WKPWP - Mailbag - Keller & Fann talk WrestleMania line-up
(Search "wade keller" to subscribe in podcast app or CLICK HERE to subscribe in Apple Podcasts.)
The following is the latest in a new series of weekly in-depth articles exclusive to PWTorch which will help put in perspective major wrestling promotions with a weekly overview, looking at news and roster developments, results, future line-ups, social media activity, key interviews, plus a timely commentary at the end. We will be featuring similar features on other promotions each week and each will be updated weekly.
•Top Stories of the Week
- This Saturday is the day. G1 Supercard is at 7:30 at Madison Square Garden. A lot of words can, and will be written about the event and the financial metrics that happen around this event. Has ROH done enough to maximize this moment? Has New Japan done enough to make this a landmark event as a part of their expansion into the North American market.
- The pre-show of the show will air live on ROH’s facebook page, as well as FITE, New Japan World, as well as the PPV feed if you buy the PPV.
- The pre-show will include the Honor Rumble as well as a newly added 6-Woman tag match. Check out those details, as well as the full card below.
•Live Event Results
ROH Road to G1 Supercard
March 31, 2019
Baltimore, MD At UMBC Event Center
- Rush defeated Tracy WIlliams at 12:13
- Shinobi Shadow Squad (Cheeseburger, Eli Isom, and Ryan Nova) defeated Colin Delaney & Coast 2 Coast (LSG and Shaheem Ali) at 11:39
- Mark Haskins defeated Silas Young at 18:07
- Kris Stadlander & Tasha Steelz defeated Sumie Sakai and Jenny Rose & Gabby Ortiz and Krissa Rivera at 8:42
- Villain Enterprises (PCO & Brody King) won via disqualification against The Briscoes (Mark and Jay Briscoe) at 14:16
- Kenny King defeated PJ Black at 12:57
- Marty Scurll defeated Shane Taylor at 13:11 to keep his title opportunity at the ROH World Championship at G1 Supercard.
- Jay Lethal and Jeff Cobb defeated The Kingdom (TK O’Ryan and Vinny Marseglia) & Lifeblood (Juice Robinson and Bandido) at 16:12
Please click HERE for Harley R. Pageot’s full review.
•Upcoming Major Show: G1 Supercard PPV
G1 Supercard PPV
4/6/19 at 7:30pm
New York, NY at Madison Square Garden
- Jay White (c) vs. Kazuchika Okada for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship
- Guerrillas of Destiny (Tama Tonga and Tanga Loa) (c) vs. Villain Enterprises (PCO and Brody King) (c) vs. Los Ingobernables de Japón (Evil and Sanada) vs. The Briscoes (Jay and Mark Briscoe) in a winner take all match for the ROH and IWGP Heavyweight Tag-Team Championships.
- Taiji Ishimori (c) vs. Dragon Lee vs. Bandido for the IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Championship
- Honor Rumble (pre-show)
- Kagetsu, Jenny Rose, and Hazuki vs. Hana Kimura, Stella Grey, and Sumie Sakai (pre-show)
- Jay Lethal (c) vs. Matt Taven vs. Marty Scurll in a ladder match for the ROH World Championship
- Will Ospreay vs. Jeff Cobb in a title for title match.
- Bully Ray vs. Juice Robinson in a New York Street Fight
- Rush vs. Dalton Castle
- Mayu Iwatani (c) vs. Kelly Klein for the WOH World TitleZack Sabre Jr. (c) vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi for The RevPro British Heavyweight Championship
- Tetsuya Naito (c) vs. Kota Ibushi for the IWGP Intercontinental Championship
- G1 Supercard (Pay-Per-View Event) 4/6/19 in New york, N.Y. at Madison Square Garden.
- Steel City Excellence (Honor Club Event) 4/13/19 in Pittsburgh, PA at Stage AE
- Masters of the Craft (Honor Club Event) 4/14/19 in Columbus, Ohio at Express live
- The Crockett Cup (Honor Club Event) 4/27/19 in Concord, NC at Cabarrus Arena
- ROH War of the Worlds (Honor Club Event) 5/8/19 in Buffalo, NY at Buffalo Riverworks
- ROH War of the Worlds (Honor Club Event) 5/9/19 in Toronto, ON Canada at Ted Reeve Arena
- ROH War of the Worlds (Honor Club Event) 5/11/19 in Grand Rapids, MI at Deltaplex
- ROH War of the Worlds (Honor Club Event) 5/12/19 in Chicago, IL at The Odeum In Villa Park
- ROH State of the Art (Honor Club Event) 6/1/19 in Kent, WA at Showare Center
- ROH State of the Art (Honor Club Event) 6/2/19 in Portland, OR at Viking Pavilion
All current live events are located on rohwrestling.com
•Latest TV Highlights: 3/31/19 ROH Wrestling
ROH TV Results
March 31th, 2019
Las Vegas, NV at Sam’s Town
Airing on Sinclair Networks and rohwrestling.com
- Rush defeated Mark Haskins at 10:30
- A video package about the ROH Tag-Team Title is shown.
- A segment setting up the ROH main event at G1 Supercard is up next. This is literally a week before the event is happening, see more in my closing comment section.
- Jeff Cobb talks about his upcoming match against Will Ospreay at G1 Supercard.
- A recap of the Mayu Iwatani and Kelly Klein feud is show to set up the story for their match at G1SC.
- Villain Enterprises (Marty Scurll, PCO, and Brody King) defeated The Kingdom (Matt Taven, TK O’Ryan, and Vinny Marseglia) (c) at 15:51 to become the New ROH Six-Man Tag-Team Champions
Click HERE to read our full report.
•LATEST “TALKING HONOR” PWTORCH LIVECAST COVERING ROH
“Jeff Cobb.” This week, Harley R. Pageot and Emily Fear talk to your ROH World Television Champion Jeff Cobb about goals in ROH and NJPW and looking ahead to the G1 Supercard. Plus, they give their in-depth predictions on the full G1 Supercard lineup and discuss the Road to G1 Supercard: Baltimore show from this past Sunday and weekly TV including the news of Tenille Dashwood departing Women of Honor.
-On Apple Podcasts HERE
-Or search “PWTorch” or “Pro Wrestling Torch” on your podcast app of choice
•Social Media Scene
Below is this week’s round-up of social media posts from ROH personalities.
I’d be fine with more #vinnysays
Real conversation just now
Vinny *reading dessert menu*: What is Napoleon?
Me: You mean Neapolitan?
Vinny: Yeah isn’t that the one with the pink, chocolate and white ice cream?
Me: Yes it’s called Neapolitan
— Cheeseburjer (チーバー) (@CheeseburgerROH) April 3, 2019
From personal experience, the ring light is a game changer.
Todd is a very underrated Twitter Follow
150 games played of Tetris 99. 7 wins, one with 13 knockouts.
— Todd Sinclair (@sinclairtodd) April 2, 2019
In this week’s television recap, I noted to come here to read my opinion on the build to the ROH main event at G1 Supercard. Using the word “build” is being generous; this match was announced the day after the 17th anniversary show. This makes sense to me, as they taped TV the next day.
But, the fact that this was not used until the episode that happens literally days before the biggest show in company history is completely unacceptable. I try to sit back and have a clear head in my criticism of ROH. I understand that they don’t do live TV, that they have little to no budget beyond what they currently spend on talent, that they have a built-in TV deal, like WCW in the ’90s.
But, the fact that the build of this match was filmed on 3/16, and not shown until 3/31 on TV, makes me think that this company will never be able (with its current direction) to build the story to great matches.
Will ROH continue to have great matches? Yes, absolutely. The workrate at G1 Supercard will crush the workrate at WrestleMania, but these matches will not have great stories and builds to go along with them. We will never get a Stone Cold vs. Mr. McMahon, no Hogan turning Heel, No Mega Powers Exploding.
This is unfair and disappointing for the talent of ROH. If I were a talent that is not currently signed to ROH or has a contract coming up, I would really think hard about ROH being the best company for my Wrestling Character, not just my bank account.
Tyler has been a wrestling fan for 20 years. He’s from Columbus, Ohio. Check him out on Twitter @ringoftyler and check out his podcast @tandbwrestling.
NOW CHECK OUT OTHER WEEKLY OVERVIEWS HERE.