The following is the latest in a new series of weekly in-depth articles exclusive to PWTorch which will help put in perspective major wrestling promotions with a weekly overview, looking at news and roster developments, results, future line-ups, social media activity, key interviews, plus a timely commentary at the end. We will be featuring similar features on other promotions each week and each will be updated weekly.
•Top Stories of the Week
- The card for G1 supercard, is coming together, based on the 60 minute draw between Taven and Lethal. The match has been announced to be a triple threat ladder match for the ROH World Championship.
- Independent performer, David Starr, posted a two and half minute video talking about the policies and politics of ROH’s parent company Sinclair Broadcasting. If you are unsure of the policies that Starr is referencing in his video please see this link youtube.com. You can also see Starr’s now deleted post HERE.
- Flip Gordon announced that he has been cleared to wrestle again. One would assume that he and Bully Ray will complete their feud at MSG.
•Live Event Results
ROH 17th Anniversary PPV
3/15/19 at 6pm
Las Vegas, NV at Sam’s Town
- Marty Scurll defeated Kenny King at 13:00
- Jeff Cobb (c) defeated Shane Taylor at 14:00 to retain the ROH World Television Championship.
- Mayu Iwatani (c) defeated Kelly Klein at 9:00 to retain the WOH World Championship
- Jay Lethal (c) and Matt Taven fought to a 60 minute draw. Jay Lethal is still the ROH World Championship as a result.
- Rush defeated Bandido at 15:00
- Villain Enterprises (PCO and Brody King) defeated The Briscoes (Jay and Mark Briscoe) at 20:00 to become the new ROH Tag-Team Champions.
•Upcoming Major Show: G1 Supercard PPV
G1 Supercard PPV
4/6/19 at 7:30pm
New York, NY at Madison Square Garden
This is the card as it currently stands…
- Jay White vs. The New Japan Cup Winner for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship
- Guerrillas of Destiny (Tama Tonga and Tanga Loa) (c) vs. Villain Enterprises (PCO and Brody King) (c) in a Title for title match.
- Taiji Ishimori (c) vs. Dragon Lee vs. Bandido for the IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Championship
- Honor Rumble
- Jay Lethal (c) vs. Matt Taven vs. Marty Scurll in a ladder match for the ROH World Championship
- Will Ospreay vs. Jeff Cobb in a title for title match.
- Bully Ray vs. TBA in a New York Street Fight
- Rush vs. Dalton Castle
- Road to G1 Supercard – 3/31/19 in Baltimore, MD at UMBC Event Center.
- G1 Supercard (Pay-Per-View Event) 4/6/19 in New york, N.Y. at Madison Square Garden.
- Steel City Excellence (Honor Club Event) 4/13/19 in Pittsburgh, PA at Stage AE
- Masters of the Craft (Honor Club Event) 4/14/19 in Columbus, Ohio at Express live
- The Crockett Cup (Honor Club Event) 4/27/19 in Concord, NC at Cabarrus Arena
- ROH War of the Worlds (Honor Club Event) 5/8/19 in Buffalo, NY at Buffalo Riverworks
- ROH War of the Worlds (Honor Club Event) 5/9/19 in Toronto, ON Canada at Ted Reeve Arena
- ROH War of the Worlds (Honor Club Event) 5/11/19 in Grand Rapids, MI at Deltaplex
- ROH War of the Worlds (Honor Club Event) 5/12/19 in Chicago, IL at The Odeum In Villa Park
- ROH State of the Art (Honor Club Event) 6/1/19 in Kent, WA at Showare Center
- ROH State of the Art (Honor Club Event) 6/2/19 in Portland, OR at Viking Pavilion
All current live events are located on rohwrestling.com.
•Latest TV Highlights: 3/3/19 ROH Wrestling
ROH TV Results
March 17th, 2019
Lakeland, FL at RP Funding Center
Airing on Sinclair Networks and rohwrestling.com
- Silas Young and The Briscoes (Jay and Mark Briscoe) defeated Shinobi Shadow Squad (Cheesburger, Ryan Nova, and Eli Isom) at 7:43
- Rhett Titus had a backstage segment calling out the NWA’s Willie Mack.
- The Bouncers (Beer City Bruiser and Brian Milonas) defeated Brian Johnson and Joe Keys at 5:30.
- Willie Mack talked about his match next week, in a taped video.
- Madison Rayne (w/ Sumie Sakai) defeated Thunder Rosa (w/ Holidead) at 8:13
- Zack Sabre Jr. defeated Rocky Romero at 14:22
Click this link to read our full report: pwtorch.com
•LATEST “TALKING HONOR” PWTORCH LIVECAST COVERING ROH
“17th Anniversary.” This week, Harley R. Pageot and Emily Fear discuss the 17th Anniversary PPV in its entirety, as well as weekly TV. Plus: a look at the new matches announced for Madison Square Garden and listener mail on who defeats Jay Lethal for the world title and the possibility of Matt Taven splitting from The Kingdom.
-On Apple Podcasts HERE
-Or search “PWTorch” or “Pro Wrestling Torch” on your podcast app of choice
•Social Media Scene
Below is this week’s round-up of social media posts from ROH personalities.
Flip is Back!
Ehh, nothing a little superglue couldn't fix. pic.twitter.com/FT8ZQb4oTL
— silas young (@lastrealmanROH) March 19, 2019
Thank you, Cary.
Thank you Las Vegas to making the @ringofhonor 17th Anniversary weekend so special!!@ringofhonor @ROHDelirious @realBobbyCruise @TheLethalJay @jaybriscoe84 @PCOisNotHuman @Brodyxking @RealJeffCobb @Lagana @MattTaven @MartyScurll @shane216taylor @IanRiccaboni pic.twitter.com/P75YeplXOC
— Cary Silkin (@rohcary) March 19, 2019
A lot has been written about the World Championship match between Lethal and Taven. I agree with the consensus of those who write and talk about ROH here at PWTorch.
The overall theme is that the first 30 minutes of the match was slow and boring. The run in in the middle of the match was weird and made no sense in the terms of the match.
Only the last 8-10 minutes of the match felt noteworthy. The 60 minute draw overall was interesting, but was unnecessary for the triple threat match at G1 Supercard. While I like that a wrestling company will try something new, I also think that we cannot just let things go because they took a chance.
If – and that is a big if – the triple threat at G1 Supercard is a great 4+ star match that relies somehow on this match to tell a great story, then I think the two matches will be an interesting two match watch in the future.
But if the ROH title match is just fine in a few weeks, then I really will question what the reasoning for this match was. Lethal is forever protected. If you didn’t want Taven to lose, then have him beat Lethal or have him get DQ’d somehow and still make the G1 match a triple threat.
I watched the match twice. I suggest you do the same if you are passionate about wrestling and ROH. I was furious when I first watched the match; the second viewing helped to put the match and story in perspective. I went from giving the match 1 star to 1 ¾ stars upon a second viewing.
What were your thoughts on the match? As well as the PPV in general?
Tyler has been a wrestling fan for 20 years. He’s from Columbus, Ohio. Check him out on Twitter @ringoftyler and check out his podcast @tandbwrestling.
NOW CHECK OUT OTHER WEEKLY OVERVIEWS HERE.