WWE Extreme Rules PPV News & Notes
– Seth Rollins returned to WWE to get back in the WWE Title picture. After Roman Reigns beat A.J. Styles to retain the WWE Title in the PPV main event, Rollins crashed Reigns’s post-match celebration. Rollins stood tall over Reigns holding the WWE Title belt that he never lost to close the PPV.
This was after Reigns and Styles battled for 20+ minutes in an Extreme Rules match that included involvement from The Club’s Karl Anderson & Doc Gallows and The Usos.
– The buzz-worthy match of the night was a fatal four-way Intercontinental Title match between defending champion The Miz, Kevin Owens, Sami Zayn, and Cesaro. Miz snuck in a pin on Cesaro after nearly 20 minutes of amazing action. Earlier in the match, Miz tapped out to Cesaro, but the ref was pre-occupied and did not see it.
– Rusev captured the U.S. Title from Kalisto in the only title change of the night. Kalisto sold injuries from Raw, which Rusev capitalized on to get a submission victory.
– Charlotte retained the Women’s Title over Natalya when the Flairs pulled a ruse by having Dana Brooke come down to ringside dressed like Ric Flair, who was banned from ringside.
– The New Day retained the Tag Titles over The Vaudevillains in the other title match of the show.
– Also on the show, Dean Ambrose beat Chris Jericho in an Asylum Cage match that was given the most ring time of the night, but was in a tough position following the four-way IC Title match. Ambrose eventually won by hitting Dirty Deeds into thumbtacks.
– Noelle Foley and the Foley Family were shown at ringside to promote WWE Network’s summer programming.
– The McMahon Family authority figures Shane and Stephanie McMahon did not appear on the show. This was despite being heavily involved in the Charlotte-Natalya build-up, including setting stipulations ensuring Ric would not factor in the Women’s Title match. The issue will obviously be dealt with Monday on Raw.