WEEKLY OVERVIEW – WWE (thru 8/1): Top stories of week, major show lineups, live event results, schedule of live events, noteworthy social media posts, more

By Zach Graham, PWTorch Contributor

Former champion reportedly returning to WWE

SPOTLIGHTED PODCAST ALERT (YOUR ARTICLE BEGINS A FEW INCHES DOWN)...

The following is the latest in a new series of weekly in-depth articles exclusive to PWTorch which will help put in perspective major wrestling promotions with a weekly overview, looking at news and roster developments, results, future line-ups, social media activity, key interviews, plus a timely commentary at the end. We will be featuring similar features on other promotions each week and each will be updated weekly.

•Top Stories of the Week

• WWE announced a new partnership with Netflix to produce a sitcom show featuring The Big Show. The show is called “The Big Show Show” and the first season will be ten episodes. Production starts in two weeks. You can read the announcement on WWE.com HERE.
  • WWE released their second quarter financials last week. For a full breakdown of what was reported, you can read Wade Keller’s summary HERE.
  • During that financial call, WWE announced the plans for different price tiers of WWE Network. Very little detail was provided, but it was announced that a free tier and a VIP tier will be added. No details about what specifically will be included in each tier, or the price difference, other than noting that the VIP tier will feature additional programming like the Evolve 10th Anniversary show earlier this month.
  • The O.C. all hold gold after Karl Anderson & Luke Gallows won the Raw Tag Team Championships on Raw this week.

•WWE Weekly Event Results

WWE Live Event – Raw Roster (Texarkana, Ark.) 7/26/19

– The venue announced that this event was cancelled by WWE on July 19

WWE Live Event – Raw Roster (Oklahoma City, Okla.) 7/27/19

(1) A.J. Styles beat Matt Hardy
(2) No Way Jose & Lucha House Party beat Eric Young, Robert Roode, Mojo Rawley, & EC3
(3) Braun Strowman beat Cesaro
(4) Becky Lynch (c) defeated Lacey Evans to retain the Raw Women’s Championship
(5) Drew McIntyre beat Cedric Alexander
(6) The O.C. beat Zack Ryder & Curt Hawkins
(7) Seth Rollins defeated Baron Corbin in a Street Fight

SOURCE

WWE Live Event – Smackdown Roster (Cape Girardeua, Mo.) 7/28/19

(1) Shinsuke Nakamura (c) beat Ali to retain the Intercontinental Championship
(2) Apollo Crews defeated Buddy Murphy
(3) The IIconics (c) beat The Kabuki Warriors to retain the WWE Women’s Tag Team Championships
(4) Aleister Black defeated Andrade
(5) Bayley (c) beat Charlotte Flair & Alexa Bliss to retain the Smackdown Women’s Championship
(6) The New Day (c) beat Heavy Machinery, AOP, and B-Team to retain the Smackdown Tag Team Championships
(7) Kofi Kingston (c) defeated Dolph Ziggler & Samoa Joe to retain the WWE Championship

SOURCE

WWE Live Event – Raw Roster (Springfield, Mo.) 7/28/19

(1) A.J. Styles (c) beat Matt Hardy to retain the United States Championship
(2) Lucha House Party & No Way Jose beat Eric Young, Robert Roode, Mojo Rawley, & EC3
(3) Braun Strowman beat Cesaro
(5) Drew McIntyre beat Cedric Alexander

SOURCE

If you attend a live event, please send results to pwtorch@pwtorch.com. Thanks!

•WWE TV Match Results

WWE Smackville (Aired on WWE Network) 7/27/19

(2) Kevin Owens defeated Elias
(3) Kofi Kingston (c) beat Samoa Joe and Dolph Ziggler to retain the WWE Championship

Monday Night Raw TV Results 7/29/19

(1) R-Truth & Carmella beat Drake Maverick & Renee Michelle (Drake’s Wife) in a Mixed Tag Team “Mosh Pit” (Lumberjack) Match. Truth retained the 24/7 Championship with the win
(2) Ricochet won a Gauntlet Match to earn a United States Championship match at SummerSlam
– Rey Mysterio pinned Cesaro
– Rey Mysterio rolled up Sami Zayn
– Andrade beat Mysterio
– Ricochet defeated Andrade to win the match
(3) The O.C. (Karl Anderson & Luke Gallows) beat The Revival and The Usos to win the Raw Tag Team Championships
(4) The Viking Raiders beat Johnny James & Cole Carter
(5) Becky Lynch beat Alexa Bliss via ref stoppage
(6) Becky Lynch defeated Nikki Cross
(7) Seth Rollins beat Dolph Ziggler after Brock Lesnar attacked Seth causing a Disqualification

24/7 Championship Update

• Mike Kanellis pinned R-Truth following the Mixed Tag match to win the Championship
    • Maria Kanellis forces Mike to lay down and be pinned allowing her to win the 24/7 Title

Smackdown Live TV Results 7/30/19

(1) Kevin Owens beat Drew McIntyre
(2) Alexa Bliss & Nikki Cross beat Bayley & Ember Moon when Bliss pinned Moon
(3) Dolph Ziggler defeated Finn Balor
(4) Ali beat Shinsuke Nakamura
(5) Kofi Kingston (w/ Big E & Xavier Woods) defeated A.J. Styles (w/ Karl Anderson & Luke Gallows)

205 Live Results (Aired on WWE Network) 7/30/19

(1) Brian Kendrick & Akira Tozawa defeated The Singh Brothers
(2) Lince Dorado beat Ariya Daivari
(3) Drake Maverick defeated Mike Kanellis in an Unsanctioned Match

WWE Main Event (Aired on Hulu and WWE Network) 8/1/19

(1) Lacey Evans beat Dana Brooke
(2) Eric Young, Robert Roode, & EC3 beat Lucha House Party

Source: WKPWP Post-Raw On-Site Correspondent

•Upcoming Lineups for Stadium/PPV Events

WWE SummerSlam on August 11 from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

• Brock Lesnar (c) vs. Seth Rollins for the Universal Championship
  • Kofi Kingston (c) vs. Randy Orton for the WWE Championship
  • Becky Lynch (c) vs. Natalya for the Raw Women’s Championship
  • Bayley (c) vs. Ember Moon for the Smackdown Women’s Championship
  • A.J. Styles (c) vs. Ricochet for the United States Championship
  • Kevin Owens vs. Shane McMahon
    – If Owens loses, he will quit WWE.
  • Finn Balor vs. “The Fiend” Bray Wyatt
  • Trish Stratus vs. Charlotte Flair
  • The Miz vs. Dolph Ziggler

•Upcoming Events

Fri. 8/2/19 WWE Live Event – Raw Roster, Allen County War Memorial Coliseum, Fort Wayne, Ind.
Sat. 8/3/19 WWE Live Event – Smackdown Roster, E. A. Diddle Arena, Bowling Green, Ky.
Sat. 8/3/19 WWE Live Event – Raw Roster, Huntington Center, Toledo, Ohio
Sun. 8/4/19 WWE Live Event – Smackdown Roster, David S. Palmer Arena, Danville, Ill.
Sun. 8/4/19 WWE Live Event – Raw Roster, Erie Insurance Arena, Erie, Pa.
Mon. 8/5/19 WWE Raw, PPG Paints Arena, Pittsburgh, Pa.
Mon. 8/5/19 WWE Live Event – Smackdown Roster, Wings Event Center, Kalamazoo, Mich.
Tue. 8/6/19 WWE Live Event – Little Caesars Arena, Detroit, Mich.
Sun. 8/11/19 WWE SummerSlam, ScotiaBank Arena, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Mon. 8/12/19 WWE Raw, ScotiaBank Arena, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Tue. 8/13/19 WWE Smackdown, ScotiaBank Arena, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Fri. 8/16/19 WWE Live Event – Raw Roster, Bismarck Event Center, Bismarck, N.D.
Sat. 8/17/19 WWE Live Event – Smackdown Roster, Toyota Center, Houston, Texas
Sat. 8/17/19 WWE Live Event – Raw Roster, Alerus Center, Grand Forks, N.D.
Sun. 8/18/19 WWE Live Event – Smackdown Roster, Chi Health Center, Omaha, Neb.
Sun. 8/18/19 WWE Live Event – Raw Roster, Fargodome, Fargo, N.D.
Mon. 8/19/19 WWE Raw, Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul, Minn.
Tue. 8/20/19 WWE Smackdown, Denny Sanford Premier Center, Sioux Falls, S.D.
Fri. 8/23/19 WWE Live Event – Raw Roster, CenturyLink Center, Bossier City, La.
Sat. 8/24/19 WWE Live Event – Smackdown Roster, Jockey Club Del Perú, Santiago, De Surco, Peru
Sat. 8/24/19 WWE Live Event – Raw Roster, Cajundome, Lafayette, La.
Sun. 8/25/19 WWE Live Event – Smackdown Roster, Coliseo Roberto Duran, Panama City, Panama
Sun. 8/25/19 WWE Live Event – Raw Roster, Mobile Civic Center, Mobile, Ala.
Mon. 8/26/19 WWE Raw, Smoothie King Center, New Orleans, La.
Tue. 8/27/19 WWE Smackdown, Raising Cane’s River Center, Baton Rouge, La.
Fri. 8/30/19 WWE Live Event – Raw Roster, Cross Insurance Center, Bangor, Maine
Sat. 8/31/19 WWE Live Event – Raw Roster, Cross Insurance Arena, Portland, Maine
Sun. 9/1/19 WWE Live Event – Raw Roster, Westchester County Center, White Plains, N.Y.
Mon. 9/2/19 WWE Raw, Royal Farms Arena, Baltimore, Md.
Tue. 9/3/19 WWE Smackdown, Norfolk Scope Arena, Norfolk, Va.
Thu. 9/5/19 WWE Live Event – Smackdown Roster, Movistar Arena, Santiago, Chile
Fri. 9/6/19 WWE Live Event – Raw Roster, Harbour Station, Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
Fri. 9/6/19 WWE Live Event – Smackdown Roster, Luna Park Stadium, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Sat. 9/7/19 WWE Live Event – Raw Roster, Halifax Forum, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Sun. 9/8/19 WWE Live Event – Super Show, War Memorial Arena, Syracuse, N.Y.
Mon. 9/9/19 WWE Raw, Madison Square Garden, New York City, N.Y.
Tue. 9/10/19 WWE Smackdown, Madison Square Garden, New York City, N.Y.

•Latest TV Highlights

Monday Night Raw

• Brock Lesnar made a surprise appearance on Monday to take out his SummerSlam opponent, Seth Rollins. Seth was having a match with Dolph Ziggler after Ziggler superkicked Shawn Michaels on Smackdown last week. After a few minutes, Brock’s music hit and Seth watched as he walked to the ring, just before entering, Dolph grabbed Seth’s leg which gave Brock an opening to attack. Brock suplexed Rollins a few times, then hit him with multiple F5’s onto an opened chair. Rollins landed ribs first onto the back of the chair, which did not fold on impact. Seth was put on a stretcher and rolled to the back. Medics rolled Rollins past Becky and Roman Reigns who both looked concerned. As the ambulance went to drive away, Lesnar appeared infront of the ambulance and forced the driver to stop. Lesnar opened up the back of the ambulance and yanked the stretcher out, with Seth still strapped to the cart. The stretcher was tipped over as Rollins freed himself in a desperation attempt at self-preservation. Lesnar picked him up and gave him an F5 onto the stretcher that was laying on its side before walking off.
  • Alexa Bliss revealed some video of a pre-Raw training session in the ring which featured Natalya working with Finlay and some wrestling students to try and counter Becky’s Dis-Arm-Her finisher. Seemingly out of nowhere Becky Lynch ran into the ring, kicked Finlay, then put Natalya in the Dis-Arm-Her herself. Bliss condemned Becky’s actions as the fans chanted for Becky. Becky appeared on the big screen behind Bliss and Nikki Cross. Becky said Natalya learned there is nowhere to run or hide when you do her wrong. Later in the night, Lynch had a match with Bliss, who faked an ankle injury early on forcing a match stoppage. Nikki was upset that Becky hurt Bliss, so she challenged her to a match and so that match began. Lynch won quickly, but after the match Bliss attacked Becky from behind. Natalya ran out which prompted Bliss and Cross to retreat so Natalya could lock in a Sharpshooter on Becky. Backstage Kayla Braxton interviewed Natalya said she’d like to challenge Becky to a submission match with “her superior sharpshooter vs Becky’s inferior Dis-Arm-Her,” but she won’t because she knows Becky wouldn’t agree to it, so she won’t bother.

Smackdown Live

• Jerry The King Lawler and Trish Stratus both made their returns to Smackdown tonight for a segment of King’s Court in Lawler’s hometown of Memphis, Tennessee. They tried explaining why Trish was in Memphis, but was not at Raw Reunion last week by saying Stratus was on vacation. Lawler transitioned saying all the legends were talking backstage about wanting to return to the ring for one final match. He then asked Stratus if she wishes she could come back for one more match. She responded saying she’ll always get that itch, but she’s a mom now and has to do her mom duties. Charlotte then interrupted. Charlotte dismissed the mother comments saying that there have been lots of WWE Superstars who were parents and they all have moms, so it sounds like an excuse. Charlotte then challenged her to a match at SummerSlam. Trish took a moment to think about it and Charlotte said now that WWE has evolved to no longer “shaking our assets” she understands that Trish can’t hang with The Queen. Trish accepted her challenge for SummerSlam.
  • Daniel Bryan was set to finally deliver his “career altering” announcement. Kayla Braxton was there to ask Bryan and Rowan what the announcement was. Bryan took a deep breath and turned and walked away again. No announcement from him again this week.
  • Roman Reigns was going to issue a SummerSlam challenge tonight, but never got the opportunity to. After the main event, Roman was shown walking towards Kayla Braxton to issue his challenge, when a piece of scaffolding tipped over nearly crushing Roman. Reigns fell down and thanks to some well places crates on the other side of the hallway, he was unharmed. He appeared shaken and instead of going to talk to Kayla, he turned and walked the other direction looking paranoid as if something else might happen to him. Meanwhile he was refusing medical attention from the medics who ran to check on him.

•WWE Social Media Highlights

Renee Young finally had enough of people complaining and tagging her on Twitter to say she’s not good at commentary. Good for her. She received a ton of support from wrestlers too.

https://twitter.com/ReneeYoungWWE/status/1155210213684908032

https://twitter.com/AlexaBliss_WWE/status/1155665559272546304

Randy and Kofi had a really quick exchange on Twitter. It may have gone longer, but Randy was pretty busy this week; he’s taking a nice long vacation in the Maldives.

https://twitter.com/TrueKofi/status/1155694609810558976

https://twitter.com/RandyOrton/status/1156578850194755585

Sheamus is sporting a new haircut and a new shirt..?

Guys, Kayla’s reaction to the Roman segment was real. No way it was faked.

https://twitter.com/KaylaBraxtonWWE/status/1156393157648687104

•Closing Commentary

– The Brock Lesnar and Seth Rollins angle was absolutely brutal. It’s nice to do something like that again to really get people interested in a story. The Rollins and Lesnar story has dominated 2019 and something like the angle on Monday can help get people interested again. Paul Heyman’s influence must be pretty substantial if he got Brock Lesnar to show up two weeks before a PPV instead of just the go-home show. Anyways, I thought it was a really brutal angle, but I’m curious where they go from here. They still have one more episode of Raw before SummerSlam, so does Lesnar show up on the final Raw next week? I don’t think they can just do another beat down angle, even if it’s Seth getting his revenge, so I’m interested to see the follow up next week. I just hope that Seth is selling the injury. I’m sure he will be, especially since it was so physical and they made a big deal of it on Smackdown. You never know though, Bobby Lashley was tackled through an LED wall with explosions, and wandered out the following Monday to destroy Rey Mysterio in ten seconds.

– Why would Natalya propose a submission match, then say she wasn’t going to propose it? I mean, what kind of third grade psychology is this? “I would, but I’m not going to.” What was that? If you want a submission match, challenge the woman to a submission match! Instead, we have to wait a week for Becky to make a comment about it and in return challenge Natalya to a submission match or something silly like that, or it gets ignored. It’s 50/50 at this point in my mind. If you’re going to throw that out there, why do it unless you’re going to add the stipulation right then and there? I don’t understand the point of holding on to that for a week.

– Speaking of stipulation matches, I really need this Kevin Owens vs. Shane McMahon match to be an “I Quit” match. It just fits so perfectly to me. Shane’s ultra-confident he will win and if he does Kevin Owens is going to quit WWE (which obviously isn’t happening) so why not portray that confidence and make it an “I quit” match that way Owens can quit right there on the spot. A match stipulation like this also allows Shane the ability to hide the fact he’s a terrible wrestler, it’s a win/win! Shane doesn’t even have to make it a loser leaves town situation either, just make the match an “I quit” match and if Owens loses, he’s quitting the match and the company.

– That Roman Reigns angle to end Smackdown was one of the funniest things I’ve seen in quite some time, and it was for all the wrong reasons. First, it felt really rushed. When the announcers threw to Kayla Braxton, I think there was about two minutes left in the show. There may have been more than that, I actually stream the shows so there could be a delay. Either way, there wasn’t much time left at all. Then they do something I’ve never seen them do before, have the interviewer awkwardly talk about how her guest is supposed to join her, oh and here he comes walking down the hallway casually as she rambles to fill time. Then, they use a camera angle they’ve never used before, which is an automatic tell to anyone who wasn’t already having alarms go off in their heads because of the time remaining or non-traditional start to the interview segment. So, Roman has the equipment fall on him and it looks like he was absolutely crushed by it, then mysteriously pops out to one side of it, but that’s not what happened. I went back and watched it slowly and the equipment actually falls onto crates across the hall essentially creating a bridge so he wasn’t actually crushed. At first I was really confused as to how he was okay, but then noticing that it made sense. During this we have about 200 camera cuts and conveniently we had a camera set up right where all the equipment was pushed or fell over. What are the odds?! Meanwhile, Kayla is awkwardly trying to sell losing her mind in fear and shock for Roman which felt so horribly insincere. I posted her tweet in response above where she claimed it was genuine, but there’s no way. I’ve seen better acting at a middle school play! After discovering Roman wasn’t crushed to death, he gets really rude and hostile towards the medics who are just looking out for his wellbeing and want to make sure he’s okay. Not a good look. So as he’s rudely shooing away the medics, he’s also power walking out of there like he knows someone did it intentionally instead of it being a potential accident. So, in short, I just want to say thank you to WWE for providing me with a good laugh at this segment. It was truly one of the most ridiculous things I have seen on television in some time.

NOW CHECK OUT OTHER WEEKLY OVERVIEWS HERE.

OR JUMP TO LAST WEEK’S WWE OVERVIEW: WEEKLY OVERVIEW – WWE (thru 7/24): Top stories of week, major show lineups, live event results, schedule of live events, noteworthy social media posts, more

Be the first to comment