SPOTLIGHTED PODCAST ALERT (YOUR ARTICLE BEGINS A FEW INCHES DOWN)...
TORCH TODAY – Friday, January 22, 2016
– If you’re on the East Coast, stay safe with the now-annual January blizzard approaching. ROH canceled their Friday show in North Carolina and MCW has canceled their Saturday show in Maryland.
Meanwhile, down in Florida on Friday night, WWE is kicking off Royal Rumble Weekend with a big NXT TV taping. Also, WWNLive starts a run of three EVOLVE shows in three days. (Full Weekend Events Preview)
– AXS TV continues the New Japan series at 9:00 p.m. EST with the semi-finals and finals of the 2015 New Japan Cup. … WWE Superstars on WWE Network features the Battle of Ohio between Dolph Ziggler and The Miz at 8:00 p.m. EST.
– WWE sent out an email blast to Network subscribers noting that a “behind the curtain” look at WrestleMania 31 will air Sunday night after the Royal Rumble. (Video Preview)
– The latest from the Royal Rumble odds is international oddsmaker 5Dimes has released a number of prop bets related to the Rumble and undercard matches. Perhaps the most ridiculous item are the odds of Curtis Axel, Adam Rose, Alex Riley, and Devon winning the Rumble. All four are +15,000 to The Field at -999999. (Thanks to PWTorch correspondent David)
– C.M. Punk talked to Fox Sports about not knowing if he’ll be ready for his first UFC fight this summer. “Sometimes you’ve just got do it,” Punk said. Punk got psychological and talked about just enjoying the process, not getting too up or too down before the fight happens. (Full Analysis at MMATorch.com)
– T.J. Perkins (Puma/Manik) talked about TNA deciding not to renew his contract as part of the annual opt-out option for both sides that is built into the contract.
“Basically my contract had come up and there was I believe a company option and basically I was coming up as a restricted free agent (using sports terms) and they had options to retain me for another year. I don’t know if its because and I am sure they are probably restructuring their contracts because of the Pop TV stuff so I don’t know if that maybe part of it. It came up for renewal and they just said that they won’t be renewing it and that was it,” Perkins said on the “Two Man Power Trip of Wrestling” podcast.
– Brock Lesnar is scheduled for a rare Smackdown appearance on the Road to WrestleMania. A California newspaper is advertising Lesnar for the February 16 Smackdown taping in Ontario, Calif.
– WWE has added a show in Spain to their post-WrestleMania European Tour. The date is Saturday, April 23 in Malaga, Spain. Tickets go on-sale next Friday. (Thanks to Sebastian)
– Dave Bautista is scheduled to be in Atlanta in February when filming kicks off for the second “Guardians of the Galaxy” movie, where Batista plays Drax.
– A new documentary on the toll of being a pro wrestler has been released by TV filmmaker Mark Chervinsky titled “At What Cost? An Anatomy of Professional Wrestling.” Chervinsky talked to wrestling reporter John Corrigan about the project at WrestleDelphia.com.
– WWNLive released a mini-documentary on former DGUSA champion Johnny Gargano documenting his run as top champion that ran through March 2015.
– Ahead of the Royal Rumble, HalloweenCostumes.com released an infographic on their Top 11 favorite finishers in WWE.
Image Created by HalloweenCostumes.com