUGHTS: Overall great show with a hot crowd all night and The Five Flags Center was near full. WWE doesn’t come to Dubuque very often. The last time was for a Raw house show where John Cena beat Randy Orton via DQ in the main event. Then in 2008 they came to Dubuque for a Smackdown/ECW house show headlined by Batista & Kane beating Big Show & Edge.
Styles (mixed reaction)
Wyatt (when he came out)
Kalisto (“Lucha Lucha” chants)
MOST HEEL HEAT:
Wyatt (when he taunted the crowd)
Styles (when he ripped the kids sign up)
NOW CHECK OUT THE PREVIOUS WWE LIVE EVENT REPORT: 10/21 WWE in Hammond, Ind.: Rollins vs. Owens, Sasha vs. Charlotte, Reigns vs. Rusev, plus Bayley, New Day, Braun
If you attend a live event, you are not just invited, but also encouraged to send us a report including estimated attendance. Send to firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks!